2015 ES. SCU error codes 44 and 95 after dead battery. Help?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter in AL

Reaction score
This problem first appeared after I let the battery go completely dead. What I saw (after taking care of the battery) was in the right lcd the damping symbol with numbers 44 and 95 alternating under it. Also, the suspension warning light was on. The bike runs, but the light stays on and the screens fro damping and preload dont show themselves.

I searched, and found a post titled ``Suspension Control Unit error 44 on 2015 ES'' which seemed promising since I had error 44 (and 95) showing up after a dead battery too. This post mentioned executing diagnostic mode 84 or some such. I have the Factory Service Manual (FSM) so I thought I could figure it out.

According to the FSM 44 means failure to read memory, and 95 indicates preload motor failure. For both errors, the first thing to do according to the FSM troubles shooting chart page 8-161 is to execute diagnostic 84.

For the record, and in case I missed something (and if you know this process and see I did this wrong please say so!!) this is how you execute dianostic 84, and what is supposed to happen.

a. with key off, press the tcu and reset buttons at the same time and hold them. turn on the key and hold untill the right LCD changes to DIAG.

b. release and press both again until ECU and SCU appear in a two choice menu under DIAG

(note sometimes step 2 skips)

c. with ECU and SCU appearing in a two choice menu under DIAG, toggle between them with tcs button.

d. Press both buttons. Screen 09 appears. There are also screens numbered 84 , 62, and 61. They change when pressing the reset button.

e. Get to screen 84. hold both buttons down. According to FSM, this tells the scu to re set the preload adjustment. If it succeeds, 00 appears under the 84 and the suspension light goes out. If it fails F0 apears under the 84.

Unfortunately, I get F0 under 84. what comes next isnt pretty. According to the troubleshooting chart , the next steps are

2. Manually reset the preload adjustment position. You have to take the whole back of the bike off practically, separate the dc motor from the remote preload adjuster (the canister behind the right side muffler mount/passenger peg holder) and turn the preload to one turn away from full preload (counterclockwise till it stops then one turn clockwise). This is described on page 4-100 of the FSM. Incidently, although the damping adjustment motors are apparently stepper type motors, the pre load adjustement motor is a brush type permanent magnet DC motor.

Then you re attempt diagnostic 84. If code F0 appears again, FSM says to replace the rear shock absorber assembly. $3.5k. Ouch! Fortunately, the pre load adjuster motor has its own part number and lists as available online several places.

3. Replace the scu. 4. Replace the wire harness.

What I have done and have not done (besides the long narrative about diagnostic 84). I havent replaced the motor. I have checked the wire harness for continuity of sensor leads, ground integrity, power supply. I have verified the battery is good. I have verified that the DC motor works, as in supplied 12vdc directly it runs the shock pre load up and down. There are 4 other pins in its plug that evidently are for positioning data. I dont know what they should do. (schematic of this circuit on page 8-157 of FSM) I tried starting the bike without the preload motor plugged in. This results in the same error codes, 44 and 95, as with it plugged in. I tried turning on the bike with the scu unplugged. This results in a bunch of new error messages. Oh one more thing I did. I went fishing for information at the Yamaha dealer. That did not go well.

Any ideas? Any one know what I am missing here? Just throw parts at it till it works again? Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
First things first: Does it have Y.E.S. on it? If you're not sure the previous owner did it, call your dealer and run the VIN. If it does, take it in.

I'm presuming you didn't disconnect the battery, simply charged it on the bike. It is possible the computer didn't start up properly. Try disconnecting the battery, wait a few seconds, then reconnect it.

Ignacio: It does not have Y.E.S. I bought it out of town, used and asked. the seller said no. Later verified by the local dealer, no warranty.

JamesW: Thanks
smile.png

mcatrophy: When I found I had left the ignition on, I charged it in the bike with a battery tender. Since then during my intense wire harness investigation, it spent a couple days without battery.

Also, there are a couple things I would edit in my original post which I dont seem to be able to do:

...remote preload adjuster (the canister behind the right side muffler mount/passenger peg holder)... should be "left side". I am side challenged it seems

and

....(note sometimes step 2 skips).... should be "step b"

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the same problem on my 15 Super Tenere ES. The procedure you describe sounds the same and I remember having to try the reset procedure a number of times. The “two seconds” in the manual was actually about 5. At least that was my experience.

Yamajet: I read about somebody getting error 44 after a dead battery, did you get 44 and 95 on your tenere? (44 is failure to read eeprom, 95 is defective preload adjustment motor)