2017 Tour of Honor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sites were released last night. I can't ride this weekend, but I was happy to see that

(1) someone posted a .gpx file of all sites on the website, and

(2) the website posted .pdf files by state/region with all the pics on a single page (I used to go through the sites and save every pic on my phone)

My pre-riding workload for TOH was reduced by about 98% this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
not really a slabby guy, but what the heck. good cause, and something different. thanks for the information
smile.png

Usually you do some slab in between regions, but there is a fair amount of backroads involved- that's part of the whole point.

not really a slabby guy, but what the heck. good cause, and something different. thanks for the information
smile.png
There are plenty of ways to get to the bonus locations without hitting slab... I think that's the general idea!
wink.png

EDIT: There are some other fun bonuses like Statues of Liberty, etc... check it out on the website.

Usually it's configured so, if you wanted to, you could hit all the sites in a day and have completed a TOH/IBA sanctioned SS1K. Or you can go liesurely and hit sites when you feel like it. You'll see places you'd never see otherwise.

This is my third year doing TOH and I've got to say I've learned more history and met more people as a result of this ride than I would have ever imagined. Great excuse to go for a ride!

I went out on Sunday afternoon to grab memorial PA6 located in York, PA only about 20 minutes from my house. Left that location to go get a picture of the post office in East Berlin, PA for the letter "E" for the Team Strange Love and Mercy tour. I'm finishing up getting the picture and storing my rally flag when an elderly couple pulled up in front of me to drop mail in the outside box and they asked what I was up to. I explained a little bit about the 2 tours I'm signed up for and after telling them about the Korean War memorial in York and showing them my picture they revealed to me that their neighbor was a Korean War veteran and had been involved in getting the funds raised and the memorial installed! They were thrilled and couldn't wait to get home and tell this neighbor about it. They said he'd be honored to learn that memorial was one of the 7 chosen for PA in this year's TOH. These are the sort of things I love about these events.

Anybody not yet signed up, go for it!

im probably not the normal fjr rider, my 16es out of the box was on the trailer from the dealer 75 miles away, i never heard it run, and trailered to arkansas still with no plates, shhhhhhhh, don't tell the elders.
smile.png
i did bring extra trip tires for the bike, when the new ones were used up.

my c14 i joked that "she, the bike" didn't know she was fat, and rail it like a sport bike plus hundreds of hours of track time, fjr has been more of the same, not as hard or the track yet. .

this for sure will be different, some destination, and different riding.

hey, can these pictures be with a bike on a trailer and a flag ?? lol Smokies bound in a few weeks, and Arkansas after that.

^ Are you sure you're not a Harley owner? Bike on a trailer? LOL. AT least back it off and ride it back up after you take the pictures.

Usually you do some slab in between regions, but there is a fair amount of backroads involved- that's part of the whole point.
Don't post much here, but Bill is right. Some off road slab Saturday in SC, plus lots of friggin traffic in Charleston and Myrtle Beach
grrr.gif
Plus I threw in a bunch of BMR stuff so that made it a busy day.
smile.png
And I didn't do a SS1K, just did 750 miles.
no.gif
I was toast after that.

Second​ that congrats to Griff. Got 3 in Saturday hope to get rest soon enough to place for SC myself. Pollen was horrible and had fun cleaning out helmet after sneezing lol.

Still shedding some snow up here in New England, but we're getting started on some of the TOH locations.

So, just an update from me, I headed out early on the first day to complete all 7 Montana sites, but had technical problems and one massive weather issue that kept me from completing.

Then more snows came and family commitments, that kept me off the road until this past sunday. I completed a 650 mile round trip (in 10:45) to get my 7th and final site for the TOH.

Qualified for 3rd place in Montana..

I fell in love with my Garmin 595LM along the way. it actually has a comedic personality, it kept trying to turn me up mountain roads I had never heard of, near Flathead lake. They tended to be private roads though(?) so I stayed on the main road.

Great cause.