2500+ mile ride cut short 200 miles from home!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

Sorry to hear about your mis-hap. Best part as all have stated is that you are okay physically. You did the right prep having the isurance.

Just glad to hear that you are okay, the rst can be fixed.

Been thru Valdosta many times on my trips north to Illinois.

I also am glad you are OK and only have to suffer through some bike repairs for a little while. It does however bring to mind my amazement at the LD crowd that does rides like this for up to 11 days in a row, with minimal damage to life, limb and property. I made a 600 mile trip from visiting my son in Raleigh down to my Central Florida home (+/- 600 miles) and I was toast when I was done. I truly am awed by the LD crowd.

What I should have done was to reattach everything before pulling the bike around to another pump. Instead, I just set the tank bag on top of the tank. As I started to pull away from the pump, the tank bag started to slide off the bike. My tank bag also has the GPS pouch attached, so I didn’t want it to hit the pavement. I instinctively reached for it with my left hand, causing me to lose my balance and pull back on my throttle hand. The bike, with me on it, shot away from the pump and collided with a steep curb about 20 feet away.
Sounds like a simple case of fatigue. Still sucks, though, hope yer skoot makes it back alive with little to no hassle.
Whiskey throttle when tired is a common occurrence, in my experience. I think ODOT nailed it. When fatigued, even the most common tasks become onerous. And if any of the LD rider clubs refutes my claim I will pull up numerous posts from the IBA and Warchild too. It's just a fact of life. IMHO, it's all about how to recognize the signs of fatigue, and to deal with them *at the time* appropriately. I have no claims to being a LD rider, but I will tell you that I have certain behaviors that set off 'red flags' which are immediate 'Stop-the-Fuck-Now' and regroup indicators.

You are lucky to have learned this lesson with * relatively* low cost.

Best -

Dave, thanks for sharing and reminding us how quick things could go south, especially when fatigue is present. Glad you are not hurt. I have an AARP motoring plan, which includes 100 mile free towing. Also works for anyone you are with.......which can make you a real hero to an under insured friend. :D