angel ST update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My biggest reason I won't go with the PRII's again - the rear gets pretty squirmy under hard/emergency braking. I have never had so many "oh shit" moments with the rear wheel losing traction under braking as I have since mounting those tires. I shouldn't have to think about the rear brake as much as I do now. Also, they're not bad but never could feel the same trust in them as I did with the Dunlops. The Angel front w/ RS rear has me very curious.

...the rear tire cups The tires had lots of tread left, but the rear was cupping so bad I thought it would be unsafe at warp speed corners. The vibes I was feeling was the rear tire on and off the road because of the cupping. That can't be good for traction.
Isn't that (partially, at least?) a function of not enough damping set in the suspension unit (shock absorber)? :unsure:

IOW, when there's not enough damping set-in (or, a worn-out suspension unit -- no hydraulic damping) the tire is allowed to 'bounce' on the road and develop those imperfections/wear areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
That may be partially true, but I've seen too many PRII's with the same cupping as mine, and I don't seem to have this with other tires. So I think it may have more to do with tread design and compound.

If I was going to ride a lot of slab, wanted a lot of mileage, and didn't ride aggressive in the corners, then the PRII would be my tire of choice. But I do the exact opposite so it doesn't work for me.

Tires may be like seats, as to, what works for me may not work for you.

I'm no expert, just my .02 cents

at 9,200 miles was on my third set of tires,we wont go therehave about 3,220 on the new angels ,and am very impressed with wear, just barely starting to cup,but still many miles left on tires,am guessing close to at least another 2,00 miles,and that will be great,am running 42 psi front and rear and seems to have pleanty of grip,will post update on final mileage :clapping:

just came back from my 2nd trip, now have 5,200 miles on angels, still have a lot of tread left, slight cupping, will guess I'll get about 7k or better out of them,note since I got these tires we have slowed way down on speed and carving corners, I didnt know all that scenery was out there avge speeds on two lanes were 55 to 65, one long 460 mile trip on freeway from portland ,oregon to boise ,Idaho, 460 miles, running 65 to 75 mph, 5th gear at 3,800 rpm, got 54.9 mpg on premium ,thought my computer was bad, but at end of trip, we went 1,665 miles on 29.9 gals fiure it out fantasyic mpg, and we actually saw something besides the apex on the next corner, just had one relapse when we got passed by some harleys , so we went by them at 150 mph just to get it out of our systeme,i think a lot of the mpg was those new iridium plugs I put in, with the great instructions from this site, OKAY I'am done NOW you cand all PILE ON !

oh by the way I now have 14k on the fjr and am really starting to love her,would never own another non abs bike

one more time, in Idaho we came accross a sign showing the squigilly cuvre sign and it said curves next 99 miles and we did carve those

I'm currently running Angel front/Roadsmart rear combo. I'm no expert, but they seem to be good so far. I'll know more after a few thousand miles.

Of course, if I like them then it seems they wont be made anymore. <_<
I'm running the same combo and am well pleased.

at 9,200 miles was on my third set of tires,we wont go therehave about 3,220 on the new angels ,and am very impressed with wear, just barely starting to cup,but still many miles left on tires,am guessing close to at least another 2,00 miles,and that will be great,am running 42 psi front and rear and seems to have pleanty of grip,will post update on final mileage :clapping:
Just installed my third set of PR 2's! I had 17,000kms on my first set! I just replaced my second set at 12,000kms with kms still left in them but as I am leaving for a 20,000 mile trip around North America I thought I should start off on a new set of tires? This time around I balanced my rims without the tires mounted and simply installed the tires and will see how close the tires are for not having a "Dot" for additional balancing? Does that make sense? It does to me! My tire experience started with the factory installed Bridgestone 021's with the front tire letting go at about 2200 kms? Some on this forum have had similar experience and I think Yamaha should step up but? As I am about to leave on such a long trip I will begin to seek out the Michelin tires when I get close to needing a new set? I leave on Aug 3/10 for Newfoundland from British Columbia and then south and west into the US; I can't wait to get going!

Mark

Just installed my third set of PR 2's! I had 17,000kms on my first set! I just replaced my second set at 12,000kms with kms still left in them but as I am leaving for a 20,000 mile trip around North America I thought I should start off on a new set of tires? This time around I balanced my rims without the tires mounted and simply installed the tires and will see how close the tires are for not having a "Dot" for additional balancing? Does that make sense? It does to me! My tire experience started with the factory installed Bridgestone 021's with the front tire letting go at about 2200 kms? Some on this forum have had similar experience and I think Yamaha should step up but? As I am about to leave on such a long trip I will begin to seek out the Michelin tires when I get close to needing a new set? I leave on Aug 3/10 for Newfoundland from British Columbia and then south and west into the US; I can't wait to get going!

Mark
Did a quick 100k's today! Balance seems fine? averaged around 100 kms/hr and fastest at around 165 kms/hr! I think the suggestion about maintaining the correct tire pressure is very important? The trip I just did to Colorado we were at least 6000 ft. mostly and that is above my home elevation of about 1400 ft? If you don't monitor your pressure it can get quite high? I started to notice a little cupping in the front tire and checked the tire pressure which was somewhere above 50 psi? Daily pressure check is a must in my opinion!

... and checked the tire pressure which was somewhere above 50 psi? Daily pressure check is a must in my opinion!
Check them cold. The ambient temperature can affect them by a few PSI, check them before you ride (and before they sit in the hot sun).

When riding, they will warm up and their pressure will increase. You shouldn't let air out, the increase in pressure prevents the tyre overheating.

Did a quick 100k's today!
100,000!!! Dayum! :blink: :blink: You get the brass balls, iron butt award for EVER!!!

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

(either that, or you rode 63 miles and should be slapped for bragging about it. :p )

My biggest reason I won't go with the PRII's again - the rear gets pretty squirmy under hard/emergency braking. I have never had so many "oh shit" moments with the rear wheel losing traction under braking as I have since mounting those tires. I shouldn't have to think about the rear brake as much as I do now. Also, they're not bad but never could feel the same trust in them as I did with the Dunlops. The Angel front w/ RS rear has me very curious.

Roadsmart rear has the same tendency to get squirmy under heavy braking too. It's because when you are straight up, you are riding on a harder compound with less traction. It doesn't seem to effect trail braking into corners, or when not on the center stripe of compound. I think any multicompound ST tire (where mileage is a factor) will have that "feature". I figure that so litte of the total braking is from the rear tire, I just live with it and go lighter on the rear brake. Plus you get to check your ABS more often when braking and downshifting. :rolleyes:

Okay -- hoping for some long term followup from you guys running the Angel front.

Do you still like the Angel front/Roadsmart rear combo or are you running something else in back?

Just hit 10K on my set of Angels. Front just starting to square off. Back tire shows more flatting in middle then front. :)