aerostich guy;s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the RC one piece for one reason alone. You never forget to zip the two together. Some you cannot zip together at all. It's about dressing for the crash. If you should fall, you have the potential for the jacket to ride up and expose areas in the midsection that can be subject to road rash. Especially if you are not wearing a separate spine protector that does not depend on the jacket to be held in place.

That being said, my wife wears a two piece RC with the optional mid section that zips on plus a separate Dianese spin protector (in addition to the one built into the RC jacket). That provides the protection that is lacking as described above. She wears a 2 piece for restroom breaks. One piece suits end up on the floor for her trying to use the restroom and she did not want that to happen.

While the RC is a very good suit and most believe Aerostitch is the standard for rain suits, I personally prefer leather and wear my Dianese two piece suit and always zip it togther with and additional separate spine protector worn underneath. I have a good set of REI gortex rain gear that i put on over the Dianese if I encounter rain. I just find the leather more comfortable than the aerostitch for me.

I have the RC one piece for one reason alone. You never forget to zip the two together.
Interesting - my two-piece stays zipped together all the time. I haven't had the sections apart for years except for washing or to use the bib converter on occasion in the winter. I guess I'd be just as well off with a one piece, except for the mix and match color thing on the two-piece!

I have the RC one piece for one reason alone. You never forget to zip the two together.
Interesting - my two-piece stays zipped together all the time. I haven't had the sections apart for years except for washing or to use the bib converter on occasion in the winter. I guess I'd be just as well off with a one piece, except for the mix and match color thing on the two-piece!

I can't tell you how many I see that are not zipped together. More that don't then do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with the 2pc RC because I'm tall 6' 170lb (fairly skinny) and have broad sholders a real short body and real long legs and arms (34-35" inseam). Too much to alterations a one-piece to fit me, so I took a 44L jacket and 34"waist pants with 3" added to the inseam, plenty of room for layering. I can't use the knee pads they aren't where my knees are. I use some heavy duty suspenders on the pants and take off my jacket at resturants. I've moved to Arizona since I bought the RC, it is really hot here, so I have a 2pc silver airflow fieldsheer suit for the summer months.

I went with the 2pc RC because I'm tall 6' 170lb (fairly skinny) and have broad sholders a real short body and real long legs and arms (34-35" inseam). Too much to alterations a one-piece to fit me, so I took a 44L jacket and 34"waist pants with 3" added to the inseam, plenty of room for layering. I can't use the knee pads they aren't where my knees are. I use some heavy duty suspenders on the pants and take off my jacket at resturants. I've moved to Arizona since I bought the RC, it is really hot here, so I have a 2pc silver airflow fieldsheer suit for the summer months.
I had the same problem with my 2 piece when I first received it. I called Aerostich, explained the issue (I'm built the same as you) and the next question was " whoever took your order obviously didn't ask the right questions!". Needless to say, I had a new pair of pants inside of 3 days from them to me in AZ, got a great fit (including the knee pad positioning) and have had great service from it ever since. I'd contact them about altering the pants as the knee pads can be made to fit comfortably while in the riding position.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once considered the 2 piece RC suit, but went with the one piece and have been happy with that choice for over 8 years now. The suit is like a comfortable shoe...it works great and feels nice. It was board stiff at the start, but that's worked out with mileage and few rounds in the dryer with boots and tennis balls to beat it into submission. I give it the wash-in Nikwax treatment annually and that has kept me dry. A couple of months ago, I finally wore out the metal pull on the main zipper and had to replace that piece, but otherwise, the RC's been trouble-free. Sometime this year, I'm going to send it back to Aerostich for some new velcro and, uh, a gusset or two. ;)

One of these days, I might pick up a Darien for the shorter commutes to work, but I'm not in a hurry.

1 piece stich has many other functions than safety, not mention a space suit for Halloween, it can be used as a snow suit with thermals under it. I was on a 3 day snowmobile trip with temps in the -20s, 50 mph winds... the suit held up great with the added thermals and a heated vest. On my way to work one rainy morning, I was hit by a wall of water that a bus threw up on the highway. I was laughing hysterically! I'm dry! I am Dry! no Ffffing way! If you make a trip up to Duluth they do give you a percentage off the suit.

10% if you buy from the store, so come on up. You can even take me to lunch. :)

You can also get 10% off web/phone orders if your active military or a MSF instructor.

https://www.aerostich.com/pricing-discounts
If I make it up there, I will bring you some Spam, as I would really like to see you take another bite out of Spam!! :) :clapping: :) ;)

Dang, how come did I not hear about the Anchor bar when my kid was going to school there? Sounds great. I don't suppose I could double up on the 10% discounts being a MSF rider coach and going right to Aerostich?

10% if you buy from the store, so come on up. You can even take me to lunch. :)
I would be more than happy to buy you lunch! After all... you'll be putting me up for a couple nights! :)
It'll take more than a free lunch to have that dirty ole whore sleeping next to my pristine '05. Who knows what might rub off on her.

I went with a 2 piece & have been very happy with it, except for the color. I went with grey with black ballistics. However, it has more of a green tinge to it. But, functional wise, it works great. Never worn the jacket without the pants, always zipped together.

I've been wearing a 2pc RC for about 12 years now. It's like a security blanket and I can't imagine riding in anything else. Every once in a great while I wear just the jacket for a quick trip to the store or something and I'm always surprised at how much more vulnerable I feel; wearing the 'stich is like wearing a suit of armor.....Been down once wearing it and walked away with only a sprained finger; not even a bruise. Suit held up well too; wouldn't have needed any repair if I hadn't been carrying a metal air pressure gauge in the pocket.

I frequently wish I had a one piece because I almost always wear both pieces and I think the one piece would be a little more comfortable. Not that my 2pc is uncomfortable.....I think the comfort was more of a factor when I was riding my VFR/Superhawk and the pants' waist/hem of the jacket would bunch up a little in the front of my waist. Probably not much of an issue now on the FJR.

I think it really depends on what you're going to use the suit for. It you're going to wear it on mostly longer (commuting, all-day or multi-day) trips then I would go for the 1pc. But if you're going to be wearing it running errands or zipping around town as well, then get the 2 pc so you can use just the jacket if you choose.

As far as fit goes, they have a fitting program on the website that you fill in your measurements and they send you an email with a size suggestion including any recommended custom alteration (i.e. 46 regular with forward-rotated sleeves and belly gusset.)