altitude sickness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shit people, C'MON, just get the new ECU installed free of charge from Yamaha, and you will have no altitude sickness!

:blink:

Been skiing in many different CO and NM places, spent weeks at work sites in higher elevations and up Pike's Peek and it didn't do much to me other than an occasional need to slow down and catch my breath when wandering around.

Couple of years later, a week-long trip to Denver (much lower elevation than some of the others mentioned) had me heading back to my room every chance I had because of the altitude.

Time, age, health all play a factor. "Go with the flow" and listen to your body when it's talking to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
One note of caution, it has been suggested people take regular aspirin doses of 4 times a day (? 325mg per dose) for days. I would speak with your doctor/provider before doing this, especially if you have a history of bleeding disorders, ulcers or are on certain medications.
Good point.

However, if you are in good health and not taking other blood thinners, four aspirin over a twenty four hour period is not usually a problem.

If in doubt - check with your doctor first.

Although I'm in Alabama, I work on the fourth floor, so I'm used to higher elevations. I don't know how the guys on six handle it.

Altitude sickness, easy cure. Everyone I worked with who got it just went to a lower altitude, say from 10000 feet to about 6000 feet, spent a couple of hours, got something to eat, went back up and never had further problems. As for me, I come from Laramie, 7200 feet, and only have trouble at sea level.

Altitude sickness, easy cure. Everyone I worked with who got it just went to a lower altitude, say from 10000 feet to about 6000 feet, spent a couple of hours, got something to eat, went back up and never had further problems. As for me, I come from Laramie, 7200 feet, and only have trouble at sea level.
Hey -- love your signature, because in the last few years, I've become a Salomon ski convert -- I'm either on my 2003 187cm Salomon X-Scream Series (best all round ski I've ever owned) or 2005 185 cm Salomon Pilot 10 Hots (good all around, but a better powder and spring slop ski).

Hey -- love your signature, because in the last few years, I've become a Salomon ski convert -- I'm either on my 2003 187cm Salomon X-Scream Series (best all round ski I've ever owned) or 2005 185 cm Salomon Pilot 10 Hots (good all around, but a better powder and spring slop ski).

Salomon Axendo 9's 187cm here plus at least a half dozen other old favorites. 9's are OK in slop and chop, and crud in the trees but not a great powder ski.

One of my all time favorites for powder was a ski made by Bob Burns in the Salt Lake area back in the 70's, I think he called it The Ski or something unusual like that. Another was a very bright yellow ski with a hexagonal core that I can't remember the name. The Dynastar Omesoft came close but... Now with the wide skis, all the work is gone. Isn't progress great!

Sorry for the hijack!!!!

Been skiing in many different CO and NM places, spent weeks at work sites in higher elevations and up Pike's Peek and it didn't do much to me other than an occasional need to slow down and catch my breath when wandering around.
Couple of years later, a week-long trip to Denver had me heading back to my room every chance I had because of the altitude.

Time, age, health all play a factor. "Go with the flow" and listen to your body when it's talking to you.

Very good point!!! I used to go from a couple hundred feet in Portland to 9K on top of Mt Bachelor in just a few hours and never had a problem. Now I live at 4250 feet and still don’t anticipate a problem….. I always stay well hydrated and listen to my body…. most of the time anyway…

or 2005 185 cm Salomon Pilot 10 Hots
The Scream 8 is the same as the Pilot 10 hots (one pepper) but softer flex. I'm on 165s.

But back on topic, a good day skiing the chutes at Snowbasin (see my Avatar) is the best cure for attitude sickness I can think of.

Has the Front Range been getting pounded with Snow the way we have here along the Wasatch? Be interesting to make a couple of turns at Copper Mountain on the way to NAFO. Anybody make ski racks for the feejer?

Has the Front Range been getting pounded with Snow the way we have here along the Wasatch? Be interesting to make a couple of turns at Copper Mountain on the way to NAFO. Anybody make ski racks for the feejer?
Central and North are at about average snow year to date [90 to 110%], so not likely at Cooper. One could take the beaters and ski St Marys or Loveland Pass [both are self serve/out of area skiing] in July.

Southern water sheds are getting hit hard [125 to 200%] of normal, so maybe Wolf Creek in July!

NW- OR & Wash Cascades have been getting hit heavy this year also…. 125 – 200% and the worst avalanche conditions in two decades……

Salomon Axendo 9's 187cm here plus at least a half dozen other old favorites. 9's are OK in slop and chop, and crud in the trees but not a great powder ski.
One of my all time favorites for powder was a ski made by Bob Burns in the Salt Lake area back in the 70's, I think he called it The Ski or something unusual like that. Another was a very bright yellow ski with a hexagonal core that I can't remember the name. The Dynastar Omesoft came close but... Now with the wide skis, all the work is gone. Isn't progress great!
Yep -- it was "The Ski" that Burns made. Depending on the year, they were white, blue, yellow and I think even black, but each pair was usually made up of two different colors, like a white and a blue one for a particular year. Guy I used to ski with had a sponsorship from "The Ski", Spademan bindings and Scott boots. I worked with his room mate as a painter and taper in the summer, which is kinda how I fell in with a group of about 15 bump skiers at Steamboat back in '76-'78. My co-worker's room mate was Jack Taylor -- hard to find much on him nowadays, but from '73 to '78 he was the world mogul champion 5 years running (IFSA and PFA were the sanctioning bodies then). Known as "Little Jack" and a 5'5" tall ex-racer from Maine, he was probably the best all around skier I have ever skied with, and . . . [well shit -- looks like I've extended the hijack from your The Ski comment].

BTW, the only hex cores I know of were made by Hexcel and by Century -- both aluminum honeycomb (aircraft technology) cores. Back in those days, most truly serious bump skiers were skiing on a shorter (185 - 195cm) soft slalom ski, and not on the wide swivel skis of those days (not to be confused with the wider waisted shaped skis of today) marketed as bump skis. The Ski was such a ski, and Century and Hexcel made them also. The Dynastar Omeglas was also a good torsionally rigid, but softer slalom ski. I was mostly on K2s back then -- Comp, Winterheat, 544 (??), 610, 710.

Well shoot...

I admit, I got this one.

Not a good feeling I tell you.

If/when I do go to NAFO, will definitely not be riding solo the way there and back.