anyone else experienc"wobble" in high speed curves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yesIfly

Reaction score
Does anyone else here experience wobble in high speed curves? What can be done? new suspension front and rear? If I execute the perfect line, this rarely happens. I suppose the best fix would be to perfect my cornering technique, but that's not likely to happen.

thanks

I can't say "wobble," but rather "unsettled." Could be tires depending on miles. However, I installed a Wilbers and everything feels solid now.

Let me take it for a spin the I will be able to tell for sure. Just a blind guess, if suspension is ok nothing bent it most likely is your front tirecheck the wear pattern. Mine shows a little wear and it shakes at low speeds. New avons are going on after real soon.One or two rides more about 2k.

Try this what speed does it shake? Run it up to about 10mph faster than the speed it shakes let go of handle bars and let coast and see if the front wheel shakes ( have your hands off the bar slightly ready to grab when the shake happens ) if this happens front tire is toast time for new ones. Good luck hope this helps. the onlly shaking that should be done is on the dance floor.

:haha: :haha: :haha: weekend rider

Wow, not normal or good at all. Have you checked your steering stem bearings for proper tightness?

Try this what speed does it shake? Run it up to about 10mph faster  than the speed it shakes let go of handle bars and let coast  and see if  the front wheel shakes ( have your hands off the bar slightly ready to grab when the shake happens ) if this happens front tire is toast time for new ones.
Um, you want him to go hands free 10 MPH faster in a turn to look for a wobble? What R U an ebay parts dealer :lol:

Does anyone else here experience wobble in high speed curves? What can be done? new suspension front and rear? If I execute the perfect line, this rarely happens. I suppose the best fix would be to perfect my cornering technique, but that's not likely to happen.
thanks
Do you have the Yammy trunk on there? I get a "wobble" only when i have it installed. It's not too bad once you KNOW it's there!

@Howie, The dampner is a good idea though i doubt anyone will want one!

And "screw you guys, I'm going home!" I love Cartman!! LMAO! :haha:

If all is mechanically sound…

It could be a number of things like the set up suspension on the front or rear. I know I reasonably happy with the front end set up on mine which is stock (and I don’t attack some of the twisties as hard as the next bloke) so it suits me. I know if I have the rear dampening to high it tends to bounce me through the corners so I back it off a bit while still having it on the hard setting which I really like I feel very secure in the turn even if it’s hot one (Fast through the apex).

And when I can I always power through the turn and come out the other side a little faster than I went in. This makes the bike very stable into the turn and you can point it to where you want it to go with a lot of confidence.

My 2 bob’s worth!

That's always scared the spit out of me when it's happened. Usually one of the following is going on:

1) I changed my line in the turn at the wrong moment. Or gassed, braked or shifted my weight. Technique

2) Wheels not perfectly aligned.

3) Tire pressure low, front tire worn or unevenly worn.

4) Wheels not true (fixable with spokes), or unbalanced.

5) Steering head bearing shot or loose (had both over the decades).

6) Dying front wheel bearing (be SURE to check that!) Never had that thankfully.

7) Riding stupid. Oh wait, I said that in 1)... :D

I call it "The Wallow"

Not scary, just obnoxious ! My perfect <_< riding line and newer Pirelli's are no match for a crappy stock suspension with 12K on the bike.

I will fix that soon, it's just that our riding season never ends...

Wallow Wallow

I had a wobble once and it wasn't in a corner it was on a straight doing about 130. Duhh, some might say but I've not felt a wobble at that speed many other times so the wobble is not a constant in my FJR universe.

I'm going to write it off to some strange turbulence from the crosswind that day. Could something similar be a factor for you?

-r

Last edited by a moderator:
Suspension settings make a night-and-day difference to me. I've tweaked mine a couple of times and went from wallow to stable. I had to firm up the settings (again) after about 8K miles. I assume that is just my suspension components degenerating?

If I execute the perfect line, this rarely happens. 
Your bike doesn't have a clue whether the line is perfect or not. Only the brain holding the handlebars knows that. :dribble:

First thing I check with high speed cornering problems is me. Try the same corner again while concentrating on keeping a loose grip. A tense or tight grip can have a huge affect on the bike's handling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully he does not let go in aa turn. I should have also stated only in a straight line. If he checks his tires and sees the uneven crown on the rubber that is most likely it. Before I tear my bike apart and my tires show wear I will try what I mentioned and that is usually the problem . No harm no foul happy riding and problem solving weekend rider :D

Had an old Honda 350 once. It was the kiss of death to back off in a long sweeper. It would develop a wobble that could not be controlled if you did nothing but brake. You had to open the throttle again or you would end up off the road.

The FJR exhibits a slight left to right and back movement of the front end when braking violently from very high speed using the front brake alone.

It seems to be alleviated to some extent with the judicious use of the back brake together with the front.

Other than that she is one stable bike and behaves herself everywhere else.

12,000 miles and suspension seems to be OK.

I call it "The Wallow"Not scary, just obnoxious ! My perfect <_< riding line and newer Pirelli's are no match for a crappy stock suspension with 12K on the bike.

I will fix that soon, it's just that our riding season never ends...

Wallow Wallow
Yes, that's the feeling. Wallowing through the curves. I set all of the suspension settings to the 'Sport Rider' settings mentioned somewhere. They are pretty stiff all the way around, and after riding a couple of days on that I set them one less stiff for all rebound and compression damping(in the front).

If I execute the turn with reasonable smoothness and exit faster than I entered, everything is great. If however I have any "corrections" to make in curve, it tends to "wallow" which I remember happening--to a less extent--on my old cbr600 but is much more pronounced on the FJR. It weighs much more, and has a much longer wheelbase than a cbr600. Also, it is variable with how much lean angle I have(or how horizontal the suspension is) which is directly variable with entry velocity. The speeds (lean angle) at which this happens are pretty high. Perhaps I am asking a little too much from a 600 pound bike. What a great bike it is though!

Thanks for all of the replies.

I've experienced it and I'm not at all surprised by it. I weigh 250 pounds and like to ride a spirited pace. It all boils down to the suspension. For me, there simply is not enough adjustability to handle a bump midturn at high speed. EVERY bike I've owned has been like this until redoing the suspension so I pretty much know what to expect until I resuspend and therefore keep my speed down accordingly. On my last bike Racetech fork treatment combined with a new rear shock made it handle rock SOLID and also made it feel about 150 lighter! I'll be doing this same mod to my FJR this winter.

Mike