2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ECU continuously adjusts the fuel injection trim to maintain a 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio (stoichiometric ratio) in a warmed up engine. As the motorcycle gains altitude air pressure drops resulting in less oxygen being available, so the ECU reduces the fuel trim to maintain the 14.7:1 ratio. Fuel is conserved (mileage goes up) due to the reduction in fuel trim but there is a corresponding drop in engine power.
.. which means, for the same load - maintaining the same speed - you need more throttle to compensate for the drop in power - right?

At static cruising speed your AFR is still 14.7:1 so apparent power is the same. The power loss won't be noticeable until larger throttle openings where the engine can't produce the peak design power due to insufficient oxygen.

Sheesh, like Zilla said a few weeks back, sometimes you guys just sound so effing smart!

If cold air intake kits increase performance, maybe just daisy chain a bunch of them together in a row and strap them on. If one is good, 10 has to be 10 times better. I'll post back up in a bit with my findings.....

So the next logical step in performance at higher altitudes for our beloved feejers is to add a turbo charger to regain some of that lost oxygen density?

Last edited by a moderator:
The ECU continuously adjusts the fuel injection trim to maintain a 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio (stoichiometric ratio) in a warmed up engine. As the motorcycle gains altitude air pressure drops resulting in less oxygen being available, so the ECU reduces the fuel trim to maintain the 14.7:1 ratio. Fuel is conserved (mileage goes up) due to the reduction in fuel trim but there is a corresponding drop in engine power.
.. which means, for the same load - maintaining the same speed - you need more throttle to compensate for the drop in power - right?
Yes, but at cruise it'll end up on a curve that doesn't intersect the sea level equivalent until you need more throttle.
At static cruising speed your AFR is still 14.7:1 so apparent power is the same. The power loss won't be noticeable until larger throttle openings where the engine can't produce the peak design power due to insufficient oxygen.
Exactly my thoughts considering cruise throttle is probably between 10-15% a little movement makes a big difference.
Sheesh, like Zilla said a few weeks back, sometimes you guys just sound so effing smart!
So I'm guessing the next logical step in performance at high altitude for our beloved feejers is to add a turbo charger to get some of that oxygen density back, kind of like what they do to performance piston engined aircraft?
How about an SV650 that can keep up with a TLR or RC51?https://www.youtube.com/embed/5Ri7FkyX9GY

Fuel is conserved (mileage goes up) because of the thinner air, less aerodynamic resistance, hence less power (fuel) needed to overcome that resistance.

Best deal I found on a 2016;

Don & Roy's Motorsports in WI.
262-786-3220

2016 Yamaha FJR 1300A(blue)
Retail: $16390
Discount: $3391
Sale: $12999
Freight/Prep: $500
Doc $109
Total: $13608

No weeping on my end, I just bought a sweet 2013 KYcherry and I'm very happy with it.
punk.gif
Pictures in a day or so.

I bought mine from Fox Motorsports in Grand Rapids, Mi. for $14,800.00 OTD including all taxes and a new plate. I thought that was very fair!

Otherwise I was going to drive or fly to Minneapolis for one.....
rolleyes.gif

Best deal I found on a 2016;
Don & Roy's Motorsports in WI.

262-786-3220

2016 Yamaha FJR 1300A(blue)

Retail: $16390

Discount: $3391

Sale: $12999

Freight/Prep: $500

Doc $109

Total: $13608

No weeping on my end, I just bought a sweet 2013 KYcherry and I'm very happy with it.
punk.gif
Pictures in a day or so.

https://www.heinenmotorsports.com/yamaha.html
$13,549 out the door.Not to much less

Minneapolis, MN

I bought mine from Fox Motorsports in Grand Rapids, Mi. for $14,800.00 OTD including all taxes and a new plate. I thought that was very fair!
Otherwise I was going to drive or fly to Minneapolis for one.....
rolleyes.gif
Congrats!! Those look like some good deals!!

I bought a 2016 ES last week. Put the obligatory first 600-miles on her this past weekend running up to EOM and back.

As all you old timers who know me from way back can just imagine, I have already amassed a few thoughts with the full intention of spewing them here. I'm going to initially focus on the power curve changes, new 6-speed transmission, and some recommended settings for the ES suspension. It will probably be the dead of winter before I park it long enough to tear down the suspension and look that deep into her innerds. For right now, she's hot enough on the outside to keep me busy.
rolleyes.gif

Suffice it to say there's enough different about the 2016ES from either of my previous Gen-II or Gen-I bikes, that comparisons must be drawn and explained. For now I have to behave myself (most of the time) and stay under 5,000 rpm (again, most of the time) and focus on wearing out those gawdawful Battlax BT-023 POS tires so I don't feel unbearably wasteful spooning on real performance rubber. 6th gear and 1,000 miles here I come!!!