28 year old Harley Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Forums:
dCarver's rides

2019-07-26 Harley Davidson Ride Morro Bay - finding cool weather

Just had $1,600 worth of maintenance on the Harley. So let's test ride. But it's HOT outside, July central coast, Kali.

So head to the beach! Morro Bay, Cayucos, San Luis Obispo.

150 miles on the day. She ran great!

However, it is a 28 year old bike making maybe 68 horsepower weighing 772 pounds. With 140k plus miles on OEM engine.

Observations:

1. Acceleration from stop is good. Heavy flywheels high torque mean leaving from a stop is easy and fun
  2. It's S L O W on up hills. As in 60 mph 5th gear max. Downshift to 4th, rev it up, hit 5th again and B O G.
  3. Turbulence over the windscreen is HORRIBLE. As in double vision turbulence. Not vibration, but wind turbulence. The screen currently sits just below eye height so as to not look through the screen to see the road. Choices are lower or raise the fixed height. I'm going to RIFLE to see what they have for shorties.
  4. Braking is HORRIBLE. Manly-Man grip needed on front brake lever, and the rear brake easily leads to wheel lock up.
  5. It's totally FUN on swoopy back roads, 45 - 60 mph. Easy cadence, big V-Twin rocking n' rolling, thunderous exhaust ricocheting off canyon walls, tunes blaring from the 4 external speakers (100 watts). Life is GREAT in those circumstances.
Without any further ado, here's the little video..

2019-07-Harley Ride from dcarver220b on Vimeo.

I have a friend who had an early 2000's Ultra Classic. Not much, if any, more ponies than yours and a bit heavier, I believe. He put an aftermarket 6-speed transmission in it, convinced it would help. Had to downshift in order to maintain anything more than 70 mph on the straight and level. He sold it and bought a Goldwing then sold that after a couple years to buy another Harley.

Thanks for the report and thanks for clarifying the topic of the thread. I thought it was an old ride report you were just getting around to sharing.