Any local FJR-geniuses (DFW area) that might help with these damn headlights?!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithq

Reaction score
Just hoping there are some local to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area FJR enthusiasts who are also electrical geniuses! Talking to the two dealers who sell and presumably work on Yamahas, one in Irving said $150 to trouble shoot but if they had to remove plastic, would charge more. Really? How can you trouble shoot *without* removing some of the plastic! And the other one in Hurst said $160 for an hour and would include looking under the plastic. But the guy also said, 'you should just replace them to make sure it isn't the LED headlights'! My question was, what if the new ones still don't work? Will you then do free trouble shooting. He didn't really have an answer for that.

Read in a previous thread that if the blue high beam indicator comes on, it is not the headlight fuse. Not entirely sure where the relay is but that would be my next guess. Anyone want to try and assist (in Bedford or wherever!) for a case of beer?!

Keith Quigley

Keith did you have the headlight issue repaired? This past summer was extremely HOT making wrenching on our bikes diffcult for us older owners.
Louis

Keith did you have the headlight issue repaired? This past summer was extremely HOT making wrenching on our bikes diffcult for us older owners.
Louis
I am still day driving only! But I understand it was too hot in my garage too. Much cooler now though!

One of these days, I am going to have to disconnect my Admore light bar, which was the last thing I did. Likely the culprit but unsure how to reconnect it without dropping voltage, if that is what happened. Hard to believe since it was plugged into the taillight pigtail.

On the 2016+ bikes there is a fuse block that is not part of the main fuse block that has a fuse specifically for that LED headlight assembly. If you added a light bar that draws enough current, that fuse probably blew. If you want to have auxillary lighting that is triggered with the headlights, the best way I've found is with the little triggering device made by Clearwater. But it is just a trigger; you'll need to add a relay and a high current power source like an add-on fuse block. That's how I did mine. Good luck with it.

On the 2016+ bikes there is a fuse block that is not part of the main fuse block that has a fuse specifically for that LED headlight assembly. If you added a light bar that draws enough current, that fuse probably blew. If you want to have auxillary lighting that is triggered with the headlights, the best way I've found is with the little triggering device made by Clearwater. But it is just a trigger; you'll need to add a relay and a high current power source like an add-on fuse block. That's how I did mine. Good luck with it.
Thanks, but where is the alternative fuse block. Don't recall seeing one.

Depending on if it was a DIY project, it could be anywhere. It also might be a commercial fuse block from the aftermarket or a complete DIY project like this.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/pdb/pdb.html
I think he is talking about an OEM fusebox separate from the main box. This was for OEM LED headlights in the 2016+ models. I had a look at the owner's manual and saw the following... (This should give all the fuse layout information.) I think this was for a 2018 ES. There appear to be two boxes close to each other but it is difficult to see in the manual drawing. I'm sure it is clearer in person.

@vzhq16 , is there another one somewhere else?

1707659427382.png

Well, as they say in science (and other stuff too) the simplest answer is sometimes the right one. Or maybe that was Occam's razor. After all this time, having checked voltages, deinstalled my Admore taillight, charging my battery and still not finding the resolution to my darkened headlights, I read back over the two previous posts and realized I had never actually checked the fuse. So yeah, a tiny little 7.5a fuse was the culprit. So thanks guys!

Now, I can go back to my local Harley dealer to get my (late) inspection...

Any local DFW guys ready to meet for breakfast soon? Head down to Granbury maybe?