Another one down

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn ZZ, that really sucks. Next time ya gotta dodge those SUVs better. I really hope there's a next time and that you get full use of the leg back. I met you as you were leaving WFO5; hope to see you at WFO6.

ZZ hope you are not in too much pain at this point. I'm glad there were several good friends there to help at the site. It sounds like you are in for a long recovery and probably so physical therapy. Work hard at it and you'll be as good as new. Get well soon

Glenn

Holy Mackrel! Sorry to hear that. Having good help can make a big difference.

Well I'm glad they were able to salvage your OEM body parts. Hope your functionally fit as soon as you can.

Best Wishes For Positive Karma in the Coming Year! TJ

Hey ZZ,

Everytime one of us gets hurt I can taste the dust in my mouth and smell that hospital ward again :( .

(Day-um, bro, lemme uncork that bottle and see if I can chase the demons away... :rolleyes: )

Wishing you a speedy recovery. I'm sure our bunch of friendly cutthroats will keep you company in the weeks to come.

All the best buddy

Stef

:( sorry to hear that that happened to you, heal completely and asap.

+ thanks to all that assisted you. that that was good that others were able to handle the situation as well as they did.

So sorry to hear the bad news. It's sad to hear of any rider down, but one feels it all the more when it's someone you know.

I'm sure that you're not far away from me, so if you need anything, drop me a line.

DH is using an excellent Personal Injury Attorney who is a motorcyclist, based in Fountain Valley. He came very highly recommended to us, and we've been satisfied so far. I can give you a number if you want it.

Jill

Sorry to hear of this terrible accident zz.

Very glad to hear that you got some good care immediately.

Brings back bad memories from my wife's little incident which pales in comparison to your situation.

All the best to you with your recovery.Hope everything mends and you get back in the saddle again soon brother.best wish's.

Good luck and I'm real sorry this happened. Remember... it's temporary... you will heal. Keep us informed.

Guys,

I was on Larry's ride when he went down.

Larry called me the night before checking up on me from my trip overseeas and asked if I can join him for the ride. It was great to hear his happy voice on the phone. I said I will, but will take it really easy since I just put new tires on.

I met Larry and his group of riders coming from Ortega Highway in Redlands at a gas station. We decided to split the group in half. Slow and no so slow riders. I joined the not so slow.

Larry was either number 3 or 4 on the group lead by another rider (non FJR). I was last in my group when we starting climbing big bear from the back.

It got chilly so I pulled over to put my liners on. Yes 50 is chilly for socal...

Took about 3 minutes, took off only to see one of my fellow riders was coming back looking for me. After a thumbs up both directions, he made a U turn behind me and off we went. After a couple of twisties, we came upon a turn and saw a couple of FJRs parked at a turn out, thinking photo opp. Rode up a little only to see another FJR blocking the road, then towards the bend, I saw a pair of legs belly down off on the shoulder not moving surrounded by fellow riders. My heart just froze, shocked, lost all senses...someone tells me "shit shit its Larry" I completely was shocked. No sight of the bike. Plastic all over the place, pieces of rubber, Saddle bags...MY GOD!

I looked at Larry, not moving, all leather, helmet still on, not moving. I rode past and parked on the side and was about to walk back and noticed we are in a completely blind spot and cars coming down warp speed.

I immediately, without even checking on Larry, knowing he is in good hands with his fellow friends, walked up and started working on traffic control, slowing people down. You will be surprised how many ignored my signals and just zoomed by. Looking at the corner of my eye on Larry legs, hoping some movement anything, but nothing.

After a few minutes, I heard sirens, thank god. Fire Department came and started attending Larry. A nice man came up and gave me street Stop and Slow signs for my traffic management. Still Larry is still not moving.

A few minutes later, Ambulance came by and a fireman came up and asked to take over the traffic control.

As I was walking back to check up on Larry, they were already putting him in the ambulance. I asked about him. One of the guys said he is ok, he can talk, smile, and remember names, dates...etc THANK GOD!

We stayed until the tow truck came and pulled the bike from the ditch onto a flat bed. CHP asked me if I saw anything. But no, I was late to arrive on the scene.

The senior driving he SUV was with a group of cars. The only witness another SUV apparently left the scene before anyone could get a number, name. He did not leave anything, but he apparently saw what happened.

We collected all of Larrys personal belongings scattered everywhere and I and a couple of fellow riders rode up to Big Bear to check up on him. After we waited in emergency, we were allowed in to see him. Hip replacement is what I understood. Where the impact of the SUV. The impact was pretty strong. The Wheel of the Ford was bent even!

Larry is a strong man. His spirits are high, his emotions are high. Under the condition he was in, he was asking about my trip over seas, and the fact that I forgot my password on his web site. We joked a little to make him forget. I wished him well and hope we can ride again soon. He said most definitely, he says he is eyeying the new Kawasaki Sport Tourer. What a guy!

God Bless him, hope to ride again.

For those of you who don't know Larry, he is a GENTLEMAN! Fantastic guy, loves to ride, loves to eat, and loves life! A great sense of humor, never fails to put a smile on your face.

Get well Larry :)

Chilling story - I got goose bumps reading it. Do you know if the driver said anything? I'm curious to know what possible excuse he might offer, when his carelessness almost cost a life.

Jill

Thanks for that update, Armand. Hate this for Larry and the rest of you who had to witness the accident and aftermath, but glad you were there for Larry.

Chilling story - I got goose bumps reading it. Do you know if the driver said anything? I'm curious to know what possible excuse he might offer, when his carelessness almost cost a life.
Jill

The driver was an older woman (60's) and she stayed hidden after she pulled over. I think she was afraid of all the bikes. However, I know she was relieved that Larry was concious and moving.

The driver was an older woman (60's) and she stayed hidden after she pulled over. I think she was afraid of all the bikes. However, I know she was relieved that Larry was concious and moving.
That's often true - a group of bikers generate fear among the public. The 'bad boy' image runs deep. It's ironic that few of the bikers that I know would be classed as even remotely intimidating in other circumstances.

There is some small satisfaction in hearing of the driver's relief about Larry's condition. It implies some kind of conscience, or thought on his behalf. (Or possibly relief that the charges would be assault, rather than manslaughter?)

To this day, I wonder now and again about the woman whose carelessnes caused DH's accident. Does she sleep well at night? I'd only like her to pay for his injuries for as long as he has to.

Jill

Jill

Aparently, the driver is saying Larry crossed the double yellow. It is impossible for Larry to cross the double yellow. He is one of the safest and least risk takers. He will stay behind aunty sue driving her minivan 25 in a 45 during no pass zones. The driver of the car was in shock, but the tough part was, none of our guys saw what happened. Amazing!

The impact on the SUV was really strong, lights, bumber, rim, all broken/bent. The impact was right on the hip. The bikes left side had complete damage, alternator cover completely broken. The right side was in ok shape. The bike was leaning on a boulder about 8 feet in the ditch. It was a tough crash.

Aparently, the driver is saying Larry crossed the double yellow. It is impossible for Larry to cross the double yellow. He is one of the safest and least risk takers. He will stay behind aunty sue driving her minivan 25 in a 45 during no pass zones. The driver of the car was in shock, but the tough part was, none of our guys saw what happened. Amazing!
The impact on the SUV was really strong, lights, bumber, rim, all broken/bent. The impact was right on the hip. The bikes left side had complete damage, alternator cover completely broken. The right side was in ok shape. The bike was leaning on a boulder about 8 feet in the ditch. It was a tough crash.
It's amazing what they can do with forensics, and accident reconstruction technology. The police report will be available in the next couple of weeks. Larry (or his lawyer) can get a copy, and see what they said.

One of my GF was involved in a very similar accident, when an out of control Ducati hit her GS1200. The police report clarified what happened and recommended that Mr Ducati retake his motorcycle test to prove that he was able to ride a bike.

Jill

:yahoo: I'm hoping for a speedy recovery for ya cause we're gonna miss you on our rides and we don't know where we'll go to eat!!

Oh yes...thanks for letting me use those warm gloves in Big Bear. Helped when it got down to 30.