altitude sickness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CODan

Reaction score
Some small percentage of people will have significant problems at altitude, I think it's around 10%

Golden is around 5,200 feet, and typically that altitude won't cause problems. But some of the riding could be to 11,000 feet. and may cause pretty serious problems.

Wikipedia: altitude sickness

It isn't a joke and you can't just tough it out.

If you are coming from the lowlands and don't know how you will react, it's best to be cautious. Do some reading to prepare.

When I was a kid (17 and pretty fit) I came from TN to Pueblo, CO (lower than Golden) then drove up Pikes Peak (14,000+). I could not drive down, I was barely conscious after 10 minutes at the top - seriously. My mother had to drive me down.

Last edited by a moderator:
And don't sweat the Golden part if you were in Park City last year...it was 1700 feet higher at 6900'. Day rides higher probably won't mess with 'ya, but fair enough notice.

Carbs, baby. Consume lots-o-carbs, don't booze it up too much :( and suck down boat loads of water.
So in other words, drink lots of beer 'cause beer has both carbs and water (some even has Rocky Mountain Spring Water, no less!) And remember: beer isn't booze. Booze is booze. ;)

Altitude Sickness: The horrible feeling you get when you realize you're coming up waaay short on a big double.. :blink:

Attitude Sickness??????

Don't worry these Guy's won't have any problems.

They've all got sick Attitudes

Oh,,, ALTITUDE,,, Sorry.....

drink lots of water [at least 3 liter per day for the travel in & first day]; Note: Water NOT Beer, those that have the issue are better in 24 hours with lots of water.

It not so bad, just remember that for most visitors the prior water they have had in their lives was downhill from we hillbilly's using it first! Think catch and release! :)

If someone is really worried about this, there is a medicine that can HELP with altitude sickness. I forget the name, but I know it is also given to people with diabetes. I took some while mountain climbing down in Ecuador and it seamed to help some. We were just over 20K feet, so anything that could help was tried.

If someone is really worried about this, there is a medicine that can HELP with altitude sickness. I forget the name, but I know it is also given to people with diabetes. I took some while mountain climbing down in Ecuador and it seamed to help some. We were just over 20K feet, so anything that could help was tried.
coca leaves? :p

Don't they grow those down in Roseburg? ;)

Don't they grow those down in Roseburg? ;)
No, they grow coca leave huggers in Roseburg... :p

Interesting about the altitude sickness. I'll just have to pick up the pace on the SS1K when I go thru the tall parts of the map. ;)

every year, we go from 25 feet (literally) above sea level in Houston to 10,000 feet in Colorado skiing so talk about a big change.

I read this in an airline magazine and this is the best thing I have found to prevent or alleviate the effects of altitude: Starting the day before you get to altitude, take one aspirin four times a day (along with plenty of water) and continue taking while at altitude. It thins your blood and greatly decreases the effects.

Now I know some of you are going to say "well, its really the plenty of water that does it" but that alone did not do it for my wife and family until we added the aspirin.

Notice I said "prevent or alleviate the effects of altitude" and not prevent altitude sickness - for true altitude sickness there is only one cure - get on bottle oxygen and go back down to a lower altitude.

i have never been to the Rockies, but i have been all over the Alps. never had any problems there so should i be too concerned at NAFO???

As indicated above, most folks will not have any problems. Perhaps a little headache, but key is to drink lots of

[SIZE=36pt]WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER[/SIZE]

And the water drinking should start before one arrives at NAFO -- don't get dehydrated on the way here or you will be more susceptible to altitude sickness.

I read somewhere, it seems, that susceptibility to the effects of altitude has something to do with the size of the capillaries in your head or brain. (Something like that??) It's more genetic than anything else, and you can have a fit man suffer while a less fit one doesn't. I lived for a lot of years above 6300 feet, while regularly spending time skiing, backpacking, mountain biking, etc. well above that and never have had the slightest problem. My dad was a ski patrolman and into ski mountaineering, the whole family skied, and so far as I am aware, none of us have ever suffered. But I have sure seen it.

Probably the worst was in '99 backpacking in over Bishop Pass with my ex and a friend (Dave), the three of us supplying another friend who was backpacking the 224 mile long Muir Trail. Bishop Pass goes over the top at 13,000 feet, and I was having a stroll in the park, even with a nearly 60 lb pack full of extra food in a double size bear barrel I haven't had to use since. My ex and Dave were another story, though. Both were flushed and suffering from severe headaches, having to stop every hundred yards or so. Several days later, going out the same way, my ex was in tears. She was fine at 9,000 feet, but above that -- not good, but we had little choice but to go back over that pass. Fortunately, I've never seen nor experienced true "altitude sickness", which usually occurs at even higher elevations -- that is much more severe, requiring oxygen and lower elevations immediately -- and I don't know if there's a correlation between people who suffer adverse effects from altitude being more susceptible to altitude sickness, but I would GUESS they are.

So, unless you've been at high altitude a bit and know, it's kinda hard to predict whether you might be susceptible. If my recall is close to accurate about larger capillaries making you less susceptible, then the aspirin (as a blood thinner) in small but regular doses, and water, too, would also seem to be consistent.

Just my 2 cents for what little it's worth.

This is interesting reading..... I don't know whether it will affect me. I have been up some high mountain ranges in the east but I think they were no higher than about 6,000feet.

Didn't feel any affects then.

I like the water idea and because I am travelling across the plains where it might be hot and dry I could sure use some water as I ride......

Oh wait..... I did order a Hydration unit from Skyway

.......oh, darn..... forget that idea..... I ordered it the same time as my fuel cell.... Maybe I could stop on my way at aerostitch......then I could buy a camel pack.

One note of caution, it has been suggested people take regular aspirin doses of 4 times a day (? 325mg per dose) for days. I would speak with your doctor/provider before doing this, especially if you have a history of bleeding disorders, ulcers or are on certain medications.

Latest posts