A relayed SabMag rider (pun intended) FJR1300 request/query

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seicofjr

Reaction score
For those unaware, SabMag refers to a 'mailing list' originally subscribed by owners/riders of 80s era [Honda] Sabres, Magnas, Interceptors and other early V4s. I, and dougc are on both the list and this forum, and there may be others as well.

This request is being relayed for David Ryder, who resides in Cleveland, OH, and is one of the most experienced and competent riders I know, as well as being one heck of a good wrench.

His previous Sports Tourer was an ST1100, which he rode and maintained around a decade, I believe. His email will follow the copied request, below:

**** Relayed for David Ryder *******

I'm in the market for a sport tourer with better highway manners than my VFR. The two candidates in contention are the ST1300 and the FJR1300. I've had the opportunity to spend some quality time (700 miles of twisties) with the ST1300 recently, and I didn't turn cartwheels. The fueling was incredibly abrupt coming off a closed throttle, the windshield was either noisy (low positions) or buffeted me until my ears rang (higher positions), the weirdly shaped saddlebags don't pack easily AND are ludicrously fiddly to get in and out of (plus require a key for both actions). Handling was nice, I'll give it that, given its heft. So I'm looking for a kindly soul who'll be trusting enough to throw me their FJR's keys for long enough for me to get a feel for how it compares to the ST1300. Your bike will be ridden...it will NOT be abused. I don't do stupid things. I even make sure my foot stays up long enough to clear the outboard bag when I mount...no scuffs from this boy.

All the usual disclaimers apply about me repairing/replacing anything I break to your total satisfaction, etc.

*****contact David (not me) at [email protected]

My take is that his word is his bond. I've offered short term use of mine, but he wants to look at a later model.

I've offered short term use of mine, but he wants to look at a later model.
Yours would give him a pretty good idea of what an FJR is like. Bigger difference would be the feature differences on a Gen III vs Gen I. He can see those at the dealership if he gets more serious. If he likes the way your rides he'd be impressed with the Gen III.

Coming off on an ST1300 myself I can tell you the throttle response of the FJR is superior to that of the ST1300. I tried several remedies on my ST.

The first was a Techlusion device which had no perceptible effect.

The second was a Power Commander. That experiment was a disaster! The bike bucked uncontrollably at times! Two people from Dynojet flew up to Seattle to test my bike on a dyno at a local shop. They spent the better part of a day before throwing in the towel. DynoJet then removed the ST1300 product from the market. It seems to have worked on the 2003 ST, but didn't on my 2004. You can read all about it here:

https://koczarski.com/ST1300/PowerCommander/PowerCommander.htm

Finally I installed an Ivan's Fuel Cuttoff Eliminator (FCE). This had a big effect on my bike. Way smoother throttle response for me.

All this being said, even with the FCE, the ST1300 is nowhere near as smooth as the fueling on my 2016 FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your friend says... <<I'm in the market for a sport tourer with better highway manners than my VFR. The two candidates in contention are the ST1300 and the FJR1300.>>

I had a 1991 and a 2000 VFR. Great bikes. Between the two, I put about 175,000 miles on them.

I moved to a 2006 (Gen 2) FJR in 2006. It now has about 110,000 miles on it. So I have some experience with both.

Here's the down side of the FJR: Weight.

Here's the upside of the FJR: Everything else.

The weight is mostly an issue in the garage. At speed, the FJR handles as well, maybe better than VFRs. It certainly has more motor.

I've ridden ST1100 and ST1300 only a few miles, friends bikes, and so on. Nice motor. Ugly handling (imo) and it seems larger and heavier at speed to me. Plus, Honda these days is. well, Honda. That is not a compliment from me, as it would have been ten years ago.....

If your buddy is in CA have him contact me. He can ride my FJR, I doubt he can do anything to it that I've not already done <g>

WWWobble