2016 A model TBS question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndivita

Reaction score
With some trepidation I am considering performing a TBS on my new-to-me 2016 A model. It has 22,000 miles on it and I was unable to get a full accounting of prior service records from the owner that sold it to the dealer from whom I bought it. It seems to run great however. I know the TBS is called for every 6 to 8k miles or so. 

I've had three prior FJRs but honestly I'm not mechanically inclined. I'm pretty good at monkey see monkey do though. I've always had the dealer do the throttle body synch work. Never tried it myself but I have been under the gas tank of a FJR way back in 2006 for other reasons. 

I have recently watched the excellent TWO video on performing the TB synchronization on a 2014 FJR. I think I could do that if I purchased the vacuum gauge tool. However, I'm under the impression from a 2019 post on this forum that the 2016 model and later years may present special access problems when performing the synchronization.

Trying to save some money here and be a little more self reliant.  

Thoughts? Opinions?

Do it yourself or get someone else to do it.   Absolutely no need to do a TBS on a Gen II or III as often as 6 or 8k miles, IMHO.  Do it (or have it done) after major maintenance - such as valve check/adjust or throttle body cleaning. It just doesn't go off that quickly and will have little effect on operation other than being a little smoother at low rpm.

Didn't think access was especially different or difficult on a later Gen III but I haven't done one.

Thanks. I will do it myself. I much appreciate your thoughts. 
I understand wanting to do it yourself.  I had fork seals and a front wheel bearing done once by a dealer (as well as recall stuff).  Other than that, I haven't had them do anything else in almost 300,000 FJR miles (2 different bikes).

Sorry I can't be much help on TBS differences with later Gen III.