Russell seat Guys

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunch truck larry

Reaction score
Hi Guys, finely sold enough hot dogs to get a new seat! need some input . leather or vinyl? (bike is stored inside) I only get to ride about 2000 mile's a year. Mostly solo, What about back rest? I'am short and..shall we say " portly" 5'7 , 200 lbs,short arms , seems, like I'am leaning forword,more than upright,do have MCL bar risers ,but don't know if backrest will work? What about patterns, half moon or rectangles? Don't care for the quilted look..any other suggestions??... as always, it is so nice to have you guy to ask all these silly question to ,Thanks for any advice ..Lunchtruck Larry..

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry, you pretty much answered your question on the backrest, if you are leaning forward, the backrest won't do much. As for material, I chose vinyl, less maintenance and less hassle if it rains. As for stitching design, I chose the half moon and I like the simple design. The more stitching, the more holes in the cover for leaking should the seat get wet. Follow russell's instructions and you will be wondering why you waited so long to do the upgrade!

I went with vinyl and couldn't be happier with it... no swamp-butt for me even on 700 mile days, hit plenty of rain and it handled it very well. Went with the half-moon design and I think it matches the look of the Feejer best out of all the available patterns... plus I ditto what Full House said about less stitching being a good thing!

Oh wow, what an amazing seat it is... if you ride in cold weather at either end of your riding season I would recommend the heater option. Nice and toasty buns combined with the furnace blowing on your legs all the time, you can ride cozy down to low 40s easily!

Happy ordering, follow their pic requests carefully and you'll get a good fit. Love mine! :D

Abe in MI

I have a leather half moondual on my FJR and a vinyl half moon solo on the Vstrom. The leather is much more comfortable as it takes shape and conforms to your behind better. The vinyl is better in the rain or when dropped in a deep mud puddle (yes the 'strom has been there) and of course it is less hot dogs.

Choice is yours. You will be happy either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leather, it breathes.
punk.gif

I like the leather. Nice and soft to the feel. Doesn't cook your butt after sitting in the sun. Cost a bit more but it's worth it.
+1 on leather.

If it is raining the seat does not get wet because my but is on it.

When I stop and do not have the luxury of shelter I cover it with a plastic trash bag.

I will never go back to a vinyl seat.

Leather here and you can also order the custom fit rain cover. The rain cover keeps the rain of it but moisture still collects under it if it sits over night out in the rain. I always put the cover on if we are riding into some rain and it works well while riding.