AdMore or Hyper-Lites

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancasterFJR

Reaction score
OK, I have finally come to the realization that I need brighter LED break lights. Cars seem to be getting closer and closer at stops. Integrated LED turn signals wouldn't hurt either. I have searched, read the posts and narrowed it to the above two choices. Here are some of my concerns:

1. If I get a module with "flashing" break lights, will it interfere with the operating of the Audiovox CC, which is working flawlessly?

2. If it does, is there a solution such as a relay that would prevent the CC malfunction?

3. Which is better built and more reliable, i.e., better value?

4. Which is easier to mount? The AdMore comes with a universal mounting plate, the Hypers need an accessory license plate mounting part.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Sam

1. If I get a module with "flashing" break lights, will it interfere with the operating of the Audiovox CC, which is working flawlessly?
Most likely

2. If it does, is there a solution such as a relay that would prevent the CC malfunction?
I immediately when the relay way as I already had installed Kisan license plate lights.

Here's the relay setup I pulled from elsewhere on the forum

3. Which is better built and more reliable, i.e., better value?

4. Which is easier to mount? The AdMore comes with a universal mounting plate, the Hypers need an accessory license plate mounting part.
Here's my 3-way Hyperlites. I got the Hypers mounting plate and it bolts on to the back of the license plate at the bottom. From front to back the order is 1) license plate frame, 2) license plate, and 3) Hyperlite bracket

fjr_tailLights_20090521_000.JPG

Here's my rear lighting setup

Since not all Audiovox units would work even if you had no auxiliary brake lights I installed a relay at the start.

When I installed my Whelen Dominator 2 a few weeks ago it was a very simple task, since I just wired the flasher module across the relay coil.

d2aa.png

If you feel that the Dominator is too much you might want to consider using a single element from that system, called the TIR3 . . . .

TIR3%20SM.jpg

An interesting alternative arrived this week as part of a package of samples from Whelen. They make a bar that provides running, brake and turn signals in a single module - it is one of their 'strip-lite' series - the brake light pulses once and is then steady-bright on application (though nothing prevents you from adding a brake modulator if you want more flashes) and is very bright (though not quite as bright as the TIR3. The LEDs are actually 'clear' in the sense that when extinguished, you can't tell what color they are and they provide aux turn signals, which would work with your emergency flashers as well::

Link to Strip-Lite product sheet.

PSRASXCR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the Hyper Lites and I think they're excellent; not sure how they'd compare to Admore's, but they're very bright and then flash--brighter--with the brakes. Guess both kinds do, in fact. I wanted to add for the OP that there are many mounting options beyond an "accessory license plate part." Mine are now on the third bike I've used them on--same pair. I stuck them to the plate frame of my first FJR, then made a little bracket out of sheet aluminum to use on my KLR and mounted that on the rear fender. When I sold the KLR I took that whole bracket with the H-Ls on it and mounted it below the plate on my current FJR. You just need to get them someplace where they're facing the right direction.

I am real tempted to add even MORE rear-end lighting now, though. I'm a little paranoid, having been hit from behind while stopped--in my CAR. It's impossible to underestimate the stupidity or inattention of my fellow drivers, so I figure the more, the better. I like the idea of the Whelen lights. I think the LIN-3 seems more suited than the TIR-3, from what I've read; a little wider "beam," translates to better visibility from sightly off to the side. I've hesitated a little because I can't seem to find--for sure--what else I'd need to mount them. I do want them to be "always on" like the Hyper Lites, and brighten and flash with the brakes like the HLs do, and I'm not sure if they do that, or can be set to do that. Does anybody know? And do you need to buy and install a separate controller for the Whelens? With the HLs I just wired them into the turn/flash wires, very simple.

I've got the Hyperlites mounted on their own license plate bracket. The lights are set to flash for 5 seconds then go solid. That may be illegal in some states (there was post about that a while back - here or another forum?). You could easily make your own bracket out of a piece of 1" aluminum strip from your junkbox or home store. Or, it looks like you could simply turn around the bracket that holds the round, red reflectors beside the license plate and stick the LED modules to that.

I've had a couple of motorists comment on the visibility of the flashing LEDs. :yahoo: Of course, Mr or Ms Phonetexter won't see you if they aren't looking.

Cagers back away from me about 90 to 150 feet when I am in traffic generally. You may someday warrant a ticket tho if your going through Arizona. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I've got the Admore and love it. They're customer service is top notch. I mounted mine right under the plate light putting screws through the back of the fender into a reinforced area on back of the unit designed to accept screws. NO mounting bracket needed. I did have to notch the Plate light housing just a bit but it fits in there perfectly and looks factory fresh. Sorry for the dark picture, no lights in my bike shed.
IMG_0786.jpg
[/img]

I'm a big fan of hyperlites

no legal problems using red for brake lights and amber for turn signals (Kalifornia is another story)

mine flash as long as the brake lights are on; I seem to remember Kali law requiring only a few flashes then solid on accessory brake light modules

hyperlites have both options on all flasher assembly

my AVCC was installed after hyperlites and the advice was correct that there was no effect without a relay

no relay needed

3639659031_6a5d74ee7f.jpg

One more question, ladies and gentlemen: how do you access the wiring at the rear of the bike? Do you drill a hole in the rear fender for the wiring harness of the LED lights? If you have to drill a hole, where is the best location in the fender to do so? Thank you. Sam

Yes, I drilled a hole in the fender. Then used a rubber grommet for any vibration and sealed it up with silicon. Whatever makes sense to you. The location for me was right in front of the recessed area where the tail light is. I then tapped into the wiring using the positaps that were provided with the light. Some on here will argue the use of positaps. So far I've had no trouble. In the end, if you take everyones advice on here the only thing you'll be sure of is that your confused. Some guys go overkill, others go cheap and easy. Just don't over think it. It's a machine, whatever you do can be fixed if you screw up, and when you don't (and you won't) you've learned something.

I have disassembled the taillights on both my FJR and my old LT to install Hyperlites with a 5 second blink then to solid. Mounting the lights inside the taillight dims them slightly but the quick flashing to catch someones attention was my goal and it is very noticeable. Hyperlites is a quality product and worth the money, IMHO.

OBD