Another ticker. Oh goody gumdrops!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2004 with only 4200 miles but I swear its a ticker. It has all the characteristics that are described in this forum.

Starts ticking after warmed up and is louder when outside temp and bikes is hot. I can hear it with windshield full up between 3k and 4k rpm and at idle. If its not a ticker and possible injectors, how do you quiet them down?

Last Friday bergs FJR was shy, it wouldn't tick for the test rider and wouldn't tick in the parking lot. It probably started making noise .5 miles down the road after bergs left the shop :lol:

'Ticking' is caused by the valve guide wearing to the point that the valve stem rattles in the bore, 4k miles is pretty early for that kind of wear. The root cause for the wear appears to be stem seals that are so tight that they don't allow sufficient oil into the guide, leading to wear. I guess it is possible that the stem seals on a few engines are SO tight that they allowed guide wear from mile 1. If I was a betting kinda guy I wouldn't bet on this. Do try listening to the motor using the mechanics stethoscope described in this previous post.

The only way to tell that is a ticker for positively sure is to take it apart and measure the guide. The dealers have been instructed to take the headers off and look for oil in the head pipes, but it may take a while for the seals to get beat up enough to let enough oil pass (because both engines are so young). The poor mans way to check the tick is to listen with the 'scope. If you hear nothing, that rules the guides out. If you hear something that doesn't automatically mean that the root cause of the noise is worn guides but it starts the troubleshooting process.

Even if your bike is a ticker it takes a loooonnnnngggg time before anything bad starts to happen. That bad thing would be a small amount of oil consumption. It will always get you there and bring you home, there is nothing that is going to fail. Ride it, don't sweat it, and then when the riding season is done have your dealer look at it. AFAIK, Yamaha has repaired all tickers regardless if they are under warranty, if you are not the original owner and independent of miles. The only glitch in the whole process is to get the dealer to acknowledge that it is a ticker. Heck, the dealer may not even know about the problem. When discussing this with a dealer you want to be sure to say "excessive valve guide wear" because 'ticker' is only a Forum term and not a technical description to Yamaha.

If I were to describe the noise, first I'd say the tick sounds almost like one of those electronic grill starters....you know....the battery powered ones that fire the ignitor repeatedly when you hold the button in...sounds like something along those lines but louder.
Another way I could describe it...try tapping your thumb nails together....times that volume level by 50 and do that 2500 times a minute intermittantly
Which is what a spark plug wire/cap problem sounds like and may be why it is intermittent too.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Ticking' is caused by the valve guide wearing to the point that the valve stem rattles in the bore,
Just a note of clarification: My visual from the Australian Yamaha Tech. Bulletin is that the noise ('tick') eminates from the valve face stiking the valve seat at an angle -- causing all the force of the valve spring to be taken in a small area of the valve and valve seat (cyl. head).

Not saying the noise couldn't come from the valve stem/valve guide interface -- who knows? -- Mama Yama? Just that it seemed to me that a corrupted valve face/valve seat accommodation was the noise culprit.

C M Fauna, you're probably correct about the way Yamaha describes the events leading to that noise. I recall a video with Warchild and Timex's worn parts where they put the valve stems in his trashed guides and they shot a little rattle clip.

Okay, this is officially perplexing.

As you now know, the machine was a little gun-shy on Friday and it did not tick on its way to the dealer. Service manager took it for a 20 minute ride and still nothing....WTF??

It has not made a sound from Friday until today. <shakes head>

I think Yamaha broke into my shed and fixed the problem when I was sleeping....not sure how else to explain it.

I'm just going to ride this thing...

Thanks to all for your help and advice in the last couple weeks....apparently the bike has fixed itself.

As you now know, the machine was a little gun-shy on Friday and it did not tick on its way to the dealer. Service manager took it for a 20 minute ride and still nothing....WTF??

I think Yamaha broke into my shed and fixed the problem when I was sleeping....not sure how else to explain it.

Thanks to all for your help and advice in the last couple weeks....apparently the bike has fixed itself.
Not saying you are, but it is easy after looking at posts on the 'net to become an "Internet hypochondriac" whereby we manage to fit our problems to the diagnosis.

But LOL - more than one potential ticker has "fixed itself" over the last three year due to the seal healing qualities the Yamaha Borg built into the machine.

Relax for a while now and go riding and don't worry about it.

....apparently the bike has fixed itself.
That is why I rode mine a summer before taking it in.

I does not fix itself. It comes and goes until it gets bad.

My early symtoms were low rpm under load, but was not repeatable on demand.

Much later the severity comes and goes, but there is always something there.

Bottom line, your complaint is on record. Ride it.

Eventually, it will get worse and oil will leak out the exhaust valve (esp. cyl 1)

Evidence of oil in the exhaust does not come and go. It is also not open to opinions and denial.

At that point, you don't need to break the motor down just to confirm the problem.

Yeah, and the part that I don't get (and again this isn't aimed at bergs) is why all the fear about having a ticker? If you do get one, the problem is fairly inane. I mean it's not like the frame cracks at the head bearing or something. It just burnsa a little oil until you get around to fixing it. And the good part is that Mamma Yamma seems to be picking up the tab in most cases even out of warranty, so no apparent need to rush in there and "catch it early".

Not saying you are, but it is easy after looking at posts on the 'net to become an "Internet hypochondriac" whereby we manage to fit our problems to the diagnosis.
I don't think it was that, so much. Rather it was hearing something, a distinct ticking over that of the injectors and located only on the left side, that I didn't notice for the first 1500 miles, occured consistently for 2100 miles and has subsequently gone away since Friday morning.

Whatever the case, the motor is quiet and I no longer care. :crazy:

And Fred W, why are you aiming your comments at me? :butcher:

:derisive:

:friends:

Just kiddin' bud.