Ambient air temp sensor location?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those FJRs which have a numeric temp readout for the coolant one might compare this reading with the air temp reading after the bike has been idle overnight and reached ambient temp.

Using one high quality air temp sensor makes sense. The computer might tweak the temp up a bit for engine control since the intake air might be a bit warmer with the mix of radiator heated air.

Coolant temp indicates Lo and ambient reads current ambient temp. So they can't be compared when both are at an ambient temperature.

June through August in Texas mine just says "HOT" all the friggin time.

biggrin.png

My Gen II FZ1 does (only starts to show after 100F)..

My ambient sensor is pretty accurate, except as noted - when parked, engine hot, in sun, etc.

Wonder if there's a way to adjust it, though?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it's probably pretty accurate when parked. It's measuring the ambient temperature around the sensor, which is a bunch of trapped hot air under black plastic sitting in the sun. It is accurate for the air it is measuring. Once moving it flushes that out and replaces with fresher less hot air (notice I didn't say cooler) and gives you a more accurate temperature of your environment.

Yeah.. no cooler air here for a while either! lol..

One bike (ZX14R I think?) has "Outdoors" displayed next to the ambient temp. My question is - how does it know, and does it change to "indoors" if you take it, well, indoors??