Airhawk vs airhawk 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, ordered the small size according to the size chart on Air Hawks web site. Then ran across this post recommending the med. size, so will try it and hope it works for my small bottom end. If not maybe Cli-Max Gear will exchange for a medium, they had the best price I could find with free shipping.

Thanks guys, ordered the small size according to the size chart on Air Hawks web site. Then ran across this post recommending the med. size, so will try it and hope it works for my small bottom end. If not maybe Cli-Max Gear will exchange for a medium, they had the best price I could find with free shipping.
You might be ok with that small one if you're putting it on a stock seat. The medium fills my Corbin seat and that's a bit wider than stock.

I appreciate Iggy's comments...I suppose we each go down a path with farkles until we arrive at our final destination. ;) I haven't yet convinced myself that I want wings on my seat, but when I do, a Russell it will be.

Rode with rcpd807 who has a Russell I was begging for a break while he was leading the Cumberland loop. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Road today a short ride roads have been wet for the past few days. Went around some of my favorite neighborhood curves and felt the rear end sliding ,I thought. On the next curve it happened again then it hit me it was my ass shifting on the air in the hawk.Didn't another poster say it takes getting used to -the air shifting sensation?

it will take a few rides for you to get the right air pressure in the thing and also to get used to the slight movement you are feeling with it now. run your favorite route, stopping a few times to play with the air pressure.

i've noticed in the cooler months i have to add a slight more air than the warmer months.

cadman

Road today a short ride roads have been wet for the past few days. Went around some of my favorite neighborhood curves and felt the rear end sliding ,I thought. On the next curve it happened again then it hit me it was my ass shifting on the air in the hawk.Didn't another poster say it takes getting used to -the air shifting sensation?
you want the lowest point of your ass to be a fraction of an inch above the seat...

put the bike on the centerstand

my start is to blow up the pad with some air...place my left hand flat, palm down and slight press on the pad. I then let air out slowly with my right hand until my left hand touches the seat, but there's a doughnut of air in the space around my hand.

hop on and sit on the pad...you should should not feel like you are sitting on a balloon...or on anything at all...

it should feel like your butt is "in" the pad, not on it...very little movement felt, but still floating a fraction above the hard seat in a cushion of air

right now, on mine, if I press my flat hand's palm done smartly onto the middle of the pad, I can touch the seat with the middle of the pad even though there's a doughnut of air all around the outside. When I sit on the bike, none of my butt touches anything but the pad...my butt spreads out the air and the pad cradles my butt

right now, on mine, if I press my flat hand's palm done smartly onto the middle of the pad, I can touch the seat with the middle of the pad even though there's a doughnut of air all around the outside. When I sit on the bike, none of my butt touches anything but the pad...my butt spreads out the air and the pad cradles my butt
So eloquent.... ;)

+1 on what Mike says, doing the palm trick is the ticket. There's a distinct difference to be noticed when you have it right...kinda hard to explain, but when you get it right, you'll find yourself "in" the cushion and not on it. Adjusted right, your butt will never know you rode the bike...not kidding.

Good information from people in the know,thats why this forum is so valuable. Will give it a hand job ;) and test away thanks guys.

You can do hand jobs all day if you want...but it is still an imperfect solution...

No offense to those that love to do hand jobs...

so, the three products of assanine comfort are:

1) wider seat (Sargent, any from the Meyers family, gawd forbid-even Corbin)

2) Airhawk (except for a Russel)

3) LDComfort undies...shorts in summer...long tights in winter

:yahoo:

so, the three products of assanine comfort are:

1) wider seat (Sargent, any from the Meyers family, gawd forbid-even Corbin)

2) Airhawk (except for a Russel)

3) LDComfort undies...shorts in summer...long tights in winter

+1, I have a Sargent seat, but ordered the small cruiser Airhawk. I cover the whole thing with an Alaskan Buttpad. Upon doing more research I thought I may have made a mistake by ordering the small size Airhawk, but it actually works well. I've rode 700+ mile days in MUCH more comfort with this setup. Oh, and I do wear synthetic bicycle shorts under my textile pants, this also works well.

And I readily admit that, after all this I probably would be happier with a Russell and would bet that's where I'll end up, but this current combination is way better than stock. I do agree with Iggy that I woulda saved money and time by going straight from stock to Russell!

Anyway, it's tolerable for long trips now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the small Airhawk also, it looks kind of funny covering part of the rear stock seat but think it is worth the cost so far . :unsure:

I got the small Airhawk also, it looks kind of funny covering part of the rear stock seat but think it is worth the cost so far . :unsure:

Edit: Went for a ride today after adjusting and it made a big difference,before leaving I added air to my tire's they were both a few lb's low. 75 degrees and sunny today, a damn stink bug hit my helmet at 80mph >Splat and shoooweee !!

Am looking for a job so a Russel is out of the question. Living on my severance package untill maybe 2012. :rolleyes:

For 3 hour rides I don't bother with the Air Hawk (although butt hurts after a while).

For long rides I throw on the medium cruiser Air Hawk (no straps....don't stand up when moving!) and it dramatically improves long distance comfort.

I am still to cheap for a new saddle and this works quite well for the money.

Sent the small funny looking Airhawk back and ordered a medium and it looks like it was made for the stock seat. Airhawk needs to change there size chart from small to med for the FJR, without this forum I would have never known that the med is the one to get. :rolleyes:

I recently took my Medium Airhawk 2 seat from my BMW and transferred it to my now current bike Gen 1 FJR, but to be honest, I didn't like the seat on the BMW nor do I like it on the FJR.

I went ahead and sold it.

Strange as it seams, I can ride much longer with my stocker than when I ride with the Airhawk2. Ive tried the seat with very little next to no air or even filled up to where I was about 3/8 or more above the bike and I ran into the same problem.. (My boys always seemed crowded )

Just my experience and yours will vary.