Adventures Down Under - New Zealand and Australia

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, Tyler Just Wow!!
What a trip.
punk.gif
Tanks, Tank! B)

I ain't done yet... ;)

It's been a long winter here in upstate New York, so thank you so much for the beautiful pics and narrative. You do have a story teller's qualities! Looking forward to meeting you in May.

Day 5 - A Visit to Milford Sound
.Map.jpg

Almost everywhere I did research said do NOT miss a trip to Milford Sound. Rudyard Kipling called it the 8th Wonder of the World. With press like that, how could we miss it?? Milford Sound has a mean annual rainfall for 268 inches. The weather gods decided to take the day off from watering the land and we were blessed with mostly sunny skies and comfortable temperatures.

We were told to allot a minimum of 2-1/2 hours to get out to the Sound. Our cruise was scheduled to leave at 2:45 so we had plenty of time to stop and look at various places along the way and snap a few photos... there wasn't a whole lot of tourist traffic and the day was just gorgeous...
DSC_8117-X2.jpg

DSC_8124-X2.jpg

Have I mentioned they have a few sheep over there??
DSC_8119-X2.jpg

We started to see the rising mountains in front of us as got further into the park...
DSC_7914-X2.jpg

DSC_7924-X2.jpg

IMG_1941-X2.jpg

Our first stop was at Mirror Lakes... there was a walk way through the woods to get to the lakes...
DSC_7946-XL.jpg

When I first saw this sign, I thought someone made a mistake... then I looked lower...
DSC_7933-X2.jpg

Wonder how they came up with the name?? ;)
DSC_7927.28.29%20pano-X2.jpg

DSC_7935-X2.jpg

DSC_7934-X2.jpg

DSC_7943-X2.jpg

A little while later we were in the middle of the towering mountains with ribbons of tarmac winding its way through...
IMG_1944-X2.jpg

IMG_1945-X2.jpg

DSC_7951-X2.jpg

DSC_7954.55.56-X2.jpg

At the summit, there is a one-way, 1.2-km tunnel guided by a stoplight for traffic to flow... Sally was waiting for me there...
DSC_7965.66%20pano-X2.jpg

DSC_7967-X2.jpg

We were a wee bit nervous as to the condition of the tunnel but, while a bit bumpy, no surprises (i.e. potholes, big rocks, etc.) and we made it through with no issues... camera doesn't focus too well inside a tunnel!
IMG_1958-XL.jpg

The other side is a wonderfully twisty road... unfortunately, our timing was off this time and we got caught behind a bunch of traffic that was moving very slowly and the smell of burning brakes was starting to overwhelm us...
IMG_1959-XL.jpg

So we decided to take a break at The Chasm, an easy access short walk with views of waterfalls, rainforest, and rock formations... now this is what I envisioned for New Zealand!
DSC_7979-X2.jpg

DSC_7978-XL.jpg

Huge ferns adorned the forest... very Jurassic Park like!
DSC_7975-X2.jpg

DSC_7976-X2.jpg

In Maori culture, the Koru design (looks like a curl) is inspired by the fern frond unfurling as it grows. It represents peace, tranquility, personal growth, positive change and awakening...
DSC_8005-X2.jpg

We could hear the waterfall as it thundered down over the rocks - there has been a drought in NZ this year so the rivers weren't running to full capacity so we could only imagine how fierce this waterfall would be when everything was at capacity... it was so cool and fresh here...
DSC_7985.86%20pano-XL.jpg

DSC_7989-XL.jpg

One of the many ponds formed within the falls... surrounded by interesting rock formations...
DSC_7992-X2.jpg

Refreshed, relaxed, and invigorated we continued on... we had packed a picnic lunch and when we arrived at Milford Sound, we de-geared and found a nice shady spot to sit and sup together... we were a bit early for our cruise so chatted with other tourists and wandered around the visitors center and the dock area...
DSC_8012-X2.jpg

DSC_8013-X3.jpg

DSC_8014-X3.jpg

DSC_8017-1663x915.jpg

This would be our vessel for the day... we lucked out as we pretty much had the whole ship and crew to ourselves so got a very personal tour... I highly recommend this particular cruise company... the crew was fun and very knowledgeable about the area...
DSC_8021-X3.jpg

We climbed aboard, made introductions, and set sail for the open water...
DSC_0662.JPG

Our skipper, Craig, who was a very entertaining chap...
DSC_0666-X2.jpg

Looking forward...
DSC_8027-X2.jpg

Looking back toward land...
DSC_8035-X2.jpg

Mitre Peak - The iconic mountain of Milford Sound is one of the tallest mountains in the world. It rises 1692 metres directly from the sea floor. Mitre Peak is the most dominant and most famous feature of Milford Sound...
DSC_8039-X2.jpg

DSC_8064-X2.jpg

I loved the variation of colors and textures between rocks, foliage, and water...
DSC_8037-X2.jpg

DSC_8070-XL.jpg

DSC_8076-X2.jpg

About half way out, we came up on a cruise ship that was taking a tour of the Sound... the Sea Princess is close to 900 feet long and when it first enters our view, it looks quite big...
DSC_8053-X2.jpg

DSC_8051-X2.jpg

After the cruise ship passes, we round a corner and are treated with the sight of sea lions lazing about on the rocks...
DSC_8059-XL.jpg

Reminds me of how I feel on Monday mornings...
DSC_8060-X2.jpg

Then we go by Fairy Falls which is not running very hard on this day but we still get misted by the cool water as it falls off the edge of the rocks...
DSC_8067-X2.jpg

DSC_8073-X2.jpg

Craig tells us that the locals call this rock formation "Kissing Turtles"... I can see it... can you?
DSC_8078-X2.jpg

Again, looking back as we head toward the Tasmania Sea...
DSC_8081-X2.jpg

There was a section of the water that was reddish under the blue and we were told it was from plankton... good to know it wasn't the blood of poorly behaved cruise ship passengers tossed over board for the fish to eat...
DSC_8083-X2.jpg

Craig explains that originally, Captain Cook mapped this as a river entrance and it's easy to sea how as the Sound is hidden from view if you don't look further. The fjord remained undiscovered by Europeans until Captain John Grono discovered it c.1812 and named it Milford Haven after his homeland in Wales. Captain John Lort Stokes later renamed Milford Haven as Milford Sound.
DSC_8082-X2.jpg

The Sea Princess on it's way back out doesn't seem so big anymore as it is towered over by the mountains of the Sound... it's about dead center in the picture but hardly detectable...
DSC_8091-X2.jpg

And more lazy sea lions... I like the feathery flippers on this one...
DSC_8093-X2.jpg

Our next destination would be Stirling Falls - Drops 146 metres - it is the second largest permanent waterfall in the fiord and is fed by glaciers situated in the mountains behind. Named after Captain Stirling when he brought the HMS Cleo into Milford Sound during the 1870s...
DSC_0690.JPG

We are warned that they are going to take the ship into the falls and that if we stay out on the deck, we'll get very wet... I looked at Sally, took my camera inside where it would stay safe and dry, and went back out onto the deck... she thought I was nuts but I said, hey, I'm on a ship in New Zealand in Milford Sound and I have the chance to stand under a waterfall... hell, yeah, I'm gonna do it!! lol Luckily, Sally's camera is waterproof so we get a few shots of our water adventure...
11001916_10155390962935727_5409916601455942355_n.jpg

15624_10155390962320727_4522702317552285889_n-XL.jpg

10984301_10155390962105727_1394552165507788611_n-XL.jpg

Absofrickinglutely brilliant!
DSC_8096-XL.jpg

Another ship lining up under the falls where we had just been...
DSC_8098-X2.jpg

On the way back, now that we have stopped dripping all over the carpet, Craig let each of us take a go at steering the ship...
DSC_0719-XL.jpg

Lady Bowen Falls, named for Diamantina Bowen, wife of George Bowen, the fifth Governor of New Zealand...
DSC_8108-X2.jpg

Our tour had to come to an end but it was such a wonderful experience with some fantastic memories that I will never forget... we gave our crew members big hugs and thanked them for giving us a day that we would carry with us forever...
DSC_8101-X2.jpg

Gear back on and time to head out of the park... along with a whole bunch of other vehicles... sigh, this was going to be a long ride back...
IMG_1963-X2.jpg

But wait... what's that going on right before the one-way tunnel? The tour bus has stopped about 200 yards back from the stoplight leaving a huge gap for other vehicles to pull in front of it... if I could've, I would've hugged that driver... so we scooted on up to the front of the line...
IMG_1964-X2.jpg

On your mark, get set, GOOOOOOOO!!!! Given there is about a 15-30 minute gap between traffic flows, we now have been given the gift of a completely open road ahead of us and we take full advantage of that gift... what a blast it was to ride that road with no traffic whatsoever! At one point, Sally slowed and pointed to an area we had talked about maybe getting pictures on the way back and I fanned my arm forward to say, GO GO GOOOOO!!! There was no photo worth the price of the open road ahead... I didn't take many photos on the way back because we were just having too much fun...
IMG_1971-X2.jpg

DSC_8122-X2.jpg

When we exited the park, we came to a viewpoint of Lake Te Anau and finally stopped to soak in the view and do our happy dances of riding joy...
IMG_1978-X2.jpg

IMG_1980-X2.jpg

Back to our little home away from home, we visited with the kids next door and traded stories of what we had seen...
DSC_0741.JPG

We showered and walked into town to get some dinner before our tour of the glow worm caves...
IMG_2004-XL.jpg

IMG_2003-XL.jpg

And sat outside to watch the sky put on it's show for the evening...
IMG_1982-XL.jpg

IMG_1995-X2.jpg

IMG_2010-X2.jpg

IMG_2007-X2.jpg

IMG_2009-XL.jpg

We weren't allowed to take photos on the cave tour so don't have anything to show you... 12,000 year-old caves, carved out into swirling shapes by the force of the river that flows through them and then to a grotto of glittering glow worms, native to New Zealand... kind of felt like a Disneyland entrance to an attraction or something... Sally said I was jaded... I guess after a day like we had had, it was kind of hard to top that... ;)

I found some photos from Google images to give you an idea...
te-anau-glowworm-caves.jpg

RJ_Vol9_129.jpg

Glow-Worms1.jpg

The tour was over around midnight and the walk back to our room seemed infinitely longer than it did going into town... but we finally made it without tripping over anything and slept quite soundly given we were in bunk beds and afraid we'd smack our heads on the bunk above when we got up in the middle of the night to go to the loo... that and we were exhausted from such a wonderful day...

The next chapter - Te Anau to Queenstown

B)

Looks like you had a blast. I was worried at first, but once the fog and overcast abated, this RR got back to the Tyler photographic color extravaganza that we've become accustomed to. Now I don't have to actually travel there with the attendant expense; I've been visually transported. Good work!

WOW!!!!!!!!

Love it!

Just magnifies my already fervent wish to ride the South Island someday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no words for what I just saw........ :)

It looked like the outdoor sets of the Harry Potter movies.

Last edited by a moderator: