Dunlop Mutant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I happened to hit a stretch of grooved pavement on the highway this morning, but this was the deep wide grooves left as they tear off the old prior to repaving. There's a reason why the warning sign for grooved pavement features a motorcycle! But I can't say it was any better or worse than other times with other tires. Overall, I find the FJR handles grooved pavement better than my older bikes with skinny bias-ply tires.

I deal with grooved pavement with positive steering input, weaving left and right in my lane constantly until it ends. Interestingly, the complainant apparently found similar relief: "As soon as you put lean angle on it, it all but disappears."

I don't think I've had the Mutant's out on grooved concrete yet however. The only stretch of that I can think of is the 407 and I think I still had the R5s on the last time I rode that. I won't be down that way for at least a week but I'll make a point of trying it out when I'm next in that area.

tc-19a_-_motorcycles_on_grooved_pavement.png

Last edited:
I'll be ordering a rear in the next week or two, still between this and an R5. Keep the thoughts coming please.

I'll be ordering a rear in the next week or two, still between this and an R5. Keep the thoughts coming please.
Still a bit early for me to give any final thoughts. I still have less than 4,000kms (a little over 2,000mi) on them. But -- so far -- I am not disappointed.

I did manage to deliberately slip the rear in a light rain the other day. I was accelerating from a stop while leaned well into a right hand turn. The pavement was brand new and the crosswalk was freshly painted with broad (12"? wide) European style stripes. But while I could detect the slip, it was a very linear transition from grip to slip to grip again as I goosed it crossing the paint. Not like it broke loose completely.

Oh, and I got to try out an unplanned emergency stop on the highway when a critter darted out in front at 4am. The rear ABS did chatter a bit but the front just dug in and held throughout. Pavement was dry and bare and I was in a straight line. One-up and lightly loaded with only a small overnight bag in the luggage. No problem.

At this point, there is some evidence of incipient cupping on the front. Hard to measure exactly, but perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 mm difference in block height from side to side. Note that the front tread depths vary -- some of the grooves forming blocks are only ~4mm deep from new, probably to limit cupping. And even the deeper front grooves are shallower than the rear -- 6/32 front vs 8/32 rear. Overall, it seems to be wearing relatively evenly but I don't want to guess at the remaining life just yet.

The rear is definitely holding up well. Pretty even wear with a maximum of 1/32 wear. Assuming a replacement depth of 3/32, it would be 1/5 worn, so hypothetically will hang in there to, say, 15,000 to 20,000kms (9,000 to 12,000mi).

Note that my riding is probably 80% freeway at >100kph (63mph). And, say, 10% urban roads and traffic. I have been pushing them at times just to see how they handle it in the remaining 10% back roads. I suspect the incipient cupping is related to the spirited riding during that 10%.

Last edited:
Selfishly the front doesn't concern me too much as I've got a new T32 on there in anticipation of a Michelin going on the rear. (Don't like their fronts.) And you've probably seen it already but in that thread Ross linked to the latest entry has a complaint about the rears wearing out quickly. Quickly isn't defined nor is the riding style so who knows.

the latest entry has a complaint about the rears wearing out quickly. Quickly isn't defined nor is the riding style so who knows.
Nor does he mention pressures. That is why I do try to give some idea of what I'm putting them through.

It's possible that climate also plays a role. Back in the day, the Gen 1 came with either MEZ4s or BT020s, randomly fitted. Some swore by one, some by the other and there were an equal number of complaints on both sides. Long and the short of it after a while, we notice a pattern: Metz seemed to do better in warmer climates, suffering lack of grip when cool, 'Stones had grip in cooler climates but wore out fast where it was hot.

Nor does he mention pressures. That is why I do try to give some idea of what I'm putting them through.
He did say he tried multiple pressures from 25-38 psi.
Different bike, different suspension, different roads different riding technique/habits. Who knows?
I just linked the thread as it seemed relevant - another data point. I have found some tires reasonably tolerant and others absolutely butt-clenching on surfaces such as a metal grid bridge deck.

Hmmm. Looking back, I guess I posted that in the other thread. I've settled on 35F/38R cold (riding solo, lightly loaded). It's coming up to 38F/42R when warmed up, so I'm a touch shy of the "10/20 rule". Should leave enough meat on the bone to carry a passenger or heavier load without having to bump up the pressure for the trip.

Just curious 🤔, but I don't see any mention of the Battle Ax tires that these bikes come with from the factory. I have over 10,000 miles on the rear and the front only shows slight cupping. The rear looks like it might go another 1,000 to 2,000 miles and the front maybe another 3,000 to 4,000 miles? And the price is right. $110 front and $193 rear! Just my personal opinion/experience. Jevers

Interesting. I happened to hit a stretch of grooved pavement on the highway this morning, but this was the deep wide grooves left as they tear off the old prior to repaving. There's a reason why the warning sign for grooved pavement features a motorcycle! But I can't say it was any better or worse than other times with other tires. Overall, I find the FJR handles grooved pavement better than my older bikes with skinny bias-ply tires.

I deal with grooved pavement with positive steering input, weaving left and right in my lane constantly until it ends. Interestingly, the complainant apparently found similar relief: "As soon as you put lean angle on it, it all but disappears."

I don't think I've had the Mutant's out on grooved concrete yet however. The only stretch of that I can think of is the 407 and I think I still had the R5s on the last time I rode that. I won't be down that way for at least a week but I'll make a point of trying it out when I'm next in that area.

View attachment 5631Those bumps remind me of crossing into Mexico at the Lukeville crossing. This team of border guards stopped us, and asked for licence and registration. The area was full of these 6" steel hemispheres whose purpose was to slow traffic. This was a dangerous layout and one guy put a foot down, slid off of one, and twisted his ankle. Rider and bike went down. All of us found that our tires slid off of these, and did not ride over them. Not good. Other than that, my R6GTs were a dream come true. Can't wait to read the Mutant reviews.

Just curious 🤔, but I don't see any mention of the Battle Ax tires that these bikes come with from the factory. I have over 10,000 miles on the rear and the front only shows slight cupping. The rear looks like it might go another 1,000 to 2,000 miles and the front maybe another 3,000 to 4,000 miles? And the price is right. $110 front and $193 rear! Just my personal opinion/experience. Jevers
My favourite front is the BT023. It handles well right until it's down to the wear bars, it's one of very few that will. Even its replacement from Bridgestone, the T32, drops off for the last thousand or so.

Rear is less fussy, I usually put whatever Bridgestone my local tyre place has, the T32 perhaps feels a little tighter in the wet than the 023.

But I don't get the milage others do, lucky to get 9000 from a front, 6000 the rear, though i do change them as soon as they touch the wear bars - it's illegal to use them beyond that..

At time of this reply, I’m currently in NC and Tennessee mountains riding on a new rear Mutant (only) and the handling is as good as the best tire as I’ve ever had. I’ve scraped the pegs a few times and no issues, I’m totally confident in the turns.
But I can’t testify in riding in the rain yet, I live in Florida so it’s only a matter of time,

Looks like you might have a chance to test that rain handling this weekend. Shouldn't washout the weekend though. Enjoy it all.