accessory power tap for Garmin GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riona

Reaction score
So, I now have my RAM bone mount, aquabox, garmin 5" Nuvi (size DOES matter, gentlemen) .. and I rode 300 miles today with the whole shebang powered off the accessory socket in the LHS glove box.

Half way over the Snoqualmie pass I hit a pot hole and the plug fell out of the socket and I was without GPS until I could plug it in again at the next fuel stop (I was riding with a bunch of sport bikes, cute little things but they had to stop for gas or a stretch every 25 miles or so ...).

After plugging back in, it worked for a while, but then next big bump and it fell out again. And again.

I hope you can understand that it was very frustrating - I was trying to enjoy the ride, and having it pop out unexpectedly and having to stop and plug it back in again quite spoiled my enjoyment.

So - what's a good solution to feeding a couple of extra power outlets up to the handle bar area - ideally in double USB format, as that would drive either / both the GPS or my iPhone ?

And would someone in the PNW Tech Meet help me put it all together ?

Thanks, Riona

Resisting......the......urge...
rolleyes.gif

Riona, there are several options for powering GPS's from the bike. I power mine off the cig lighter, but with a small zip-tie inserted along with the plug. Stopped all that frustrating unplugging while the bumping is going on.

You'll see a zillion ideas at Tech Day. One of the easiest is tapping the cig lighter wires right in front of the glove box.

--G

Hey Riona,

Put in an accessory power distribution block (lots to choose from) your Gen 2 has more space under the seat (at least I found that it does.) As well as allowing for easier trouble shooting if you blow a fuse. I put mine (blue seas) velcroed to the supports in front of the tail lights with extra wire to allow me to pull it out and look to see what is going on in case it fails. I have mine switched using a relay so I cannot drain the battery if I forget something on. Some other blocks have the ability to switch one the circuits you want. Then I ran two USB's up to the handlebars. They charge my Garmin and my iPod. No problems yet, other than the Garmin took a special cord to tell it to charge rather than attempt to synch.

Good luck.

Worny

@Riona - First off let me say that you are clearly skilled in the use of the double entendre. Especially being a woman in a predominantly male forum, it is an effective way to lure replies. Some might say you are a master baiter.

Regarding your loose fitting plug situation: As I'm sure you are aware, not all plugs are the same size and shape, and neither are all sockets. I've found that some plugs will not penetrate the sockets deeply enough to remain secure during rougher riding.

In my tank bag I have an appliance that has three sockets, so three plugs can be inserted simultaneously. Some of the plugs buck loose occasionally, so I've made up some rubber straps to keep the plugs fully engaged under all conditions. You might try using a strap-on for your plug. Perhaps a little velcro one for quick removal.

(now here is where it gets a bit dicey)

Otherwise, you might cut off your old plug
not_i.gif
and try grafting on a different one with a more suitable shape for your existing socket.

Best of luck with your obviously frustrating experience. Hopefully one of these ideas will give you some much needed relief.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this "double entendre" of which you speak ?

Thanks for the advice so far - I think my best option is to try some sort of strap-on harness to hold the plug while riding. Then check out other options at Tech Day. Maybe some of the guys there have gone to the lengths of having their plugs removed and new ones grafted on, but that does seem a little extreme.

I'll probably end up with some form of box under my seat to allow multiple plugs to be inserted at the same time.

;-)

@ Riona...I found a plug adaptor in the local auto parts store that plugs into the socket in the glove box and it allows usb connections to be plugged into it. I use one in my truck all the time for my iPhone. That could be a possibility for you...

What is this "double entendre" of which you speak ?
Thanks for the advice so far - I think my best option is to try some sort of strap-on harness to hold the plug while riding. Then check out other options at Tech Day. Maybe some of the guys there have gone to the lengths of having their plugs removed and new ones grafted on, but that does seem a little extreme.

I'll probably end up with some form of box under my seat to allow multiple plugs to be inserted at the same time.

;-)
My prediction: NW Tech Day is going to be going gangbusters with all the attendance. Hope you get those insertions and "in and out" problems fixed soon. It's amazing how much of a pest those electrical gadgets are when they aren't in right.

I found some wood this morning and used it to jamb the plug into the socket so it won't come out while riding. Hopefully this will hold me until Tech Day and I can see if one of the guys can offer something more permanent.

I found some wood this morning and used it to jamb the plug into the socket so it won't come out while riding. Hopefully this will hold me until Tech Day and I can see if one of the guys can offer something more permanent.
Happy for you Riona.

Wood is good...
coolsmiley02.gif

--G