Leather Color for Russell seat (black or graphite)? Any problems with half moon Quilting pattern?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikW

Reaction score
So I am shipping my seat off to Russel early this next month. I still have a little time to change my mind on some details, namely the color and the quilting pattern. My current choice is half moon and graphite leather. I have since recieved sample of the leather, black and graphite. I have yet to change my mind. I was curious if there was any reason to change my mind. I think the graphite looks better and will be little cooler in the sun.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,

Erik

Once your butt is on it the sun won't shine there anyway. The black is a little warm initially, but I don't know if you'd see a substantial difference between the two. I can tell you that the leather seems to heat up less than vinyl.

My Russell is graphite vinyl with the half moon stitch pattern, I like the graphite better than black. The half moon doesn't have as much stitching as some of the otherpatterns. Less stitching = fewer holes in the cover. Just get what you like best, The Russell will be the best money you spend on yourself and your bike!

I bought my Russell used several years ago from someone on the Forum.

He was from Florida as well, and that seat has the velour cover - the velour is definitely cooler in the sun than leather or vinyl.

The cover on mine is starting to show its age and when I send it in to get recovered, I'm debating about sticking with the velour or doing something different.

And you're gonna love your seat!

Full House, do you have any pictures you can share?
All, thanks for the feed back.
I agree...... It would be nice to see a thread with people that ordered - the configuration they chose to give others an idea how they may like their own build.

FWIW - I like black, and you can easily carry a small white hand towel for days when its hot and in the sun to lay over the seat to avoid the seat from getting too hot. At least thats what I do. I hate the heat and my woman loves it, not bad for pretty much the only thing we ever conflict on.....

Thanks Everyone for the feed back. I am hoping this seat will work miracles. The longest ride I have been on is 600 miles on my stock seat and it was very painful. Another goal I have is to decide if I am a serious rider and if I am really willing to tour significant distances or if I am just a weekend rider. No I don't ride to work; I car pool. If I decide I am a serious touring biker then I suspect the russell seat will allow me to confirm this. in which case I will likely eventually end up with multiple bikes and my eye is currently on the K1600GT. I am not too much of a fan of the price but it is comparable to Goldwing, the de facto standard for touring.

My plans are to take a long trip in late September. I have not decided where. My first idea was to run to East FL and take the autotrain north to Washington, DC and then ride the Blue Ridge parkway back south. My second idea is to head west to TX hill country (one of my favorites) and then onto big Bend, NM and back. LA is a little boring, or it will be on the interstate. There is really good BBQ in TX. It sounds like this should start pushing this onto another page so I will stop here.

BikerGeek99,

Every time I think of them offering the seats in velour I can help but think of Zapp Brannigan in Futurama. Can't bring myself to consider that material for now, I am too childish.

Warpdrv,

I think it would be nice to get many Russell pictures in one locations or just any aftermarket seat. Unfortunately I don't see a way to post pictures. I guess there is a disk space requirement or copyright issue.

thanks

ErikW - just rode the Hill Country yesterday, 750 mile day after driving the 250 miles from Dallas to get here. Awesome roads, especially the Three Sisters!

These long mileage days confirm what I began to suspect when I did my first long ride in Arkansas a couple of weeks ago. The Corbin seat I'm on wont cut it. It's great out of the gate but after the first 300 miles it starts wearing on you - bad. Looks like its RDL for me too. Will get it ordered this week.

Agree with your thoughts on the GL1800 and K1600 for long distance touring. We'll see after The RDL. Don't know how it would be possible though to have more fun on a bike than yesterday!

David,

That is a lot of miles in a day. I wonder how that ride would have compared to a stock seat. I am under the impression that almost all after market seats are nicer than the stock seat. It is a foolish idea but someday I want to do a IBA butt burner but at the same time I need to keep myself relaxed. I have a tendency to push my self too long. It is a lesson I have learned the hard way. Glade you enjoyed the hill country.

The challenging roads in FL are mostly at the coast line but our hazards are a little different. If it is tourist season, the tourist are the first challenge. Keep an eye open cause they will never see you. The next hazard is the scenery and I don't mean the white sand beaches. I still amazed at the preferred motorcycle attire in this area. It is flip flops, shorts, short sleeve short (sometimes) and no helmet.

I have decided that I will continue with the graphite and half moon options on my seat. I am looking forward to the new seat but not the approximate four weeks I will be without a ride.

Thanks everyone,

Erik

I am under the impression that almost all after market seats are nicer than the stock seat. It is a foolish idea but someday I want to do a IBA butt burner but at the same time I need to keep myself relaxed.
I have decided that I will continue with the graphite and half moon options on my seat. I am looking forward to the new seat but not the approximate four weeks I will be without a ride.
I expect the half-moon and graphite leather combination will work really well for you. I had a half-moon pattern Russell and was very pleased with it. I currently have a large rectangle pattern Russell in what I think is the medium gray vinyl and it's a terrific seat. The gray is definitely cooler when parked in the sun for a while and the graphite leather should provide a nice contrast to the standard black. Leather is definitely cooler while riding than vinyl - I have not tried velour and probably won't.

Nothing foolish about trying one of the Iron Butt rides. The important part is being well prepared; planning the ride, prepping your bike and yourself, practicing your skills. A Saddle Sore 1000 (1,000 miles or more in under 24 hours) is easy to achieve if you have a bike that is comfortable for you and you minimize your stopped time. There are plenty of people on here who can provide you with all the insight and mentoring you could possibly want. Other people may think it's a foolish goal, but if you want to do it, give it a try. You may find that it's somewhat addictive.

Pete,

Thank for sharing.

Anyone still reading,

What is your experience with water/rain on the russell seat? Any problems? Do you use the cover?

thanks,