2017-12-13 Tank Drilling for Aux Tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm running 1/4" fuel line. Hard to tell how long it takes to transfer because it depends how much I have in the main tank. 30 minutes or so I'd estimate.
My 2006 Joel2Maker tank runs 1/4" pumped and takes right at 30 minutes too.

Don is doing this so that he has extra gas for my Harley friend Jeff. We don't want to waste time going to town for gas and then taking the gas back out to Jeff.
coolsmiley02.gif
..and it sure is fun to watch Jeff suck too. JSNS!

For what purpose are you folks adding an auxiliary fuel supply? Are you going into remote area where there is no gas for hundreds of miles? Are you doing Iron Butt rides that require you to go beyond piss stops and food? Seems to me you can get gas in the lower 48 States in almost any location within the range of a full tank of gas on a FJR. No offense, I'm an old guy and even when I was young riding beyond about 200 without a stop was painful. Is riding beyond a reasonable length of time healthy and safe? Reasonable is subjective as it depends on rest, health, and emotional factors.
omg2.gif
Depending on conditions and speed an FJR can burn off a load of fuel in way less than 200 miles. A fuel cell is a great insurance policy when you need it.:):)
Amen on that one. Especially in the western deserts.

And in Neveda the GPS says there is a gas station only 104 miles away. But the GPS doesn't tell you that it's been closed for a year and a half.
not_i.gif
Been there done that. Then I lost my keys in the dark.

But the real reason for an aux tank? It looks cool when your Candy Butt Ass president!

<snip> Seems to me you can get gas in the lower 48 States in almost any location within the range of a full tank of gas on a FJR. <snip>
The problem is that there is seldom a gas station at the end of a full tank and there are plenty of places in the western U.S. and Canada where gas can be spotty or the gas station is not a place I'd want to stop to take a piss let alone fill my tank. I've had an aux tank on for 300,000 Km's and it's been wonderful to be able to ride pretty much as far as I want without worrying finding gas... assuming that I have some in the aux tank. I initially put it on for IB rides but I haven't done one in years but still get a lot of use from the extra range. I normally ride with it 1/2 full ( about 1.5 gallons ). My legs and bladder are approaching 63 years old and those parts of me aren't complaining yet.

Last edited by a moderator: