AMSOIL usage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedFreak

Reaction score
I have been reading up on the AMSOIL "Marketing Material". And the stuff sounds logical in the white paper they publish.

Just curious if anyone can provide some real-world feedback on their oil products.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just a load of "moichendising".

Good products, but then there are many equally good products at a fraction of the price and much more available.

I've been using their stuff for years in my personal stuff around the house, including my motorcycles, but not because I think it is vastly superior or anything like that.

Nope, I joined their "Preferred Customer" program, which allows you to buy anything they got for dealer cost. They handle all sorts of things, too... Not just lubricants and other chemicals - Bosch plugs and wipers, all sorts of filters, too. In fact, I use their oil filters on my bikes and my personal car, and according to some independent testing and evaluation their oil filters are among the very best, and usually cheaper than the factory filters.

Buying through the "Preferred Customer" allows me to make large *stock* orders for my garage and have 'em dropped at my door. Since Amsoil has a company warehouse in Dallas it never takes more than three days to get here, either. I usually save enough on the first order each year to more than cover the cost of joining the "Preferred" program, and I usually make 4 to 5 large orders a year. Amsoil runs in my lawn mower, trimmer and other power lawn gear, ran in my dirt bikes, runs in my Suburban and in my BMW and Yamaha, among all sorts of other things... Like I buy their multi-purpose spray lube to use all around the house, from lubing squeaky hinges to cleaning guns. I use their suspension fluids, use their chain lube on my chain-driven motorcycles and my bicycles, their vinyl protectant in place of Armor-All, and on and on. For me it's really more of a convenience thing - shop from home and have it delivered, no hassle.

Now, all that said... If I didn't use the Amsoil I would be running Mobil 1 synthetics in everything. It's that good, and was what Ilmor Engineering, Cosworth Engineering, TWR, and Speedway Engines wanted you run in the engines we sourced from each for our race cars, period.

If I'm on the road and don't have any spare Amsoil with me and I need a bit of oil, etc., I buy some Mobil 1.

Dallara

Hey, speed...it's good stuff. Made a run from madison, wisconson to minneapolis in my suburban.....she leaked like a stuck pig. On the turns on the highway the low oil pressure light would light up...she got me back....no probs. I run it in everything I got. There are other oils out there that are just as good.....I just never had a prob with amsoil.

OK, who's the person changing oil every 10,000 miles? Fess up.

Calling all Jestal, calling all Jestal....

Fook. Just shoot me now...

+1, though it pains me to no end to agree with gerbil boy.

Why pay the high $$$$ when there are oils that work just as well at a fraction of the cost.

Marketing, marketing, marketing.....................where's the independent testing?

AMSOIL. Proof positive that there IS one born every minute.

amway.jpg

AMSOIL. Proof positive that there IS one born every minute.

I thought that was "AEROSTICH. Proof positive that there IS one born every minute"...

I mean really - $767.00 for a NYLON jumpsuit with some extra zippers. Now THAT's marketing!!! :blink:

Dallara

ps - For those interested in motorcycle oil comparisons, you might want to look at this - Motorcycle Oil White Paper - and notice that Amsoil didn't win all the tests, or even most of them, but it was up in the top three or four in almost all the tests. See how your oil did, and please read the part about the methodology and certification of the tests.

Your poll won't accept my vote because I don't use Amsoil and there is no option for how often I change my oil without implying I had Amsoil in the first place. Looks an awful lot like an intentionally skewed survey, which is what I would expect from AMSOIL. Don't use it, wouldn't use it even if it were less expensive than the stuff I use. Reminds me of CUTCO knives.

Your poll won't accept my vote because I don't use Amsoil and there is no option for how often I change my oil without implying I had Amsoil in the first place. Looks an awful lot like an intentionally skewed survey, which is what I would expect from AMSOIL. Don't use it, wouldn't use it even if it were less expensive than the stuff I use. Reminds me of CUTCO knives.

You are correct. It Is a skewed poll. I was really only interested in AMSOIL feedback. I was not trying to get into an OIL debate nor a Jestal regurgitation.

Just looking for honest feedback about a specific product yea or nea.

ps - For those interested in motorcycle oil comparisons, you might want to look at this - Motorcycle Oil White Paper - and notice that Amsoil didn't win all the tests, or even most of them, but it was up in the top three or four in almost all the tests. See how your oil did, and please read the part about the methodology and certification of the tests.
Thats all really grate and all, but meeningless except for roket sientissts. Mobil1 gives me Busa like horsies which complements my madd sKilz and kat like reflExorz :assassin:

Great :yahoo: an oil debate!!! So what do the FJR experts say about Shell Rotela T sync? Got to say its cheap.... 12-15 a gallon at Wal-Mart. Mobile 1 is 20-25 a gallon. But hey its only oil for my 15,000.00 motorcycle, I don't want what's cheap, I want what's best for the engine. So, what should I use??? If it ever stops raining here in Ohio I may get more than 90 miles on my 06 and need an oil change. <_<

Great :yahoo: an oil debate!!! So what do the FJR experts say about Shell Rotela T sync? Got to say its cheap.... 12-15 a gallon at Wal-Mart. Mobile 1 is 20-25 a gallon. But hey its only oil for my 15,000.00 motorcycle, I don't want what's cheap, I want what's best for the engine. So, what should I use??? If it ever stops raining here in Ohio I may get more than 90 miles on my 06 and need an oil change. <_<
Read.

Then get back to us.

So far, my 05 hasn't needed any new oil. I check the sight-glass every week or so, and it's still full. Not sure how you guys get through a tank full in 3K miles.

+1, though it pains me to no end to agree with gerbil boy.
Might I suggest removing that oak tree from your ass, then? That and a trip to your local spa for some cleansing high colonic enemas should make you feel better by morning. ;)