Announcing the Rally Rallye 2011 Style

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is something that pretty much would demand a GPS, am I right?
No, not at all. A GPS can be a helpful tool but it can also lead you astray if you're not careful. The bonus instructions include fairly detailed directions like this;

15. Aerostich Rider Wearhouse-Duluth, MN

Duluth is located on the Western most point of Lake Superior. The Rider Wearhouse is located at 8 South 18th Ave West. From exit 255 on I-35 go North on US-53 take the first exit go straight at the stop sign at the bottom of the ramp 1 block to Superior St. Turn left go 2 blocks and Aerostich is on your right. Inside the showroom there is a motorcycle frame/rocking horse, an Ascot FT500 to be exact. What is the VIN of the FT500? It’s on the steering head. _________________________________________________________

4000 points odo:_____________ time:_____________

Combine that with the fact that you'll be receiving the bonus list a few days before the Rally Rallye you should have plenty of time to plan your route using what ever means you like best.

If I were doing this rally with out a here's what I'd do;

Plot out all the bonus locations on a map using colored stick on dots. Different colors for different point values high, medium and low. That will give you a good overall picture of what and where the bonuses are. Ask yourself how many miles do I want to cover in the 8 hours I have. Then start formulating a route depending on your priorities. Priorities?? Yes, do you want to win? You don't care about winning you just want to enjoy a good ride and see some interesting places. I've planned routes at rallies that were solely driven by which bonus locations I wanted to see, you might be surprised how well this strategy can work sometimes. Next you might use a mapping program like Streets and Trip or Mapsourse but if you don't have a GPS you might not own one of those pieces of software. You can use whatever web based mapping service that you prefer MapQuest, Google maps and Bing Maps are all very good at route planning. Once you formulate a plan highlight that on a map and make a list of all the bonuses you want to visit. Include info like point value, any time restriction (doesn't open until 10AM), the number of the bonus on the bonus list and quicky directions. Use this list and the map to get where you want to go.

Here are a couple of ride reports from rallies that will give you a good idea what the different thought processes are that go into rally routing. DaJuice from last years Rally Rallye. CraigReg's novice report and Cruzin's Spank Rally RR.

Lastly one of the most important things a rally rookie can do is to ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE THE RALLY.

I'm in. Just filled out the registration form.
That sir is good news :specool:

Now we're up to 5 with one other committed and a maybe or two. That doesn't equal 10 :glare: I need a little better response soon. I've got one more trip and a bunch of paperwork and computer time to do to get this off the ground. So I kinda need to see some more interest to justify the time I need to invest in this over the next month. So if your on the fence sign up! If you know someone who should be doing this get them to sign up now.

Judging from the feedback after last year everyone had a blast. So lets get on it :big_boss:

Thanks Gramps and Rick. I have read the info from previous years' rallys (like a good rookie should), and to make sure I summed it up correctly, there's an 8 hour time limit, each person goes out solo and you take a picture of your bike next to each bonus. Gotta be back by the 8 hour limit, provide your evidence, tally up your points and brag or get laughed at, and then enjoy beer and Ibuprofen? Anything I missed?

Now we're up to 5 with one other committed and a maybe or two. That doesn't equal 10 :glare: I need a little better response soon. I've got one more trip and a bunch of paperwork and computer time to do to get this off the ground. So I kinda need to see some more interest to justify the time I need to invest in this over the next month. So if your on the fence sign up! If you know someone who should be doing this get them to sign up now.

Judging from the feedback after last year everyone had a blast. So lets get on it :big_boss:
+1 Good for ya Tim!

Rick,

My questions are these... I WILL be there somehow but,

I am doing a 10/10ths in July- It comes down to tire management. Can "Other" bikes join in the fun?

(I am thinking on bringing the BMW up there.)

AND...

I might have to do the ride up there at a BBG pace just to make it on time- SO

Even though it is an 8 hour rally, Is there a SLEEP BONUS available? :lol:

Thanks Gramps and Rick. I have read the info from previous years' rallys (like a good rookie should), and to make sure I summed it up correctly, there's an 8 hour time limit, each person goes out solo and you take a picture of your bike next to each bonus. Gotta be back by the 8 hour limit, provide your evidence, tally up your points and brag or get laughed at, and then enjoy beer and Ibuprofen? Anything I missed?
A photo of your bike at the bonus is only one of the ways you will be asked to document a bonus. Reading comprehension will be rewarded.

Other wise you pretty much nailed it :good:

+1 Good for ya Tim!

Rick,

My questions are these... I WILL be there somehow but,

I am doing a 10/10ths in July- It comes down to tire management. Can "Other" bikes join in the fun?

(I am thinking on bringing the BMW up there.)

AND...

I might have to do the ride up there at a BBG pace just to make it on time- SO

Even though it is an 8 hour rally, Is there a SLEEP BONUS available? :lol:
Other bikes are allowed, no problem there. A sleep bonus at the Rally is unlikely but naps for riders in need are encouraged. You may not be alone in you sleepiness I plan to introduce the Rally Rallye entrants to Coons rally prep methods, staying up late the night before the rally :drinks:

Last edited by a moderator:
Other bikes are allowed, no problem there. A sleep bonus at the Rally is unlikely but naps for riders in need are encouraged. You may not be alone in you sleepiness I plan to introduce the Rally Rallye entrants to Coons rally prep methods, staying up late the night before the rally :drinks:

I am in, thanks Rick for putting this together.

This sounds like a blast- What a location for enjoying a ride and hopefully learning how to rally.

Looking forward to meeting you. BTW I know where there is a "Six Pack" that would last throughout

the whole rally... (With no empty cans) :rolleyes:

I am in, thanks Rick for putting this together.

This sounds like a blast- What a location for enjoying a ride and hopefully learning how to rally.

Looking forward to meeting you. BTW I know where there is a "Six Pack" that would last throughout

the whole rally... (With no empty cans) :rolleyes:
You're added to the list :good:

Yup, no chance of running out of beer in Wisconsin.

IMG_0976.JPG

I should have read Ricks Rally rules before posting, it looks like 3 of 4 are in Expert this year :yahoo:
What you shoulda read was the registration form :big_boss: Peeps that only have run the Rally Rallye can remain a rookie except Griff and he can't make it.
Rick you have known me longer then anyone on this forum :blink: you should know by now my reading comprehesion SUCKS :p

It's simply amazing I do as well at this sport as I do :huh: :clapping: :lol:

I just tried to register however...The websight is not available once I hit the "submit" button. I will try again later.

Thank you Rick. I know that you put some effort in these things.

CFO Registration - Complete!

Rally Rallye Registration - Complete!

GPS - Still too cheap to buy one......

CFO Registration - Complete!

Rally Rallye Registration - Complete!
Great news :good:

GPS - Still too cheap to buy one......
Like you need one :blink:

Chad here is the perfect example that you don't need a bunch of fancy electronics to do well in a bonus rally. He put together an ultra efficient route last year using the basics "plan your ride, ride your plan" :yes2:

Latest posts