hi from pa

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BMW takes premium unleaded, FJR takes regular unleaded. That alone will save you in the long run.
Funny thing is I think my FJR actually runs smoother on premium gas, I know, I know, probably wrong but that is what I sense. Also in the fall when I put her to bed I always fill with premium with a bit of stabilizer tossed in.

As my avatar shows, I know the RT (I'm entering a hairpin on the way up the Stelvio pass road in the Alps), and I know the FJR. My previous bike was a BMW K1200RS. The change from BMW to Yamaha was forced on me (vandals got to the K1200). Short answer: I don't regret leaving the BMW world for the FJR. I could nit-pick details, but, going on five years later, I don't regret the change.

i dont usually make accounts for forums, but i made one here to download the comparison matrix for the FJRs so might as well say hi

i request an opinion. i dont have an FJR yet, I currently own and love a 2005 VFR800. I got it less than a year ago, and put about 22k miles on it. I think it might be time for a touring bike without a chain, lol. i might purchase a 2022 ES from my friend. i rode it down to TN with him and enjoyed it very much. i have some pics they took on the tail of the dragon if you like.

anyways, my question/opinion i want is im pretty much in between this 22 FJR and some kind of '15-17-ish BMW R1200RT. i imagine the bmw has a more modern dash, and a radio, and a single sided swingarm. while the FJR is a little lighter and might be a little faster (i like speed and hard cornering)

also, im a nugget of a person, only 5,8 and 170 lbs. I have trouble backing this bike up on basically any kind of grade. anyone else? what do people do to overcome this? i dont really wanna lower it since i already drag the center stand in turns...

all thoughts are greatly appreciated
Stick around. The other resources available (including the people) are worth the effort.

As my avatar shows, I know the RT (I'm entering a hairpin on the way up the Stelvio pass road in the Alps), and I know the FJR. My previous bike was a BMW K1200RS. The change from BMW to Yamaha was forced on me (vandals got to the K1200). Short answer: I don't regret leaving the BMW world for the FJR. I could nit-pick details, but, going on five years later, I don't regret the change.
That's good to know and you're a good person to know having experienced both bikes. I'd like to ask you then, noteworthy advantages of each? Was the BMW smoother and more stable? FJR easier to manage in parking lots? Just curious what your thoughts are.

Depending on the age of the RT, the "boxer shimmy" is a fact of life. Earlier bike... I demoed an early 2000's RT and couldn't deal with "riding on a sewing machine". BMW's managed to make most of that go away, but a boxer will always have a little boxer feel to it. The FJR has its little buzzy(?) spots. At speed... it's somewhere between a wash and maybe I like the FJR more, but then I own an FJR.

The programable RT suspension can be set to "marshmallow mode" (almost total suspension disconnect from the road). The FJR? Don't ask - not gonna happen(*). Otherwise, handling-wise, I took the RT here, I took a K1600 here (very, very dumb idea!), and I'd take the FJR here.

The RT user interface, with "the one one ring to bind them all", was a major PITA, and I still hate it. The FJR could be better, but a little acquired muscle memory does wonders.

Parking lots? IIRC the RT is a shade taller, which makes paddling a little more "interesting". Past that, really rolling, even if only about walking speed? I can't say one is better or worse.

IMHO, seeing "BMW" stamped on a part comes with a surcharge for those letters. Doesn't mean they're always better parts, though, just probably a lot more spendy. If spending a lot for parts feels good, or satisfies some need or worry, sobeit. Point being, "cost of ownership" is not a BMW strong point. Take a look at cost studies for police bikes, for example.

The stock Yamaha seat was designed by a person numb from the waist down, or who has serious hate issues. It's just not the best saddle I've ridden. I've sampled those wonders that look like they were stolen from something branded H-D. Try moving around on those saddles while seriously working twisties and... yep, "screen door on a submarine" useful. BMW did get this part closer to right.

(*) Why would I want "marshmallow mode"? Ever been on an Interstate with tar seams, at right angles to travel, every 15-20 yards, and you still have a bunch of miles to go? Marshmallow mode looks like a good idea about five bah-BAM's in...

Last edited:
This makes sense. This FJR I'm looking at has a sergeant seat and is pretty comfortable for a long time. Noted about the BMW Marshmello mode, there's a lot of times on the highway that that would be very nice. Especially up here in PA.... 81 around Harrisburg... which is part of my commute...

And well noted about the BMW boxer shimmy. I had no real idea that it was a thing. From what I understand after doing some googling, they vibrate from 4000-5000 rpm. It's probably not any more vibration than my 60k mile vfr800 has, but I would like my next bike to be smooth enough to see through the mirrors on the highway.

I just sampled I-81 near Scranton, and was reminded of why there's a bumper sticker reading "Pray for me - I drive I-81".

The '16 in the avatar wasn't a mirror-shaker. BMW's gotten pretty good with that. Two pistons going in opposite directions are kind of hard to totally smooth out. BMW managed to put the shimmy at the low end, and it's not as bad as the old "sewing machine" I tried. NTL there's just not enough there to tip me back to BMW. In the main, it was fun, glad I did it, but it was time to move on, so I did.

BTW, regarding the K1600, at really low speeds, it just doesn't have much grunt. I count myself lucky I didn't drop the bike in a hairpin. The FJR has grunt even when forced back to first and slow and pulling a grade (hairpins average 7% on the Stelvio road, and the road hits 14% in places away from the turns). The RT wound up a lot in first - "ride it like you stole it" worked on pass roads.

I can't recall my FJR mirrors ever blurring. And it doesn't have that RT ring. LOL

81 in PA is still not as bad as NY roads.... holy wow. Especially up around Buffalo/Niagara Falls...

Yes I do recall the FJR was very smooth. I really liked how smooth it was upon acceleration, and going between accel and decel. Mirrors were always visible. It also handled delightfully. I have not ridden a BMW yet. I'd like to but I don't know anyone with one and I don't wanna go to a dealership and ride a brand new one knowing I can't buy one lol.

If the FJR handles better than the BMWs then that's all I really need to know. The bells and whistles are nice, but balanced out by the additional costs anyways.

I'll probably hit up one of the BMW forums and see their side of the debate. But I do know most of the complaints about the vibration and shimmy are from BMW forums.

I'll suggest a slight shift on using handling as a decider - not so much "who handles best" as "who handles how you like it".

I've been on bikes that were supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. That's nice, but I didn't enjoy the bike - pass.

Yeah I suppose I should have clarified that I meant "best to me". "Best handling" is too subjective of a term. Some people would probably hate how our bigger touring/sport touring bikes handle compared to a ZX-6R or a SuperDuke R. I just like smoothness, ease of cornering, smooth throttle, and enough ground clearance to have a little fun. My next bike will frequently be asked to hold pace with my sport bike riding friends, and so far the FJR has shown to be able to with most of them. Not motoGP street Rossis or 180mph highway riders.

I'm reviving a dead thread, but it's my own so hopefully okay lol.

I'm not buying my friends '22 FJR, he figured out an issue that drove him nuts and is enjoying it a lot more now and I'm not even sure I could afford it. I am only 22 lol.

So, I'm buying a different FJR! A 2008, that black looks super cool. It's got 21k miles, seems maintained and clean. An older fellow is selling it. It's listed for $4400, we're going Saturday to pick it up. I'll send pics when I can, we're gonna have two FJRs in my group now lol

I think my only questions about this bike would be if it also has the side panels that can be re-positioned to protect your legs from the wind in the colder months. I ride year round. And on that note, how do they do with heated gear? I exploded the stator out of my VFR800 from running heated gear... Would like to know how these bikes handle maybe 100W of heated gear or so?

Thanks all!

The side panels can be moved out, but they don't make much difference.
Lots of stator capacity to run heated gear
Recommend heated grips and larger windshield for cold weather
Do some reading on grounding "spider" issues on '08. A fairly common problem but relatively easy to fix.
Check out cam chain tensioner to make sure it has the upgraded (blue dot or green dot) version.

Nice low-mileage bike for a decent price.

Have fun.

The side panels can be moved out, but they don't make much difference.
Lots of stator capacity to run heated gear
Recommend heated grips and larger windshield for cold weather
Do some reading on grounding "spider" issues on '08. A fairly common problem but relatively easy to fix.
Check out cam chain tensioner to make sure it has the upgraded (blue dot or green dot) version.

Nice low-mileage bike for a decent price.

Have fun.
Thanks for the info and tip. I did some reading, and basically my understanding is I need to go to one of the harnesses and re-do the grounds and solder them together? This isn't out of my skillset, but which one(s) should I do? I kindof see conflicting info...

Noted about the CCT. I'll check and make sure it's got a colored dot on it, since that seems to indicate it would be trouble free.

This bike does have heated grips, but they seem to be a foam variety. Perhaps the older fellow selling it had some kind of wrist/joint problems and the vibration caused problems. Either way, they will probably go if it's not too difficult or expensive to do.

My friend's FJR has one of the big VStream windshields and that is absolutely on the priority list. You could just sit there on the highway with your visor open eating a bag of chips. Not sure about seat yet though... If I ever even bother?

Thanks!

There were supplementary harnesses made by a couple of inmates here but they are no longer available.
The so-called S4 spider was the subject of a recall for 2006-09. You can check the VIN with Yamaha to see if it was done on your bike. This is the one most likely to cause an issue although there is one other ("S6", I believe) that has had some issues.
Read this about the recall
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2011/RCRIT-11V338-2345.pdf
Read the following thread that discusses another non="spider" ground issue. Thread also has a map of the electrical grounds.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/itsy-bitsy-spider.158418/
These aren't that difficult to fix if you run into a problem. A matter of diagnosing, finding it and modest soldering skills.

I didn't think that '08 came with heated grips except in the AE (auto clutch) version, but I may be mistaken (my '07 didn't but my 2011 did). They could be added with an OEM or aftermarket kit. The foam grips may be Grip Puppies foam covers with the regular grips underneath.

Everyone has a different tolerance level when it comes to seats. In the last 13 years, I have put close to 300,000 miles on two different Gen II FJRs with the stock seat. Some people whine if they had to ride across town without their Russell Daylong.

@an-guy, not sure exactly where in PA you're located but I'm about 10 minutes south of Harrisburg off I-83. I'm on my second FJR and have about 170k miles on them now so if you need some local help reach out and I'll see what I can do for you. Congrats on the new ride! Check out the EOM thread and maybe join a bunch of us in September in WV.

There were supplementary harnesses made by a couple of inmates here but they are no longer available.
The so-called S4 spider was the subject of a recall for 2006-09. You can check the VIN with Yamaha to see if it was done on your bike. This is the one most likely to cause an issue although there is one other ("S6", I believe) that has had some issues.
Read this about the recall
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2011/RCRIT-11V338-2345.pdf
Read the following thread that discusses another non="spider" ground issue. Thread also has a map of the electrical grounds.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/itsy-bitsy-spider.158418/
These aren't that difficult to fix if you run into a problem. A matter of diagnosing, finding it and modest soldering skills.

I didn't think that '08 came with heated grips except in the AE (auto clutch) version, but I may be mistaken (my '07 didn't but my 2011 did). They could be added with an OEM or aftermarket kit. The foam grips may be Grip Puppies foam covers with the regular grips underneath.

Everyone has a different tolerance level when it comes to seats. In the last 13 years, I have put close to 300,000 miles on two different Gen II FJRs with the stock seat. Some people whine if they had to ride across town without their Russell Daylong.
I have the VIN already actually. Do you know a place to check it online or should I go into a dealer?

That recall PDF is useful. I'll have to check the vin plate to see if it's been "punched"

It looks like if we have a two week or so period of sub 30 degree PA weather, I should grab the propane heater and go ahead and rebuild all of these spider grounds.

These heated grips aren't factory. I can see that little box that seemingly all older bikes with aftermarket heating come with. Hopefully I don't need to re-wire that too! It also has aftermarket lights. My local dealer has an 06 FJR, 50k miles, but they wanted $7000 for it! I was naively interested until the salesman tried starting it and it cranked once and not again (dead battery). I asked how long it had been sitting, he said a day.... It had another non OEM fuse box under the passenger seat, lights, a phone charger, heated gear controller... I was figuring I'd just go ahead and have to redo everything... But it couldn't even do a test ride. He charged the battery, then I got it down the street and stalled it and it again couldn't crank. The battery must have been totally shot. But, after that my friend looked on marketplace and found this 08 for $4400 listed the same morning. Going to get it Saturday, I am excited. So all is well!

About the seat. I'm not very big, so I don't *need* a crazy good seat. I've put maybe 25k on my VFR800, 400 miles / 9 hours a day was when I'd start getting uncomfortable. We'll have to see how I get along with this FJR's stock seat. It might not ever need upgrading with me on it.

Having put 300k on 2nd gen FJRs, how do you feel about the gearboxes? I've heard from my friend who went from his older automatic one to his new manual 6 speed one and he says the gearbox will be a little noisier, less smooth, and might rev a little higher on highways. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 7.31.56 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 7.31.56 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
@an-guy, not sure exactly where in PA you're located but I'm about 10 minutes south of Harrisburg off I-83. I'm on my second FJR and have about 170k miles on them now so if you need some local help reach out and I'll see what I can do for you. Congrats on the new ride! Check out the EOM thread and maybe join a bunch of us in September in WV.
Hey cool! I'm around Chambersburg, maybe someday we can have a triple FJR ride?

Sweet to hear about that EOM event. I'll try to go, and maybe see if my friend on the other FJR will come. WV has some excellent roads to ride

Hey cool! I'm around Chambersburg, maybe someday we can have a triple FJR ride?

Sweet to hear about that EOM event. I'll try to go, and maybe see if my friend on the other FJR will come. WV has some excellent roads to ride
There is a thread on here about EOM including reservation info, dates, etc. We typically have up to 70-80 FJRs show up including people from all over the US and some Canadians.

i dont usually make accounts for forums, but i made one here to download the comparison matrix for the FJRs so might as well say hi

i request an opinion. i dont have an FJR yet, I currently own and love a 2005 VFR800. I got it less than a year ago, and put about 22k miles on it. I think it might be time for a touring bike without a chain, lol. i might purchase a 2022 ES from my friend. i rode it down to TN with him and enjoyed it very much. i have some pics they took on the tail of the dragon if you like.

anyways, my question/opinion i want is im pretty much in between this 22 FJR and some kind of '15-17-ish BMW R1200RT. i imagine the bmw has a more modern dash, and a radio, and a single sided swingarm. while the FJR is a little lighter and might be a little faster (i like speed and hard cornering)

also, im a nugget of a person, only 5,8 and 170 lbs. I have trouble backing this bike up on basically any kind of grade. anyone else? what do people do to overcome this? i dont really wanna lower it since i already drag the center stand in turns...

all thoughts are greatly appreciated
Hi, are you going to keep the VFR800 when you move over to a FJR. At 75 yr old I'm thinking of easing off long rides and just ride shorter trips and thought I'd like a VFR. My 2007 FJR is the one with auto clutch with electronic shift (like a paddle shift on a sports car) I love this feature as the gear change at speed is great! Anyway if you're thinking of selling the VFR800 let me know I'd be interested. I'm just over the border near Niagara Falls Canada.