Adios FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Show up at a FJR gathering on an Aprilia and I guarantee that everyone will want to at least take a good look at it and most will ask a lot of questions about it. :bike:
In fact I'll start right now, did you get it with the travel pack?
Yes, the Travel Pack is the only model imported to the U.S. It's not too far from the FJR in many respects, a bit lighter, a bit less powerful, and that trick suspension system is the coolest. Plus, it's red and Italian!

Been to a couple of FJR functions & met Beemerdons, Johnny 80s, including a nice hug from Tyler, and had a great time.
Gene, the bike may be what brought everyone together, but it's the friendships and camraderie that keep everyone together. Besides, I gots lots more hugs to go around so keep on coming to those events... I'm sure there will be lots of folks here that will be curious about your new steed and there will be some ogling and tire kicking going on! B)

Well, I'll be 72 in a few days and my 14ES has not intimidated me yet. Actually the primary reason I bought a Gen III was to get cruise control. After riding well over 200K on bikes without CC I decided the new candy red would make the ride more enjoyable and perhaps be a chick magnet. We'll see!!!

Enjoy your new Italian stallion!! Think young, it's healthy!

Thanks for all the warm fuzzies, folks. I've had my new Capo for 2 weeks and 1,000 miles now, so even though I'm still in the honeymoon phase, here's my take: the Aprilias handling is light as a feather but utterly planted. The acceleration is fierce - not quite the same smoothness as the FJR, since there's nothing quite like the turbine whine of that big inline four, but a more visceral punch accompanied by a satisfying snarl of that big bazooka of a muffler. The Capo is roughly 100 pounds lighter than the Yammie, and it's really noticeable in low speed handling. Wind protection is pretty similar with my aftermarket MRA windscreen and very still with my newly acquired Cal Sci screen. I really miss the Feejers electric windshield, but the manual adjustment of the Ape is easy enough to work when stopped. There's very little underseat storage on the Capo, and the sidecases are a bit smaller, but I really miss the glovebox of the FJR - but overall not a major difference. The big claim to fame of the Aprilia is its electronic suspension, and it does live up to the hype - very confidence inspiring, although my FJR was no slouch. The gas mileage is noticeably less than the FJR (about 40 MPG at best, but should improve as it breaks in, I'm told. I hope the reliability is as good as the Feejer - the Capo has been in Europe and Australia for a couple of years, and has remarkable few complaints. Of course, the dealer network is a fraction of the Japanese bikes, but I never really needed dealer support for my Japanese bikes either. Overall, having a blast on my new ride!

At 67, I just picked up a nearly 2013 (about 600 miles) FJR for $3K off list - just too good to pass up. It is still a bit of a handful at really low speeds, but I discovered that I can pick it up if I need to (don't ask).

As a noob here, I can say that it is more important that you ride than what you ride.