A loop around Oahu

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USAFFJR

Reaction score
I had the day to myself and decided to make a loop around Oahu. It started out great -- blue skies, nice cool breeze... then I got a call from the school saying the kiddo had some bug bites and they needed me to come by. Of course by that time I couldn't have been farther away from his school and still been on the island. So, I started to make my way back, in which I hit at least 15 miles of torrential downpours... nice... :angry2:

The first half of the trip consisted of a lot of stopping and taking in the scenery. Had it not started pouring (and had I not forgotten my rain gear/been in a hurry to get to the school) I would have finished the loop and gotten more pics. More to come on that. Sorry, no food pictures, although there were plenty of places to eat -- I'll do that next time!

Here's the first stop on my way up to the north shore. I went up a road they call "snake road" -- not too bad if I hadn't been behind some cages.

3776876787_2860f840ba.jpg

This was as far north as I could go. Signs said Kaena Point, but I've only been there on the other side. There's a dirt road that continues on, but driving over the rough gravel to get here was enough for me!

3776876833_5be674d178.jpg

Another one of the same spot.

3777680860_884493275b.jpg

Heading east along the north shore, I passed up some great photo ops, but had a time limit and wanted to make it around the island. My next stop had some pretty good views.

3777680884_d94f8b7b6b.jpg

3776877015_b2ca307453.jpg

By the time I made my last stop, I had received the call from my son's school and the rain clouds were coming in fast. I was as close to the water as I could possibly get and not be on the beach!

3777681080_a1f3387350.jpg

3777681048_5c1d6fe419.jpg

Next time, I'll go the other way around and take more pics. There are some pretty cool lookouts along the way...

Cool pics!

Thanks for showing us mainlanders around your campgrounds. :D

Looking forward to more pics.

PS, how's the son?

PS, how's the son?
Kiddo's doing well. We went boogie boarding at Bellows AFS yesterday -- man, I love that beach -- and he was doing better than me! We were supposed to go for a ride today, but he ended up hanging out with his friends instead. He's almost 7 -- I thought that no-hanging-out-with-dad thing didn't start until they were teens... :(

I wanna go to there whata ya say sport, next year?
Bring your bike and we'll go for a ride! :yahoo:

It is really great to see photos of the islands with an FJR in them. Thanks. Gotta love the Hawaii interstate highway system.

It is really great to see photos of the islands with an FJR in them. Thanks. Gotta love the Hawaii interstate highway system.
I definitely don't love them during rush hour... although on the FJR it makes them a lot more tolerable. :ph34r:

I was in Oahu two weeks ago with my family. It was our 50th state that all of us have been to as family (my girls are 16 and my son is 18). I rented a BMW F800 for a day. It was great to get away from paved roads and go to some remote areas. Hawaii is beautiful if one stays away from the city. One thing I can say if I had an extra ten grand in my back pocket I would buy the F800 in a heart beat.

mahalo for the pics,family in kuaia but man,must be a bitch to get that red dirt off the fjr.....lol
I don't normally ride anywhere near the red dirt, so haven't had to clean any off yet. Although this last trip may have taken me close. I haven't gotten around to cleaning the bike after this trip!