Albuquerque to DC and Back

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AJ, I assume your riding buddies knew

what bike you rode and they are familiar with the FJR's capabilities with speed and long hauling? Obviously that old man questioning your tires was not!

Safe travels to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoying this RR a lot AJ. Keep them coming!
smile.png
+1

Just found this. Glad you're having fun -- at least mostly having fun. Any of your buddies considering trading in their Harleys for an FJR?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you can't complain about the weather here yesterday and today. It's been absolutely perfect riding weather. Hope you guys are enjoying it and hope you did get over into WV. That's about as fun as it gets around here.

So, where did Bob take you in WV?
Well, Heidi, I'm glad you asked. I'll get there in a minute.

So, after posting up last night, morning came fast. It came fast because I was up late, after the Vigil and the hard time on the train getting home. Part of the problem was the length of the Vigil. That was due to the 337 or so names of fallen officers read, including 220 from the last year. The other 117 were officers from, I'd swear 1887, who's names were never recognized as falling in the line of duty. However, now is where I get a little Soap-boxy, so of you don't want to read it, skip a paragraph or two.

220 men and women died last year, in this line of work. Some were accidental, like traffic crashes, but the vast majority were killed, simply because they wear a uniform. Last year holds the highest number of "ambush" deaths in over 20 years. Let's see, what would the American people do if 220 doctors, 220 students, 220 plumbers, 220 teachers, 220 lawyers, 220 engineers, 220 zoo keepers, 220 firefighters, or 220 of anyone else died, because they were doing their job? People would lose their minds, but not when 220 men and women who swore to protect and serve are shot, ambushed, beaten, and executed. Something is wrong with that picture. What's wrong with it, is only cops, soldiers and firefighter's know what it's like to kiss our families good bye, and know we may never come back. Not enough people are effected by the loss of a mother, father, brother, son, daughter, or whatever each of those people were. Shit is not right, and I hope we've turned the corner to fix it.

Anyway...I was up early, and Bob showed up a short time later. He told me where we were going, and I nodded and agreed, but had no idea what he was talking about. I just knew Bob would take us on a fun ride. Honest to God, I love that guy. He and I are very much alike, so we get among well. He's as funny as they come, and will do anything for someone else to help them.

We rode out and headed for WV. First place we hit good roads was the Shanandoah(sp) mountains. Dammit, I love these roads. Smooth, fast, banked, pretty, and almost empty. That was the first time I rubbed my boots on the ground in a while. My suspension and my new tires needed the work out.

Our first stop, after hitting the good roads was a lookout over WV. Dayum, it was pretty. It was a gorgeous day. I also finally took some phone pics that are easy to load to PhotoBucket, so I'll attach a couple here. Now, ladies, and RFH, please keep your panties on, and don't lose your minds with the amount of handsomeness in the following picture. I know it's hard, but resist the urge to leave everything you know and try to come find us.

PART95149479047727995Resized952017051495120724.jpg

And the overlook:

20170514_120706.jpg

In all seriousness, that first picture is a special kind of ugly, right? Poor us!!

After that stop we took off, around the corner and just had a blast. We rode hard until we got to Seneca Rocks. We ate at the upstairs restaurant at Yokum's Store and Hotel. They have GREAT food. We were hungry, but that food was really good. That was a good lunch, just laughing. I taught Bob why men don't use straws. If you don't know, you'll have to wait until you see me, or him. Lol...

After lunch, we left and passed the Smoke Hole Caverns, which boast WV's largest gift shop. It looked big, but we didn't stop. Bob was excited to get to Smoke Hole Rd, and this is why Luvtoride is asking about where we went. Apparently she showed him that road. What a find!! Basically a gravel road that someone was nice enough to pave. Twisty, smooth for the first few miles, covered with trees, and a shit-load of fun. THAT was the reason I rode my FJR from Albuquerque.

We rode some more, including Howard's Lick Rd, which was very much like Smoke Hole. Super fun:

20170514_162852.jpg

I have a couple road pictures but they are on the camera. I didn't have time to take off my gloves, open my bag, manipulate my phone and take a cell pic, while riding. I would have crashed. Sorry!

We ended up riding to Fort Royal where we stopped to BS and say goodbye. He was heading home, and I was heading back to where I was staying. We were treated to some awesome Mexican music, blaring from some girl's car, and we were thankful we got to hear it. Ok, maybe not.

After we BS'd for a while, we said goodbye and took off, him to the right, and me to the left. I hit some traffic, but traffic on a freeway, while I'm on this bike is nothing. I blazed back to base, and was home by 7:30. We rode for about 10 hours and I put 390 miles on the clock. What a day!! Thanks Bob, and thanks Heidi for helping him out with his routing!

Great RR AJ.

Get up on your soapbox all you want, you guys deserve it. I have seen what you guys have to deal with up close and I guarantee that each and everyone of you are underpaid. I appreciate each and everyone of you, even the guy that pulled me over at NAFO. Thanks for doing the job that you do.

Make sure that the next time you have to pull into the Harley repair shop to remind your buddy (from a safe distance) this it is indeed a "lifestyle"

Day 7:

Day 7 was early also. This is total BS. I'm supposed to be on vacation. HA! I've only ever been on one vacation where I was rested when we got home. This will not be one of those trips. I'm gonna need a day or two to catch up.

On Saturday night they had the Candlelight Vigil, but May 15 is actually set aside as Law Enforcement Memorial Day. That happened back in 1962. I had no idea, until this trip. Because Monday was the 15th, the Memorial service was scheduled for 1100-1400 on the west lawn of the Capitol. Paul and I didn't want to be late, and after Saturday's shenanigans on the train, we left at 0800.

The train ran smooth as silk. I'll say this, if the trains are running correctly, they work very well. If they are broken, they are totally FUBAR! We got on and sat down, and a Dallas Police office named Phyllis got on with her daughter and sat behind me. I was not in uniform. I wore a button down shirt and jeans, with my badge and gun concealed. Paul was in uniform, as he had spent $55 to have it shipped. I'm way too cheap (frugal) for that. I mention the uniform, because it will come up later. Nothing bad. Lol.

So, Phyllis started talking to me, and turns out she started her job about 3 weeks before I started mine. She had stayed with her daughter who lives in Herndon and works in DC. We laughed, because her daughter said she never takes the train, because she has parking. I'm not sure why she didn't drive that morning also.

Anyway, Phyllis is part of Dallas PD's choir. I heard them sing on Saturday. They're GOOD!! We talked about our work and the differences between our departments. Turns out, we have many of the same issues. She was a very nice lady, and I'm glad I met her. We hung out until we reached our stop.

I think we were getting off the train a little after 0830. What a difference from Saturday. Ha! We followed the sea of cops to the entrance to the service. That place was well manned. They wanted credentials and a second form of ID from everyone who was armed. If someone was not armed, they had to have an affiliation they could prove. When I got to the table, I gave the guy my stuff and he told me I only needed it if I was armed. I'm usually very quiet about carrying, but I didn't want any issues, so I confirmed I was carrying. He looked me over, trying to find my gun, but wasn't having any luck. Then he let me through. I think he thought I keystered it. Next was a series of metal detectors, like at the airport. Magnatometers or some big word. Anyway, if people claimed they were unarmed, they had to be scanned. If we claimed our weapon, we had another line. Now is when I'm glad I fessed up when they asked, because I would have looked like a sheepish asshole if I had lied, and then had to come clean for the detectors.

Once we were in, we found a good spot and waited. We talked to cops from places I didn't know existed. It was cool!! Our other two guys showed up, so we all hung out to watch. The first thing they did was walk the families of the fallen officers into the venue and to their seats. That took a long time, because there were 200+ of them. The presentation of colors was very well done, as were the introductory statements. We heard from the Vice-president, and then President Trump, who was the keynote speaker. He gave a great speech, and called the families of a few of the officers by name. All politics and BS aside, he did a good job. His way of speaking makes me laugh, but he seemed sincere and was well accepted. I think it was super cool of him to make the time to be the event's speaker. Not all have done so, but that could also be timing issues, so no smack talk from me. This is neither the time nor the place.

After the keynote address, they were going to read the names of last year's fallen again. Personally, if I had lost a family member, I'd appreciate that. However, it was getting hot, we were getting hungry, we had to do some walking, and we needed to get on to the bikes. So, after they read the names of the men from NM, we left. It was a weird event. Somber for sure, but cops from all over meeting, talking, joking, and making friends. That was COOL. I'm thinking I should bring my daughters next year. DC would be a good trip for them.

We left, went to the Memorial Store, to get stuff to take home and then jumped back on the train. That was flawless again, and were where we belonged quickly. As we were walking towards the parking garage, I remembered I had a partially used train card in my pocket. It only had like $4 left on it, but I didn't want to throw it away, so I turned to give it to whoever was closest to me. I turned to see a beautiful girl walking a couple steps behind me. She was probably checking me out, but I interrupted her when I asked her if she could use my card. She was supremely grateful, especially when Paul gave her his also. I was basking in her hotness, when she stopped to light a cigarette. Oh well. I think I miss my pretty wife!

We went back to the house and packed up. After saying goodbye to Paul's step-mom, we took off to meet the other guys. We finally ate something, and then hit the road, headed for Wytheville. NOW, is when the DC traffic reared it's ugly head. It was about 4:30, so rush-hour was in full swing. If I would have been alone, or maybe just two of us, I would have burned past all those cars, but with 4 of us, and two, relatively inexperienced riders, that was out of the question. However, after about 20 minutes of clutch-hand exercises, we got onto 66, which had an empty HOV lane. We got into that lane and hauled ass!

It was an eventless ride. I was trying not to fall asleep, and we droned on for a couple hundred miles. We finally got to our hotel at about 9:30 PM. The desk girl recommended the resturant next door, but warned they closed at 10, so we needed to hurry. We decided to wait to unpack, and were going to walk over, but it was too far for that. Too close to really ride to, but too far to walk, so I put my helmet on my head and my gloves in my tank bag and we rode over. We got into the parking lot and the guys nearly parked in the handicapped spots. As they realized their mistake and moved, I went to move with them, and then, it almost happened. My bike was in second gear, and I clutched it like it was in first. The bike lurched forward and immediately died. I ended up nearly running with an FJR between my legs, and somehow saved it. Don't know how, but somehow I kept from dropping it. Tired, hungry, and tired almost cost me. That would have sucked!

Thankfully, no bikes went down, we had a good dinner, and I got some good sleep. Nit much sleep, but good sleep!

10 of those you memorialized were killed in the line of duty from my State last year, including one K-9 4-legged officer.

4 from gunfire

2 in an automobile crash

2 hit intentionally by a vehicle (assault)

1 struck by a vehicle (accident)

1 heat exhaustion (Dog left in a vehicle)

I'm not special. Many (TOO MANY) were killed in EVERY state last year.

This is ridiculous. Unimaginable.