Airhawk or gel pad. Thats the question.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe nobody has posted, "That is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of the stock seat, or to take arms against a sea of monkey butt, and, by opposing, end it? The idea of whether is it better to live or to die."
Fixed it for ya.

I made a homemade foam pad to put under my sheepskin. It was made out of an excersize matt cut to shape. I currently am using it on the 08 bike for the daily commuter ride to work. Works out nice and I use to do 5 to 6 hundred mile days with this setup. The RDL is on the 2015 which is the best setup. Like you said it ain't cheap.

Dave

I made a homemade foam pad to put under my sheepskin. It was made out of an excersize matt cut to shape. I currently am using it on the 08 bike for the daily commuter ride to work. Works out nice and I use to do 5 to 6 hundred mile days with this setup. The RDL is on the 2015 which is the best setup. Like you said it ain't cheap.
Dave
The gel is out, and I was thinking along the same lines as what you did. I was thinking maybe a bit of Ensolite, or other sleeping pad from the outdoor store. I used to have a old chopped up Ensolite pad but cant find it now. I haven't back packed in a loooong time so I could probably just hack the full pad I have.

Might try that tomorrow.

The main issue with the gel, beside it not making the seat all that much better, is the way it shifts around. It's not moving on the seat, but the pad I have is thick enough that it's squishy. Wouldn't be a big deal cruising an interstate I guess, but it sucks on a twisty road.

I have the 14" x 14" Medium Cruiser Airhawk--it fits perfectly on the rider's seat (straps down firmly and does not move against the seat due to the slip resistant base) and I've used it on many long trips on both my previous '03 FJR and my current '16ES with great success to extend the riding day (use minimal air as others have suggested). That is, until I finally sprung for a Russell Day Long saddle a year ago and will never go back. My only complaint about the Airhawk is that you do tend to slosh around a little side-to-side in the twisties but you get used to it.

So there you have it. Everyone has a favorite way of seating. The reality of it is that no one else can give you advice about what will work for you. The relationship between your butt and your seat is yours alone. One person's pleasure is another person's poison.

When it comes to seating, the sad truth is that the only way to find out is to try something and if it doesn't work out, try something different.

I have an AirHawk, mostly used by my wife as a passenger. She likes it. I don't. Tried it at the beginning of what turned out to be a 940 mile day, and couldn't wait to remove it at my first stop after 200 miles. (And yes, I tried different air pressures). Made my rump wiggle around too much for my liking (at least on a motorcycle). Butt, (see what I did there?), they are cheap enough to be worth a try, before spending money on an aftermarket seat. Hope you find a solution.