Accessory advice?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyndsight

Reaction score
I'm doing a coast to coast trip (Maine to Washington) in about 3 weeks and was looking for any advice.......

My limited budget has a new set of PR2s waiting to be shod, Hella lights, Cee Baily +2, and hand guards....

I am ready to pull the trigger on an Olympia AST jacket/pants. Anyone got experience with these? Other suggestions/recomendations? Budget in the $500 range......

I'm a little concerned about.......my ass.....

My longest day so far was about 600 miles, and it got a little uncomfortable....OK, alot. So, being too late in the game to have a Russel made, (although I might come back with one if the ride out is bad enough;)), are there any quick compromises? Sheepskin? LD shorts? My grandmothers beaded seat cover? Bar stool?????

Anyone using a non MC (cheap) gps? Never had either but the idea of shelling out $500+ for something that is 'waterproof'? I'll just stow it in the rain if it does the same thing....

I believe Olympia makes a good product but I don't have any first-hand experience except with their gloves. I just purchased an OSI mesh jacket in hi-vis yellow with liner for $129.00 and in the past two months (4k miles) it has served me well. I rode 6 hrs. in continuous rain with temperatures ranging from 48 to 72 and it kept me dry and warm, much more so than I would have expected with a mesh jacket. Just saying this jacket will save you $$$'s and provide good service and protection.

OBD

I'm doing a coast to coast trip (Maine to Washington) in about 3 weeks and was looking for any advice.......
I am ready to pull the trigger on an Olympia AST jacket/pants. Anyone got experience with these? Other suggestions/recomendations? Budget in the $500 range......

I'm a little concerned about.......my ass.....

My longest day so far was about 600 miles, and it got a little uncomfortable....OK, alot. So, being too late in the game to have a Russel made, (although I might come back with one if the ride out is bad enough;)), are there any quick compromises? Sheepskin? LD shorts? My grandmothers beaded seat cover? Bar stool?????
Advice? Sure, check your 6 to make sure I'm not tagging along...green with envy!

I have the Olympia Voyager, same jacket but waist length and have been very happy with it. Only drawback has been the velcro closure at the neck, if I have the jacket open some the velcro gets stuck to the helmet liner. I solved that by cutting off a piece of velcro from an old pair of gloves and stuck it on the neck piece, works like a charm.

I just got a set of highway pegs in and mounted them today, not sure yet but hoping they allow me to adjust a little more in the saddle and stretch the legs a bit. I'll let you know but I'm sure others will chime in first.

I found getting off the bike every hour or so for a minute or two gets me more time in the saddle - Gas up, run for an hour, gas up again after another hour.... Also the later in the season and the more hours I have in the saddle the more hours I can put in the saddle.

If you plan on just getting there and back again with no frequent sightseeing stops you need Craig Vetter's Long Distance Mile Eating Magic Seat Board

Last edited by a moderator:
If the size works for you, HERE is the VERY BEST gear you can get at a great price.

Highway pegs? You bet, if you have time to get them and mount them before your trip. I usually alternate which foot I put forward, rather than putting both feet out forward at once, a la the Harley guys. And I really like my Bead Rider. I liked it much better than the sheepskin pads, which I've also tried. I made a Vetter Buttboard, but have yet to test it on a long ride (one coming up next week). See this long thread. I'd definitely try it, considering the tiny little cost, if I were heading out cross country.

I love my LD comfort longs and shorts. Very comfortable due to the no-seam aspect. I tried other "sports" brands of underwear, but never found anything that comes close.

Haven't been able to do the custom seat yet either. However, I rigged up an option that served me well on an 1100 mile day.

I have an Alaska Sheepskin seat pad. I've used it several times and it really helped. Now I have a Therm-a-rest pad under it and it is sweet.

It's just like the long pads you use camping to lay on, only this one is the size of a chair seat. I got it at REI for about 20 bucks! I folded the edges under, so it's the size of the seat, and just put a little bit of air in it. It's held in place by the sheepskin.

If you put too much air in it, you feel like your floating around on top of the seat. 800 miles into a ride, that little bit of air was blissful.

For me, it works great! I can easily pull it off and have the stock seat for the twisties!

I also built a vedder board but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Spent my tire money on college books for my number 1 son!

For a late season trip across the northern tier...I'll break the bank for you and get a Warm & Safe heated jacket liner with controller, Yamaha foot guards. Feel toasty instead of battling the inevitable cold spots. The footguards are outrageous for the cost of some little plastic bits, but still quite nice. If setting a priority, get the heated liner.

I have sheepskin, it helps...some. Underarmour shorts...helps some. Memory foam insert...some. All told: not enough! For other quick fix, go for the beads and mebbe the air cushion that was mentioned, plus padded chamois bicycle type shorts. (Standing by for Russell...)

Lotsa folks using non MC GPS cheapos. You buys yer ticket, you take yer chances. Quite helpful to have one that you can store routes in memory. A quart-sized baggie over the unit in the rain works for me. Lotsa discussion about GPS around here.

Have fun(ds)!

redtail, what brand of LD long and shorts did you buy?
I believe he means LD shorts. LD is the brand if I remember correctly. I have two pair and like Yambone they help some. I also have the Alaskan Sheepskin which help some. I cut my stock seat down some so I didn't feel like I was sliding into the tank and that helped a little too. I've done several 500-600+ mile days, but my ass was toast at the end of the day. Google LD riding shorts if you want to check out their product.

GP

Thanks for all the great advice:

I might be leaning towards the Firstgear Killimangaro/kahtmandu combo, read too many reviews about the Olympia not being as waterproof as advertised?

Thanks FJRBluesman for bringing up a very important point, I wanted to say something, but .....I'm having a hell of a time finding a jacket to match my sandals! :blink:

I think I'll jump for LD shorts and the sheepskin/Thermarest, maybe speriment with the seat board, but not quite convinced yet....

Unfortunately the trip won't allow for much sightseeing, I'm shooting for 3 days out, but if I piss my brother off while I'm there I might have a few extra days on the way back....(He just bought his first feejr last week though so I suspect that wont be happening;)

Anyone using a Garmin 2820? Recomended sites to buy one from? I like the price/features but heard the screen was hard to see. Also, is there a cheapo way to pipe sound into a helmet without a starcom/bluetooth/too much $$$? I tried just slipping on my helmet with some small in ear headphones without success......

I have the Olympia gear Voyager jacket (Same as the AST only stops at the waist). When the time comes, the gear will be replaced by Olympia gear without question.

The only time my jacket let water in, was due to the operator not buttoning this up properly. When washed with Nikwax, the only thing my jacket has lost is a bit of the Hiviz color. (Sun fading, and washing). This will happen to ANY Hiviz attire.

I would not plan on wearing the AST in the heat of summer (90's or up), but its great for the other 3 seasons. Goes well with the ** Correction** Ranger pants.

checkout motogearoutlet.com. They are good folks!

assuming you already have good rain gear, I would suggest layered clothing for the temps you are bound to run into. October in Maine certainly is going to see 40 (and below) nightime temps. A couple of shirts & sweatshirt that will fit under your raingear (makes a good windbreaker in cold wx). Likewise a couple of pairs of gloves - warm & cold riding - would be a good choice.

As a previous poster mentioned, taking frequent breaks will help keep away / relieve assbite. I usually start the day with a full tank, ride 150-200 mi then stop for breakfast / gas. After that if there are no photo stops I usually break every 1-1/2 - 2 hours for a cold drink (I carry) & a stretch.

Enjoy the ride!

Check Ebay for used/refurbed 27** and 28** models. I got a 2720 last Xmas for $160. It came with everything and when I registered it, they updated my maps to the latest version. If you have to have Bluetooth, go with the 2820. I just have mine set to zoom in when I'm close to a turn, so I just glance at it now and then. It tells me how far the next turn is. Unless the sun is right behind me, I haven't had a problem seeing the screen.

I'd also vote for the heated jacket liner, it'll save on packing. Use it when it's below 60 under a jacket and you can stay warm down into the 20's if required. Just turn the dial up or down as needed.

Olympia makes good gear, however, if your budget allows, Aerostich or CyclePort Kevlar as Sac Mike pointed out are the way to go. My "Stitch" is 5 years old and still going strong with it being my only piece of riding gear now. Yeah, it gets hot when sitting at a stoplight when straddling a 145 hp heat generator, but what gear doesn't? I also take Warm N Safe gloves and jacket and a fleece pullover which with the "Stitch" allows me to go from freezing temps to triple digits. Oh yeah, don't forget a cooling vest if things look like they'll get warm on you. LD shorts and Diamond Gusset jeans have worked very well for me, but purchase two pairs of LD shorts which allows you to wash one and wear one cutting down on packable stuff. HTH

Cooling Vest

LD Shorts

Diamond Gusset Jeans

Gear issue is resolved, I went for the Olympia ast/ranger combo, hope the fit is better than the last helmet I bought online.....

I'm indecisive about a gps, apparently the 2700/2800 series has been discontinued, (but still available in places). They say it has been 'replaced' with the 750, which seems like a nice unit and can be bought (refurb) for as little as 129. Nothing said about water resistance though like the 2820??

Any suggestions on Bluetooth? I have nothing right now and tend towards old fasioned plug in devices vs dead batteries. How about just fitting some cheapo music headphone speakers in there? a little hot glue, some duct tape...... :rolleyes:

CAJW: Two pairs? Realy? The 'packing technician' didn't realy take into account a second pair of underwear......I might have to put the bags back on after all......

Know in advance, the Olympia pants are by design extra long with the zipper stopping about 4 inches before the end of the pants you you can have them hemmed to the right riding length.

I have a 32" inseam , and had the pants hemmed at about 33" so the stay at the bottom of the boot while in riding position.

My jackets and pants all Olympia were ordered per the size chart, and fit well.

I have also been trying to get ready for a trip, although not as long as you are going to do. I'll be heading to NAFO from Orlando and needed to get my bike ready on a budget. Some day I would like a Russell seat, but that is not in my budget right now. So I sent my seat down to Spencer in south Florida and had him reshape the seat a bit and add some of the LD foam. It cost me $75, shipped it on a Monday, had it back on Thursday same week. I have put a little over 1K on it now an am very happy with the results. I doubt I'll pound out any 1000 mile days, but I think I handle 500-600 without too much discomfort. Getting off the bike and taking frequent breaks is very good advice. I also picked up the Sena blue tooth unit for about $150. It syncs with my iPhone if I want to listen to some tunes and I can use several different nav programs that are available for it...some free. While I'm not in the habit of making calls on my cell, it's nice to be able to have the wife or kids check in over the headset. I also installed a Universal Vista Cruise so that I can my throttle hand a rest every once in a while. I have a Tourmaster Sonora mesh jacket and an older First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket. I'll most likely take the Kilimanjaro jacket on this trip. I just ordered a pair of Olympia AG3 pants. Should arrive in a couple of days. Looking forward to testing them out.

Good luck on the trip and keep us posted.