Dunlop Mutant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torch

Reaction score
It's almost time for new rubber, the Road5's are just about done. I was planning to go with the Road6, but am reading good things about the Dunlop Mutant. I've had the R5 slip a few times when cornering on less-than-perfect back roads and it sounds like the Mutant might be better suited for some of the conditions I ride.

Has anyone tried them on an FJR, and if so, what has been your experience?

I currently have a set of Dunlop Roadsmart IV waiting in the wings, but when I bought them, I considered the Mutants. I haven't heard of anyone running them on an FJR. Interesting tread pattern (almost reminiscent of an adventure tire) that should shed water effectively. I wonder how that would translate to grip on sandy asphalt or a good quality dirt road? Reviews are pretty solid and what I have read suggests that they hold up pretty well. The reviews I saw were on lighter bikes so who knows what you might expect for kilometers on a porkier FJR. I'll be interested to see how these work out.
So many tires and so little time...

Last edited:
Haven't run a Mutant yet. Agreed the tread pattern might work better in less than great conditions.
Another data point. As a test, I ran a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs on the FJR. On dirty wet roads, they **seemed** to offer better grip than a pure street tire. Decided to try after running a set on my Tenere and loving them. Tread life was similar to 'stones & RS IIIs I usually run...8 - 9K miles to wear bars.

~G

Thanks. He does call it his "favourite tire" and mentions Sport Touring. But he never mentioned it in his 2022 tire review and I'm not sure what kind of bike he's using for sport touring -- I know he doesn't like luggage on a bike. His personal bike is a Beemer F800 GS, which weighs in around 400 lbs. Hard to tell from videos, but I'm guessing he weighs in less than 200lbs. so his total weight could be less than the FJR alone. So while his opinion is of interest, I'm not sure how relevant his experience is in this case.

Any further reports on the Mutant?
I came across a video comparing Dunlop Adventure Tires - which included the Mutant. I was interested because I am running the Dunlop Trailmax Missions on my F700GS (Roadsmart IV waiting to go on the FJR next). The video compared the Mutant to various other "adventure" tires from Dunlop, including the Missions. (I believe they rated the Mutant as a 80-20 tire meaning that it had some off-pavement capability but probably nothing you would want to use in really rough terrain. Video doesn't compare the Mutant to any 100% street tires.

It will be very interesting to see whether they hold up well. Might be a decent tire if you find yourself venturing onto decent gravel from time-to-time.
(The Trailmax Missions are reputed to have exceptional lifetime, especially for a tire billed as a 70-30. Some have complained about poor wet traction, but I haven't found it to be an issue on the BMW. Haven't really pushed them under challenging conditions.)

Last edited:
As noted in the other recent tire thread, I did bite the bullet and install a set. But I was unable to find any mention of anyone else trying them on an FJR (or ST1300, Concours, etc.). Most "reviews" are simply parroting Dunlop's marketing literature.

Among the few real-world reviews I found were:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2022/08/31/dunlop-mutant-tires-review-an-unorthodox-success/
https://ridermagazine.com/2022/06/07/dunlop-mutant-tires-gear-review/
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/dunlop-mutant-on-gs1200-1250gs.1466355/#post-42061675
For the sake of completeness, to recap what I've said in the other thread:

I'm very impressed with their feel and handling thus far -- bearing in mind that I have less than 2,000kms to date and have not yet ridden them in heavy rain. Basically, just enough to wear off all the casting nubs (there's a lot: the tires look like a Chia Pet when new). Cornering feel is light and neutral at all speeds, making the FJR almost flickable. Point and go compared to the constant input required of a R5.

No sign of head shake at any speed. I can lock the throttle, take my hands off the bars and adjust trajectory by shifting my weight (Keith Code is wrong: you can corner by leaning -- up to a point). Confidence inspiring from full-lock parking lot 180° turns to I won't say but pegs were folding in a curve on the freeway (to clarify: both extremes require handlebar input!).

I've had no loss of traction on damp or light sand. The road into my place is more cold-patch than the original tar-and-chip and while the Town gave the layer of winter sand a lick with a street sweeper last spring, their efforts were less than stellar and they don't seem to take an interest in the summer's accumulation of pine needles and erosion. Since the road hits all 4 cardinal points of the compass as it clambers over the terrain between a series of lakes, there is lots of opportunity to test the grip, but the real fun begins shortly, when the leaves begin to fall. Watch this space.

I did have an emergency stop the other evening when two deer jumped out in front of me exiting a curve on said road. I felt the front ABS kick twice, but I stopped well short of the forest rats.

A note to those that mount their own tires: The Mutant sidewalls are very stiff. I needed a series of c-clamps to hold the beads together when mounting the rear. One c-clamp mounting the front.

Oh! I almost forgot: Dunlop's marketing hype of this being a "Mud and Snow" tire? Yeah, maybe not so much:

Oh! I almost forgot: Dunlop's marketing hype of this being a "Mud and Snow" tire? Yeah, maybe not so much:

LOL. "Short Testride", indeed.
The sipes may be deep enough, but so narrow that they would immediately pack with snow (or mud). A big block knobby or even something like the Trailmax Mission would be preferable. Despite the fact that they also rate the TMM as a M+S tire, I am not anticipating that I will be testing the snow part of that anytime soon on my F700GS.

Let us just say I was not completely shocked by the test results. ;)

Personally for use in snow I prefer something with deeper lugs, studs and preferably attached to a 4wd truck.

It was pouring outside when I woke up this morning. It was the perfect opportunity to put the Mutants to the test, but the rain gear was in the saddlebag and it was 3 am so I said chuck it and went back to bed.

Fortunately it was still raining during business hours, so I geared up and headed into town. I was quite pleased with the results. I didn't take her right down to the pegs but had no issues in the corners despite the sprinkling of wet leaves deposited overnight. Maybe next time.

I did try some hard stops with no issues. The rear ABS kicked a couple of times, but one must expect that when most of the weight has shifted forward onto the front wheel. It didn't spin when I removed all weight completely from the front tire while accelerating to highway speed along the on-ramp.

I couldn't find any actual standing water on the highway, but it felt planted during aggressive lane changes through the track depressions. In town, I tried some heavy braking on the painted road surfaces with no ill effects -- although to be fair, the paint on town roads is worn rather threadbare. The only new paint I spotted was in an elementary school parking lot and I suspect they might take a dim view of test riding through the lot while school is in session -- Principals tend to have a very poor sense of humour about that sort of thing.

All in all, my impression is that the wet weather performance is on par with the R5's.

I was so close to ordering a set of them but chickened out. I was afraid of gravel out on the back roads. I went back to a tried and true combo( for me at least) of Battlax front and Dunlap Roadsmart 3 rear. I was used to the feel from my Gen1 (roadsmart 2) when I owned it and FZR1000 (roadsmart3)
. Wish I would have tried them but I know my combo will need to be changed in 6k miles. Thats about all I get out of the Battlax so I will give them a shot then

I'm not guided by price in tire choice. When I returned to riding after a 20 year absence (family) a trusted friend recommended the Michelin PR2 for my sport bike (VTR1000). The tire's performance was beyond my own. Then for "touring" I chose the PR3,4,5,6 for the FJR. I have always wondered about the real difference between sport and touring. Just returned from a 4800 mile trip (Mexico-Canada) and I rode the FJR to my limit. R6GT. 40/42. Stable at 110mph, cornering as hard as I dared. Long lasting tires? Who cares. BTW, my 4 riding buddies on the trip had car tires on their Gold Wings. Neither could I corner with them nor (choose to) keep up with their 90mph standard cruising speed. We had some great roads. That's a real world report on the car tires. They love them and push them real hard. I'm sticking with the Michelins.

Purchase price was never the issue for me either. I ran the Michelin PR (then just R) series for many years, primarily for the excellent wet weather performance. They are pricey, yes, but if you compare the mileage of the BT020 that came with the original FJR (~10,000km rear) to the mileage of the R5 (>20,000km rear) and correct for inflation (um, monetary inflation not tire inflation! <lol>) then the Michelins are actually reasonable value for the money.

But if the Mutants can really provide better grip on marginal road surfaces while equaling the R5/R6 wet weather performance then they are certainly worth considering -- for ME.

As for longevity of the tire, there are a couple of metrics to consider. The ultimate arbiter is of course the tread depth. But even before the wear bars are exposed, there are other factors coming into play. I prefer the handling and feel of the fresh new Mutant over the fresh new R5 and as the R5 wore (especially the front), cornering required greater handlebar input, but the R5 retained most of it's wet weather performance even when worn.

I wonder if the myriad tread blocks on the Mutant will accelerate cupping and wear. If the Mutant loses it's grip or handling advantage as it wears, then I may switch back.

Purchase price was never the issue for me either. I ran the Michelin PR (then just R) series for many years, primarily for the excellent wet weather performance. They are pricey, yes, but if you compare the mileage of the BT020 that came with the original FJR (~10,000km rear) to the mileage of the R5 (>20,000km rear) and correct for inflation (um, monetary inflation not tire inflation! <lol>) then the Michelins are actually reasonable value for the money.

But if the Mutants can really provide better grip on marginal road surfaces while equaling the R5/R6 wet weather performance then they are certainly worth considering -- for ME.

As for longevity of the tire, there are a couple of metrics to consider. The ultimate arbiter is of course the tread depth. But even before the wear bars are exposed, there are other factors coming into play. I prefer the handling and feel of the fresh new Mutant over the fresh new R5 and as the R5 wore (especially the front), cornering required greater handlebar input, but the R5 retained most of it's wet weather performance even when worn.

I wonder if the myriad tread blocks on the Mutant will accelerate cupping and wear. If the Mutant loses it's grip or handling advantage as it wears, then I may switch back.
That's interesting torch. That is the reason I got away from the Michelin PR's. At about 5,000 miles the handling deteriorated and did require more handlebar input. Countersteering. That's when I went to the Avon Storms. I would get 8 to 9 thousand miles out of them and the handling just lost a little toward the end of tire life. Great tires. Too bad they are gone now.

GP

(The Trailmax Missions are reputed to have exceptional lifetime, especially for a tire billed as a 70-30. Some have complained about poor wet traction, but I haven't found it to be an issue on the BMW. Haven't really pushed them under challenging conditions.)

Thanks for the video. I'm a huge fan of the Mission on my Super Tenere for street and gravel roads, put them to a good test in eastern Oregon both on the pavement and gravel roads a week ago. Wear is exceptional as in over 10k a set on the S-10, quite impressive with my heavy right wrist. Maybe riding to Alaska next summer and now thinking the Raid may be an even better tire for up that trip.

Just put on a set of mutants. They're black, they're round, and have a funky but cool look. I've tried most tires, pr3,4,5 angel gt,and my current favorite road smart 4s. Even a rear shinko once when I was stuck in Arkansas and that was all that was avail. (That one is free to anyone that wants it, has about 500 miles on it...I replaced it when I got home). Just did a long weekend from Hatfield pa to north central pa, up to Niagara falls and back one day, and then home. Mixed roads, almost all secondary, and usually at a "spirited" pace. Tires felt great. Most impressive was the ride home, over 5 hours in constant rain, heavy at times. After a short while I realized I was riding at almost the same speeds as if it was dry! Complete confidence without even thinking about it. I usually get 5k to 6k out of tires (I always replace as a set) if I get that out of these mutants, it will be my new tire of choice.

Just put on a set of mutants. They're black, they're round, and have a funky but cool look. I've tried most tires, pr3,4,5 angel gt,and my current favorite road smart 4s. Even a rear shinko once when I was stuck in Arkansas and that was all that was avail. (That one is free to anyone that wants it, has about 500 miles on it...I replaced it when I got home). Just did a long weekend from Hatfield pa to north central pa, up to Niagara falls and back one day, and then home. Mixed roads, almost all secondary, and usually at a "spirited" pace. Tires felt great. Most impressive was the ride home, over 5 hours in constant rain, heavy at times. After a short while I realized I was riding at almost the same speeds as if it was dry! Complete confidence without even thinking about it. I usually get 5k to 6k out of tires (I always replace as a set) if I get that out of these mutants, it will be my new tire of choice.
That right there is a finely written review. I will probably try them next set. Thanks