2016 LED Headlight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N4HHE

Reaction score
Finished mounting Helibars Friday and couldn't resit an extended ride no matter it was getting dark. Returned home with a smile about 100 miles later, at least 40 miles dark enough to see the headlight on the road.

Today in sunlight a co-rider commented, "Your headlight is off." There seems to be a pilot light, or DRL in each assembly but no bulk light until I flash or select high beams. Then later when he was riding ahead he called back to say, "Your headlights are on now."

When I got home there was no light shining on my garage door then suddenly there was.

Have re-examined the re-routing of wires for the Helibars and can find no evidence of damage, or tugging. Stuffing my hand inside the fairing tugging and shaking can't make headlight go on or off.

Am stumped there might be some sort of operator error. When off its both sides, but there is something like a DRL on the inside edges.

Have I missed something in the owner's manual? Am thankful I didn't start pulling wires yet for my Garmin 595LM.

Sounds like a relay or connection issue. Low beams should stay on upon starting, I would think. Maybe a faulty low/high beam switch. I'd be headed back to the dealer to let them eliminate the problem on a brand new bike.

Raining today here, I can go out to the shed and check mine when I get home from work but I do know that when I picked mine up Friday, the dealer tech was really liking the new led's including the new running light led's on the front, this is something new for them and us as well. With the key on but bike not started, he showed me the running lights on the front. I didn't pay attention when getting on it to take it home, but I'm betting the headlights don't come on until the bike is started? I know my Gen I is like that. I'll post up later if someone else doesn't get it by then. Could it be the connector from the left control pod hi/low beam switch got tugged partially loose where the pod wires enter into the frame near the steering head?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, lights off until engine running. My problem is the low beam enters "off" mode when running. Then sometimes turns itself on. High beam always works on demand when engine running.

With engine running the light should be on. Should stay on when engine stopped with kill/start switch.

I noticed on mine when I got home that there are three lights one each side. Going from outside to inside, there are the running lights, low beams, high beams. On mine, with the bike running, low beams are constant, when the high beams are selected, the low beams stay on and the high beams come on also. When you select high beam on yours, do the low beams then come on too, or only just the high beams? Trying to eliminate whether it's the low beam circuit or switch.

Yes, lights off until engine running. My problem is the low beam enters "off" mode when running. Then sometimes turns itself on. High beam always works on demand when engine running. With engine running the light should be on. Should stay on when engine stopped with kill/start switch.
Warranty. Take it back to the dealer. Biggest problem will be getting him to believe you, because intermittents never show up when you take them back. But it is a real safety issue.

Spent a little time studying it today, and it wasn't failing this afternoon.
upset.gif

Ignition on, engine not yet running, there is decorative lighting around the perimeter of the headlights.

Low beams appear to use multiple LED elements. What I saw Sunday was just one LED illuminating in each fixture. Bike threw a very weak small spot or two on the wall. The strange thing is both left and right were doing exactly the same which makes the engineer in me suspect its somehow deliberate. Had me thinking some sort of DRL mode was operating.

I'd doubt myself but two others witnessed.

Dealers are closed on Mondays around here. Will be calling tomorrow.

In one of the reviews I've read they had several bikes following a camera car to video the cornering lights. They stated that the corning lights failed on a couple of bikes, but then mysteriously started working again. Sounds like there might be some lighting issues with them and the low beams on some bikes.

In one of the reviews I've read they had several bikes following a camera car to video the cornering lights. They stated that the corning lights failed on a couple of bikes, but then mysteriously started working again. Sounds like there might be some lighting issues with them and the low beams on some bikes.
But this is related to ES (AE) bikes - with cornering light function. N4HHE has A version (based on bike description in profile) - without cornering lights.

But this is related to ES (AE) bikes - with cornering light function. N4HHE has A version (based on bike description in profile) - without cornering lights.
True. I was just making the point that these are new bikes and there could be some issues for Yamaha to work out. The cornering lights on the ES. N4HHE's low beam issue. Check engine light coming on for me and one other, etc....

Fretting over it the past few days I'm going to blame my friend whom I was following, who claimed my headlights were out and/or dim like DRLs.

The fancy new LED headlights are highly focused, thats the whole point. That means they should not be shining into other driver's eyes. He thought something was wrong when my lights were not shining in his eyes during the day. And this was after a 40 mile ride the night before in the dark when my headlights worked perfectly. And on short rides at night since because I'm afraid they will fail. But this time I intend to document the "failure" with camera. No failure.

So today he reported my lights in failure mode again. We stopped and I had to lay in front and look up into the lights to see they were working. Later my friend agreed my seemed only to be "working" when rounding the top of a hill. Other times "on" but dim. Much more "on" than just the perimeter decorative trim lighting when ignition is on but engine has not been started.

So right now I'm chalking this up as simple confusion over new technology.

So today he reported my lights in failure mode again. We stopped and I had to lay in front and look up into the lights to see they were working. Later my friend agreed my seemed only to be "working" when rounding the top of a hill.....

So right now I'm chalking this up as simple confusion over new technology.
There it is!

Thank you so much for following up on this one and attacking the problem!
punk.gif
It would have been easy to let the thread slip into obscurity...only to come up again with a specter of fear and doubt.

Logical explanation it would seem. I commonly see bikes who seem to have their headlights aimed too low and they certainly are not as visible as they could be. If they are in my group, I suggest they raise the aim to the point where the headlights appear much brighter, yet they are still in proper aim....... what I'm saying is they may be aimed too low at the factory for your weight and suspension settings, and you could improve your visibility. A wee trip at night might confirm... I'm also not one to recommend running with the highs on all the time, that can set off another set of issues, like glare and not being able to see your signals, etc.

I rode about 100 miles the night before my friends reported this "problem". The last 40 or so in dark enabled only by my headlights. Kept thinking about that when it was said my low beams were intermittent. If so, then I was very lucky the night before.

I happen to think my friend's 2014 low beams are too high and/or bright during the day. Original bulbs.

I will also thank you for following up and letting all of us know that there is nothing to worry about with the headlights. We all know how these Internet Rumors get started and there is no stopping them. Well Done.

Considering this, you may want to get in the habit of riding around with your headlights on high beam in the daylight hours.
First, that is illegal.

Second, the 2016 LED headlights will burn trees on high. Even during the day.

Show me a law that says riding with your high beams on in the daytime is illegal.

NHTSA, State sponsored rider training classes, the MSF, and the conclusions of the Hurt Report all encourage you to do exactly this for your own safety.

No headlight on the planet will dazzle an oncoming motorist in broad daylight. They may annoy some dimwitted driver, but at least they will see you better and perhaps not run you down (unintentionally).

Except when I put my brights on - the LR4's come on full blast and I don't think anyone can disagree that those things are so bright, there will be problems...