6 speed MPG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rain Dancer

Reaction score
I did search, so if I missed it, sorry. Anyone have a 6 speed FJR that had any other version and have you noticed a big increase in MPG? If so, what kind of riding do you do?

Thanks for any information!

I've got a 16 ES, had an 06 A for 102k miles. The 16 with the 6 speed definitely get better mileage...especially on the slab.

...and that didn't take very long, NEPRT

Last edited by a moderator:
I routinely get 46 mpg or better; however, I run mine in Touring mode. Must admit that first and second gear are my bane and I tend to roll on it whenever the chance presents itself. As far as riding on a long trip, including some riding on the slab at 80 mpg, I have gotten 50 mpg. My friend who also has the same model runs his in Sport mode and averages about 4-6 mpg lower on the same trips. Coincident or linked to the mode selection, I don't know.

I can't say a whole lot of difference for mine. I followed a '14 around Colorado for a couple of days and we both got very similar mpgs. I haven't done more than a casual observation of fuel economy while in tour mode but I didn't see much difference between the two when locked in to cruise on the slab. Because of that I just keep it in sport mode all the time. I went through west Texas a couple months ago, aka fairly flat, with cruise set at 85mph and I averaged 36mph on that tank full. Usual around town commute is around the low to mid 40's. Gotta luv that sport mode.

I haven't compared my Gen II with a '16 but I have noticed significantly poorer mileage than guys riding earlier Gen III (5 spd.)

If you want to know the difference the 6th gear makes you'll need to limit your comparisons to 2013 - 2015 Gen 3s vs 2016 and later whenever they show up. The intake systems are radically different on 3rd Gens so comparing to earlier generations is apples to oranges and will not isolate the difference the 6th gear makes.

My gut feeling is that there will be very little difference attributable to the added gear. For one thing the difference in the top gear overdrive ratio is pretty small, and for another, you don't necessarily get better fuel mileage just by gearing higher. It depends if you are in the most efficient area of the engine's power curve more than just what the rpm is.

But people asked (mostly magazine people) so Yamaha delivered the golden gear. I doubt it will go away any time soon.

My 2016 is my first FJR but when running with riding buddy Bruce McCrary and his 2007 we discovered that at any given speed in high gear I'm running 400 RPM's less than he is. At 80 MPH I'm running 3900 RPM's.

On a ride form Harrisburg NC to Sikeston MO to Russellville AR, two day of running around the back roads of the Ozarks and back to Harrisburg, the trip computer said I got 44.7 MPG.

I had a 2006 before the new ES. I get 1 or 2 mpg more with the ES. I love the 6 speed.

If you want to know the difference the 6th gear makes you'll need to limit your comparisons to 2013 - 2015 Gen 3s vs 2016 and later whenever they show up. The intake systems are radically different on 3rd Gens so comparing to earlier generations is apples to oranges and will not isolate the difference the 6th gear makes.
My gut feeling is that there will be very little difference attributable to the added gear. For one thing the difference in the top gear overdrive ratio is pretty small, and for another, you don't necessarily get better fuel mileage just by gearing higher. It depends if you are in the most efficient area of the engine's power curve more than just what the rpm is.

But people asked (mostly magazine people) so Yamaha delivered the golden gear. I doubt it will go away any time soon.
I've got a buddy who had a '14 and now has a '16. He told me early on that he doesn't see much difference. Maybe he'll weigh in on this thread soon.

FWIW, I average 45+ on my '13. I stay in S mode virtually all the time.

I rode with a guy who had a 16 this fall on a trip down in Texas and he told me he had to downshift to keep up while passing on the interstate. I told him so do the "Harley's"! I seemed to get better gas mileage too. I was averaging about 48MPG and he was around 39MPG, but he had a rear trunk mounted on it. We had some side wind and he was hating that trunk. That's the only time I've been around a 16, but it's a good looking motorcycle.

I rode with a guy who had a 16 this fall on a trip down in Texas and he told me he had to downshift to keep up while passing on the interstate. I told him so do the "Harley's"! I seemed to get better gas mileage too. I was averaging about 48MPG and he was around 39MPG, but he had a rear trunk mounted on it. We had some side wind and he was hating that trunk. That's the only time I've been around a 16, but it's a good looking motorcycle.
I tour with a trunk on mine and generally get in the low 40s. I figured that's just because I'm doing 80mph most of the time, but I could see where the trunk could affect it. On crooked two lanes I still get upper 40s with the trunk, but then I don't ride quite as quickly touring. All in all, if asked if the trunk really affects my mileage I'd have to say "I dunno." ;)

That is more of what I was thinking with the power band. Although, milage on most of the gen versions seems close among the folks I rode with.

And for those that asked about milage mattering, it does to my wife and I. We run to reserve a lot without stopping, on both the FJR and an old C10 (that has gone 300 miles before reserve). I am trying to justify 17g's for a new FJR, and I can't. That was the reason I asked. Thanks to all for your time!

Yeah, Joe, but we live in the relatively congested east (yes, Ohio is still pretty far east of center) where gas stations are on nearly every street corner. There is an advantage to having increased fuel range in some other parts of the world.

To the OP's wanting to justify an FJR upgrade: There were many, many other changes and improvements to the bike since your old '04 came out. The accuracy of the fuel injection is one of them; it's near perfect on the 3rd Gens, so no need or desire for aftermarket fuel injection modifiers like the power commander that I ran on my '05.

Because of that I do get considerably better average fuel mileage on my 2014 than I got on my '05. I was pretty much always right around 200 miles to the flashing reserve indicator, which was a 5 gallon fill up, for 40 mpg. New bike is consistently around 45 mpg.

Hard to use that small difference to justify spending that much money when you could just throw a 2 gallon rotopak on the back and increase your range even more. ;)

LOL !!! not typical for a 16,