Ae Gearchange Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloomeanie

Reaction score
Just returned from touring France on my Fjr - ran perfect all the way.

Commuting locally and gearchang starts jumping into neutral when standing at lights, and difficult to get into first to set-off again.

Stays in gear if i hold the up-change button in, and sometimes changes up using combination of footchange and handchange.

But jumps back down gears to first or neutral all of it`s own accord

Does anyone know of this problem, or anything similar.

Desparation creeping in slowly.

Please, please can someone help?

Explain to your AE that it only an auto clutch, not an auto shift. ;)

If it is shifting on its own it almost has to be in the gear selection electrics. What year is your AE? Early AEs had a problem with a bracket breaking and the newer AEs are as prone to the 6 grounding connectors burning up as any other '06 - '10 FJR.

Any other weird electrical happenings, such as the dash lights going wonky?

Last edited by a moderator:
First I've heard of an AE (SA) model having gear change problems. What year is it?

It might be possible that the shift contacts are set too close inside the switch and so are activating the shifter/clutch via something as simple as vibration. I've never taken the switch apart so can't say for sure. MacTrophy?

I've got nothing really to add. First time I've heard of this particular issue before.

The shift actuator problem with first few '06 AE models bit me (dealer never installed the fix prior to delivery, Yamaha replaced the actuator free), and the failure was absolute and immediate. No warning or misbehaviour as described above. I'd think it would have to be electrical/electronic, and isolating the circuit by not turning on the paddle shifter seems a good suggestion to try to zero in on where exactly the problem is.

Also bit by the spider, and this was not one of the symptoms... although there are a range of things that manifest just before S4 bites you in the ass, and maybe this is just another one that hasn't been reported yet.

Very interested in hearing what the final diagnosis is on this, hope you find a solution soon and post up.

Griff

Just returned from touring France on my Fjr - ran perfect all the way.

Commuting locally and gearchang starts jumping into neutral when standing at lights, and difficult to get into first to set-off again.

Stays in gear if i hold the up-change button in, and sometimes changes up using combination of footchange and handchange.

But jumps back down gears to first or neutral all of it`s own accord

Does anyone know of this problem, or anything similar.

Desparation creeping in slowly.

Please, please can someone help?
Two possibilities: You need to replace/bleed clutch fluid; your idle is improperly set.

Bike is an 06 model

Haven`t tried NOT using hand-shift (DOH) but will first thing

That (hopefully) should narrow it down

Thanks to everyone for replies - you`re all a great help. :yahoo:

First I've heard of an AE (SA) model having gear change problems. What year is it?
It might be possible that the shift contacts are set too close inside the switch and so are activating the shifter/clutch via something as simple as vibration. I've never taken the switch apart so can't say for sure. MacTrophy?
...MacTrophy?... mcatrophy
Nice cross post, we agree
smile.gif
It was some time since I had my hand switch apart, I've not looked at the foot switch. The photo I took of the hand switch (click on image for larger view)

isn't very helpful.

As far as I remember, there are two change-over microswitches, it requires the change-over to convince the computer that all is well with the circuit, otherwise it will complain. So I don't think the switch is the cause.

To me it sounds much more likely that the ECU has gone screwy, which would be very expensive to fix.

Might be worth disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to try to completely reset the ECU (although I don't think Yamaha use Windoze in their computers).

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike is an 06 model and idles steady at 1100

Tried not using handchange but no difference.

Had a look inside handlebar switch and it looked clean , allconnections looked secure and solid,

greased with silicone grease,refitted but still same.

Took to stealer due to lack of time and excess of panic

Just heard that parts will arrive end of next week and cost 400 quid(?) all in.

I was out fettling sons bike when missus (non-tech)took message so what parts I won`t know now til monday morning when stealer opens again.

At leasted my loved-one will be active again next week, and an expensive lesson learnt.

Will post details asap.

Thanks again for all your help.

After nearly 4 weeks without my wheels, finally got them back in working order.

Turned out to be something called an "Angle Set Sensor" and lead.

Stealer only took under a day to complete the job.

Yamaha took over 3 weeks to send them from Japan.

One day we might get to use Scotty`s Transporter!!!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

That is the sensor that attaches to the foot shifter. It is really picky, a few fractions of a degree off and the whole system goes loopy. I bent my shifter (don't ask) and had to replace it and getting that switch dialed in correctly took a few days.