ABS Light / MC Cruise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John H

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I hope someone can help me with this.

The past month, occasionally, the ABS light on my 2007 A has been coming on and staying on. When I turn off the ignition and turn it back on then the light is off again, but once it comes on it stays on steady. There doesn't seem to be anything I can point to as a cause on this, it just happens once or twice a week (I ride everyday). This began to occur after doing the ignition recall, though I think that is simply coincidental other than the possibility that something got bumped or loosend.

Anyhow, this past weekend I took it to the dealer to find out what the problem is, they started looking at it yesterday and the first thing they came across to blame was my MC Cruise cruise control, on the rear wheel it has magnets which are part of the speed sensor and rather than looking further they are saying they think this is causing the problem. Now I know there are many others using the MC Cruise and I have not seen anyone else report this issue and since it is supposed to be designed for the FJR I doubt that this is the cause. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

I'd be willing to bet that your rear brake light is sticking on. You should lube the rear brake pivot point and also possibly adjust the rear brake light switch if the pedal is not sticking. BTDT.

I'd be willing to bet that your rear brake light is sticking on. You should lube the rear brake pivot point and also possibly adjust the rear brake light switch if the pedal is not sticking. BTDT.
Agreed, see this post (ignore the "Sh" code, not applicable to the non-AS/AE).

I have McCruise. I has same problem so I contacted the company. I had to install a relay to prevent the ABS light from activating. I decided to install the Kisan tailblazer HDM. It contains a relay for ground and a taillight modulator.

Thanks for those who've posted on this.

Harald & McAtrophy thanks for the info, but my lite is on steady when it comes on, it isn't blinking (I'm not a mechanic, but) so it doesn't sound like the same issue.

Aalee, this is interesting, I have emailed MC Cruise but have not heard back from them, but it sounds like this may be a known issue for them. Any idea why they would not have addressed this in their product? Did you get the relay from them or did you have to find it somewhere else?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

You can use any standard relay, usually 30A is what I use. I decided to get the Kisan because I wanted a tailight flasher. As previously stated, the Kisan HDM has relay and flasher combined in one unit. You splice into brake line and attach second wire to ground. No problems.

... but my lite is on steady when it comes on, it isn't blinking ..
No guarantees, but it still might be the problem. If you look at Harald's post

My 07 had the ABS light come on when the bike was new. It didn't automatically show a code on the display, just the ABS light on. Dealer fixed it quick with a rear brake switch adjust (brake light was stuck on).
My guess is that the YCC-S programming alters the characteristic a bit so that the light flashes.

Worth at least checking there's no sign of the rear brake binding or the switch needing adjustment?

Other than that, remove the speed sensor magnet(s) from the wheel (I know nothing of the installation) to prove the point. I suppose it's possible any magnet(s) might affect the ABS sensor, giving "extra" speed impulses, or conceivably blocking the proper ones, but I doubt it.

I spoke to the folks at MC Cruise last night, just had to figure out the time difference, since they are in Australia. They were very helpful, but they are skeptical that it has anything to do with the magnets. They suggested, picking up the bike from the Dealer and temporarily removing the magnets and disconnecting the Cruise Computer to see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't then it will prove that was not the issue, if it does then I can try the relay that Aalee was talking about.

Thanks.

It is pretty common for a dealer to first blame anything that you have modified before they actually do any diagnosis. It is just easier for them to start with a stock configuration.

I think Mcatrophy has the best idea, take the magnets off before you go back to the dealer.

Thank you both for your thoughts, I can take these to the dealer and see what they say.
Before you waste your time with the dealer, you should go ahead and check the rear brake light. It only takes a few seconds. Turn the ignition on (starting bike isn't necesary), hold your left hand behind the tail light (so you can see when the brake light comes on) and push on the rear brake pedal. There should be some pedal movement before the light comes on. If the light comes on the instant you touch the pedal, then the switch needs adjustment. Also slowly push and release the pedal to see if it's sticking (basically try to get it to stay in a partially depressed position). If it hangs up, it needs lube.

All this only takes seconds (or a couple minutes) and the bonus is that if you find the problem, then you can make the dealer look like an idiot. :yahoo:

Thank you both for your thoughts, I can take these to the dealer and see what they say.
Before you waste your time with the dealer, you should go ahead and check the rear brake light. It only takes a few seconds. Turn the ignition on (starting bike isn't necesary), hold your left hand behind the tail light (so you can see when the brake light comes on) and push on the rear brake pedal. There should be some pedal movement before the light comes on. If the light comes on the instant you touch the pedal, then the switch needs adjustment. Also slowly push and release the pedal to see if it's sticking (basically try to get it to stay in a partially depressed position). If it hangs up, it needs lube.

All this only takes seconds (or a couple minutes) and the bonus is that if you find the problem, then you can make the dealer look like an idiot. :yahoo:
If this unit cuts off when the brake is depressed, then the cruise wouldn't work when the brake was stuck. BTDT I don't see where a problem was reported with the cruise. Does the light come on before you move the bike or only while underway? Still never a bad time to lube that rear pedal though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my ABS come on solid whenever I'm riding up to higher altitudes.

I'm going to try and adjust my rear brake pedal (per Harald) and see if that helps.

Good post.

I have an MCCruise installed on my '08 (don't have it calibrated yet). I noticed that if I make a reasonably fast stop from around 50 mph or so, the ABS warning light begins to flash. I can shut the key and restart the bike and the flashing will then stop. Interesting to hear that others have had similar experiences.

Before you waste your time with the dealer, you should go ahead and check the rear brake light.
Well you might be on to something. Mine was definitely stuck in the on position when I checked.

Thanks for the heads up.