Dunlop Mutant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In what will probably be my last long ride for the season (it snowed just north of here yesterday), I racked up around 1,000kms this weekend.

Early Friday morning I left in the midst of some strong winds and heavy rains. The roads were alternating mats of wet leaves and pine needles with the occasional dead tree thrown across for good measure. I wasn't pushing things by any stretch under those conditions but never felt the bike was loose as I twisted and turned around the hills and never had any issues when hit with strong gusts of cross-winds.

I did goose the throttle briefly twice -- once on leaves, once on needles, bike upright and straight both times -- and unsurprisingly managed to break traction and spin the rear. For anyone who has not had the pleasure, riding on pine needles is like riding on thousands of roller bearings.

Saturday the riding was drier, and I took the 407 to try the grooved concrete. Speed varied from, umm, faster than the billing camera, to keeping pace with other traffic. Accel, decel, throttle locked at a steady speed with hands off the bars: never any sign of headshake or instability whatsoever.

The only unexpected event happened this morning. I'd been on the road (city streets) perhaps 5 or 10 minutes so the tires were still cool (ambient temp 10°C). The road was damp from a light overnight rain and slightly downhill, so no standing water. I was approaching my next turn and had just changed to the right lane but was pretty much fully upright. I was braking firmly, but not especially hard when the front end seemed to wash out to the left momentarily.

I reflexively released most front lever pressure and increased rear pedal pressure but don't know if that stopped the slip. I doubt it, things happened too fast and I think it was over in less than my reaction time. I can say the ABS never kicked. I'm not sure if that's because I was already off the lever pressure by the time the computer could compensate?

I have no idea what caused it. Possibly a spot of oil on the road but despite the street and head lights it was still dark out and the road was shiny from the light rain.

I'm a little late in posting this, but here's an update on the Mutants. After a long weekend to west Virginia in the begining of October, with one day of rain and mostly cool temps, 50 to 55°, mostly all back roads, I took some measurements. Tires have 2290 miles. I used calibers in center of tire, and about an inch and 1/4 off center. I then went to my local dealer and did the same measurements on a new set. The new ones were not mounted, so I don't know if the numbers would change if there was pressure in them. If someone gets some mounted, let me know if you can replicate these numbers. Front: center .120" on mine .180 new. Off center .155" mine .185" new. Rear: center .190" mine .270" new. Off center .270" mine .285" new. Both tires are still decently rounded, with only minor flat spots.the front has cupping only on the tips of the diamonds, which you cannot feel, but can hear as a slight roaring sound cornering over 50 mph.Most of my riding is "spirited" on two lanes. Tires still feel great, and I have hit some grooved and scraped and gravel roads with no adverse effects.IMG_6967.jpgIMG_6968.jpgIMG_6978.jpgIMG_6977.jpgIMG_6970.jpgIMG_6973.jpgIMG_6976.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6974.jpg
    IMG_6974.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
7,000km update:

I did try them out for a short ride in the snow back in March, and can confirm that as a snow tire, they suck. No real surprise there, I'll stick with the 4wd pickup and studded tires for winter use.

I'm still happy with the grip and feel of these tires, especially on the post-winter sand coated excuse for roads we have around here. I've never had any surprise slips on patches of sand. But: I don't think these are going to go the distance compared to the Michelin R series.

The rear is holding up better, perhaps about 50% life left. Just starting to see some flattening of the centre section. But that would suggest a life of perhaps 14,000kms -- still well short of what I got out of the R5s which would go closer to 18,000 or 20,000kms (on the rear).
KIMG2893.JPG

As with the R5s, the front is wearing faster (I found the R5 fronts wore 2:1 compared to rears). I have distinct cupping resulting in notable tire noise when cornering. I'd estimate the wear at at least 2/3 right now -- the centre section is still pretty decent but it's wearing fast were the front matters most. (Maybe I corner too much? -- Nah, no such thing!) Not going to get much more out of this:

KIMG2892.JPG

Debating if I should throw another Mutant on the front and run the existing rear out, possibly staying with the Mutant's due to their superior grip on sandy roads, or buy a matched pair of R6s for the longevity and wet grip. The Mutants are a lower initial purchase price, but the Michelins seem to be cheaper per mile.

7,000km update:

I did try them out for a short ride in the snow back in March, and can confirm that as a snow tire, they suck. No real surprise there, I'll stick with the 4wd pickup and studded tires for winter use.

I'm still happy with the grip and feel of these tires, especially on the post-winter sand coated excuse for roads we have around here. I've never had any surprise slips on patches of sand. But: I don't think these are going to go the distance compared to the Michelin R series.

The rear is holding up better, perhaps about 50% life left. Just starting to see some flattening of the centre section. But that would suggest a life of perhaps 14,000kms -- still well short of what I got out of the R5s which would go closer to 18,000 or 20,000kms (on the rear).
View attachment 7056

As with the R5s, the front is wearing faster (I found the R5 fronts wore 2:1 compared to rears). I have distinct cupping resulting in notable tire noise when cornering. I'd estimate the wear at at least 2/3 right now -- the centre section is still pretty decent but it's wearing fast were the front matters most. (Maybe I corner too much? -- Nah, no such thing!) Not going to get much more out of this:

View attachment 7057

Debating if I should throw another Mutant on the front and run the existing rear out, possibly staying with the Mutant's due to their superior grip on sandy roads, or buy a matched pair of R6s for the longevity and wet grip. The Mutants are a lower initial purchase price, but the Michelins seem to be cheaper per mile.
Or try the Dunlop Roadsmart IV...
A bunch of tests done for a series of on-line articles.
Who knows if it is real or a paid promotion but the comparison between R6 and RS IV was carried out by two riders riding together with identical bikes from installation to end-of-life. Bikes swapped back and forth. Note: VFR800, so a lighter bike than the FJR. Nice to see a tire test where it is more than a weekend of riding on new tires. (I just put a set on a week or so ago.)

As they say, YMMV

Summer Tire Shootout- Dunlop Roadsmart IV vs. Michelin Road 6 (roaddirt.tv)
Dunlop Roadsmart IV vs. Michelin Road 6: Dry Handling Comparison (roaddirt.tv)
Dunlop Roadsmart IV vs Michelin Road 6: Wet Handling Test (roaddirt.tv)
Dunlop RoadSmart IV vs Michelin Road 6- Long Term Handling Test (roaddirt.tv)
Dunlop Roadsmart IV vs Michelin Road 6: Final Results (roaddirt.tv)

I saw their first test, interesting to see the follow-up. Oddly, in the earlier installments they gave the Roadsmart a "slight edge" in handling over the R6, but in the concluding installment they said the RS handling was "lightyears ahead" of the R6. I wonder if the perception changed, or if it reflects the changes due to wear.

I also find it interesting that there was no mention of one tire wearing out faster than the other. They are apparently cornering pretty aggressively, I wonder why they seem to have balanced wear while I go through fronts so fast. FJR's additional weight, perhaps? It is about 10% heavier than the VFR, but I wouldn't have thought that to be enough to make such a significant difference.

They did say that both were vastly superior to the Pirelli Angel. Between the two tires (R6 and RS IV), I think either would be satisfactory. I don't see that there is likely to be a huge difference so pricing and available rebates might come into play. (Dunlop has a new $40 rebate going for two tires and $60 if you include installation.) (In-person purchase, not on-line. From a Dunlop "Pro Dealer".) Not sure what Michelin has going right now.

My favourite on-line Canadian motorcycle tire dealer isn't advertising the price, but is privately offering the RSIV front for about 60% of the cost of the R6 version. And the Mutant for a few dollars less than that. No mention of a rebate though, so I guess it's "in lieu of".

My favourite on-line Canadian motorcycle tire dealer isn't advertising the price, but is privately offering the RSIV front for about 60% of the cost of the R6 version. And the Mutant for a few dollars less than that. No mention of a rebate though, so I guess it's "in lieu of".
The Dunlop rebate definitely applies to RS IV and Mutant, but they are very specific that purchase must be made in person at a Dunlop "Pro Dealer". On-line purchase does not qualify. Even a "Pro Dealer" such as Pete's only works if you shop in person. The link is for Canada and I think there are similar rules for US customers.

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/offers/mayjune-pro-dealer-2812-2/

Thanks for the update torch! I'm always open to trying different tire(s) on the FJR.

Had a set of Scorpion Trail IIs on the Super Ten that I loved, and got close to 11k miles. Ran a set on the FJR, liked them a lot and got right at 9k miles. Decent tires. For the FJR I have a set of RS3s waiting in the wings that go on next. Also picked up (stole) a set of RS4s from a local dealer and snagged the Dunlop rebate.

BTW...Mounted a set of RS4s yesterday for Niehart and they go on as easy as Michelin's. Much more pliable tire verses 'stones or RS3s.

~G

I like the RS4 ‘s that I have on the Fjr. Zero complaints. I could not justify the extra money for the R6. The RS4 are round, black and comfortable riding tires that handle well.

Latest posts