Any Alternative to Corbin Smuggler?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
Right now I have a full sized one-piece Corbin seat, but usually ride solo. I was thinking I'd like to have a single seat, but what to do with the gaping hole that would be left? Another purpose for the change is to have a good extra place to tie an auxiliary bag down for camping gear, etc. The only possible solution I've seen is the Corbin "smuggler," but since I find the Corbin I have too hard, I don't know if I'd like this seat either with their rock-hard "high density foam." Plus its rounded shape doesn't look like it would offer a stable tie-down platform. I want to keep mine so I can still ride two up sometimes. Just seems like the FJR doesn't have many tie-down points for the big stuff--tent, sleeping bag, lawn chair, hang glider, etc. Anybody have suggestions?

Here is the poor mans smuggler. I have been using this set up for a over a year, and it is great. I am looking to improve it in a few ways, but haven't had the time to dedicate to it just yet.

https://home.nycap.rr.com/pnelson1/FJRtailbag.htm

OOPS, just noticed you have an '05. This set up will not work on a Gen 1. Sorry for the tease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere on this board I once saw a really clever arrangement in which a yamaha seat was stripped down to its base, covered with black plastic of some sort, then fitted with chrome luggage rack bars. I'd make something just like that in a new york minute if I could find a second-hand seat somewhere. Probably cheaper than the $799 corbin smuggler, too.

I just wish someone made a smuggler type hard lockable device that wasn't "hand laid" or cut from diamond or whatever it is that causes them them to be so darned expensive. I could justify $300, bit over $700?! insane!

Here is the poor mans smuggler. I have been using this set up for a over a year, and it is great. I am looking to improve it in a few ways, but haven't had the time to dedicate to it just yet.

OOPS, just noticed you have an '05. This set up will not work on a Gen 1. Sorry for the tease.
Ummm, I'm pretty sure that are plenty of CL100's mounted on 1st Gens. It can be done.

Ummm, I'm pretty sure that are plenty of CL100's mounted on 1st Gens. It can be done.
Could be, but I bought my CL1000's from another forum member, after it was discovered (so several people said) that the CL100 could not be mounted in the way SPECIFICALLY shown in the link I posted. Might be able to be done another way, but since mine went on without a hitch, I wouldn't know. I am thinking of trying a CL150, to see if I can get a little more space.

That's pretty neat but it's got a couple of issues imo.

1) Those hooks will almost certainly tear up your seat upholstery with repeated use.

2) I doubt if those hooks will work on every bike. A bike whose seat doesn't have an "edge" won't have anything for the hook to grab onto.

3) The adjustment mechanism for the hook straps has to be inside the bag, which means that when you remove or attach the bag you have to go into it (thus moving your stuff) to do the adjustment. I will concede that the springyness of the seat might be enough that freqyebt adjustment wouldn't be necessary.

4) It's pretty small and can't be expanded, stuff can't be strapped onto it, so the flexibility is really limited.

Could be, but I bought my CL1000's from another forum member, after it was discovered (so several people said) that the CL100 could not be mounted in the way SPECIFICALLY shown in the link I posted. Might be able to be done another way, but since mine went on without a hitch, I wouldn't know. I am thinking of trying a CL150, to see if I can get a little more space.

Thanks for the heads up. I went back and searched through the archives and couldn't find any references to a successful install of the CL100 on a 1st Gen. I'm pretty sure that I have seen some, in fact I could swear that HerFJR and ZOOOM both have them set up on their '05's, but with the stock seats. That may be the key as those that reported fitting problems had after market comfort seats.

I have an extra seat pan and will be making a fiberglass seat cowl this winter...maybe something like to Busa cowl, but not so drastic). Not sure if I'm good enough to make a latch to store things???

I am also interested in the Nelso Rigg CL100 for my Gen. I bike. I may follow up on that later as well.

Thanks for the heads up. I went back and searched through the archives and couldn't find any references to a successful install of the CL100 on a 1st Gen. I'm pretty sure that I have seen some, in fact I could swear that HerFJR and ZOOOM both have them set up on their '05's, but with the stock seats. That may be the key as those that reported fitting problems had after market comfort seats.
Fred,

I'm not sure the seats were the problem. I BELIEVE that the mounting bolts that are used to hold the bag down in the link I posted are not the same on the Gen 1 as they are on the Gen 2. I have this on my bike with a Corbin front seat. The rear seat hasn't been on the bike for over a year and a half; since I mounted the CL100.

I have an extra seat pan and will be making a fiberglass seat cowl this winter...maybe something like to Busa cowl, but not so drastic). Not sure if I'm good enough to make a latch to store things???
I am also interested in the Nelso Rigg CL100 for my Gen. I bike. I may follow up on that later as well.
FJRandy fabricated one. See his on page 2 of this thread.

He could not only provide some tips, but I think he's in your neck of the woods.

Wish I had those skilz. It looks slick and since my wife doesn't ride, it would make a lot of sense on my bike.

FJRandy fabricated one. See his on page 2 of this thread.

He could not only provide some tips, but I think he's in your neck of the woods.

Wish I had those skilz. It looks slick and since my wife doesn't ride, it would make a lot of sense on my bike.
Yup, Randy's is the cat's ass, but even if he was wiling to make another one, I don't want to think about how expensive it would be. I don't have the skills for anything even close to that.

Latest posts