Gen III 2013 FJR Off/On Throttle Abruptness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The jumping / numerical gaps has to be specific to a Generation 3.

Have to forget what we know of the Gen1&2 TPS diagnosis.

Can only be done with a Gen3 service manual, the TPS (and APS values) are different and specific to a Gen 3

To measure the resistance of the transducer, page 8-157.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the fueling on my bike.

I bet ya if more Gen 3 owners do a 1,13,14,15 diagnosis, the values and the TPS "jumping" will be similar.

Gee. Thought they had this sorted out as I went through all sorts of troubleshooting with my 2003. Just gave up and feed more throttle when starting out to prevent the lean surging. Hope you get things sorted as it might be fuel related as we continue to run that crappy ethanol gas through our bikes.

Yes, you may have something there ANZAC. Will try to find some but not easy around me. Some marinas around lake erie say they have it. Worth a try i suppose.

Incidentally, Ive been wondering about your moniker - are you from down under originally ?

Thanks for your input Ion Beam. FYI -The missing numbers occur whether the engine is hot or cold.

My FJR was at the shop when you replied so I was not able to perform the tests you suggested. The dealer says they contacted Yamaha Technical Representatives and were told that this jumping of a few numbers was “perfectly normal”. The dealer also observed the jumping of a few numbers on a new 2014 FJR on the showroom floor. Nonetheless, they agreed to replace my TPS “because I was a valued customer”.

After TPS replacement, I tested the new TPS “cold” at about 80ºF and the jumping was less, only skipping 2 or 3 numbers. After 12 miles and an engine temp of 190ºF, the jumping increased to 3 to 4 numbers. It seemed to me that the on/off throttle abruptness had been significantly reduced. When I returned to the dealer (after another 12 miles), the jumping was only 1 to 2 numbers. I decided they probably had done everything I could reasonably expect so I took my baby home. When I got there, the jumping was 4 numbers on both TPS1 and TPS2. I just got back from a 700 mile trip and am reasonably happy with the EFI response.

Another interesting observation is that increasing the throttle slightly at idle in neutral does not cause any sudden increase in RPM.

Regards,

QuikSilver

Maybe just too much slack in the throttle cable? I mistakenly though it was an electric connection when I bought mine, since it's advertised as ride by wire - but it still has the same old fashioned cable with adjustment.