Anyone have the Garmin Zumo 590LM Motorcycle GPS yet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK guys, fixing to pull the plug and pick up a 590LM.
I've read and done my research. my main concern is seeing the screen in the sunlight AND any glitches.

Please, all folks, with the 590's already, are most of the glitches worked out and is the screen somewhat readable in full daylight?

All, especially the latest purchased, comments are welcomed.

Thanks ahead of time.. Scott
I've had the 590 for just over a year now. No problems for me with the sunlight. What I did find though is a bad reflection from my hi-viz jacket which makes it unreadable. Loosening the mount and turning the angle helps there. (I'm also finding the screen a bit blurry but I can't find a way to blame Garmin for that.
rolleyes.gif
)

One glitch which I found annoying was when connecting the unit to my PC and trying to work with it in Basecamp. BC wouldn't always see the unit, even when Explorer would. Usually disconnecting the USB once or twice would solve the problem but not always. (I think Ed even referred to this in his BC tutorial thread.) Then about a month or so ago I couldn't get it connected no how and walked away. Next day it connected but it was enough that I got on the phone with Garmin. After several transfers a tech had me switch out of one protocol(?)/setting into something else, telling me it would now act simply as a mass storage device instead of how Garmin had it set, making it cleaner and quicker. I tried to remember how he had me do it, I know it involved holding a corner like a hard-reset to get into a menu, but I can't figure out how to duplicate it for you. In any case, it's been working great ever since.
I'm pretty sure this is the same procedure used on the new Zumo's. I don't have my Zumo handy to try it right now.

Nuvi usb change

The 2595 and other new Nuvi's behave differently from older models because they are not recognized as USB Mass Storage devices - they are MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) devices. I don't have one myself, but I suspect this might have something to do with it. See:

https://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=21019

1. To make all of Nuvi files visible you must unhide protected files via Win7 like any other HD.

2. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.

3. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.

4. The Developers Screen will pop up

5. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS

6. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE

7. Shut down NUVI and hookup to Computer USB cable

8. Start NUVI and it should recognize it is hooked up to the computer.

9. Explorer will now see all files in ROOT directory and the .System directories.

Yup, that was it.^ I think I had options for MTP, MTP ONCE and MASS STORAGE and selected the mass storage. No issues since.

And this helped me remember that the first two techs who were trying to help me suggested that the problem might have been caused by a glitch in the latest map release, something about North and the direction pointer. Gonna copy this over to Ross' thread so he can concentrate on his fork seals instead.
smile.png

He looked it up and it was still in their records. Maybe he was wrong or I misunderstood. No one else mentioned sending theirs in (is that correct guys with 590's discounted?) ..

***Post #7, states NO trading in***...
I just ordered the 550LM direct from Garmin.

As they had my old SPIII on file( I don't think this guy even looked it up), 20% OFF, $719.99 plus tax.

FREE SHIPPING, 30 day money back guarantee and they didn't want the old unit..

I just found I had a 10% coupon with Garmin and called back.

I learned, for the SPIII, if you ask,( and mail it in), you get 40% OFF the 590!!

Other discontinued Garmin models, same thing, BUT the discount is 30%

I learned, for the SPIII, if you ask,( and mail it in), you get 40% OFF the 590!!

How happy are you???
punk.gif
That unit just got 40% more fun to use.
smile.png

How happy are you???
punk.gif
That unit just got 40% more fun to use.
smile.png
Unfortunately, I sold that SPIII years ago so I couldn't get the 40% ...

I did have two, 10% coupons I found when I checked my account.

I already purchased the unit and its already in the mail, BUT the person in Customer relations was going to try and apply that 10% coupon as credit to my CC for this 590.

So it might be 30% off, we'll see..

This unit is considerably bigger that the Nuvi I currently have. So some fabricating a new bracket for the 590 and a creative way/place to tie up most of that long wiring harness will be due. Tucked in the fairing I gather..

Got it installed!I

I was very concerned about being able to see it bright daylight. Needless to say, it has the best screen picture and is considerably easier to navigate/use.

I wired it into the ft running light to power up with the ignition and turn off with the ignition.

I had to make a special bracket to set it nice and low (on a stem mount bolted to a custom center triple nut) so I could see ALL my dash including the low set idiot lights... I put rubber washers in-between all the brackets, stem mount, etc, so it a fairly good amount of cushion for bumps.. And that "octopus harness", jezz, must be 6' long.

Anyway, I'm VERY impressed with this unit and the screen is quite visable in full sunlight (I have it set to 3d).

Al the quirks I've read about ie, routing voice over stereo, is gone. Tells you when to turn, music comes back immediately. I put probably 12 full albums on the unit W/O any additional SD cards.. Very simple to use too!!

Highly recommended and thanks for the input guys.. Pic's of some of the installation.

Viewed on the bike;

Octopus harness tucked away;

Side view, on stem mount with custom bracket(all stock gauges visible);

Last edited by a moderator:
The 550 had a much better locking system for sure. When I saw the lock, the first thing i thought was how easy it would be to snap. It did give me an idea to use a black zip tie so the button could not be pushed. I never took the 550 of of my bike except for updates, I use a cover when I am away and it sits in the garage otherwise when I am home so I never saw the need to remove it but this mount almost screams take me, take me.

The 550 had a much better locking system for sure. When I saw the lock, the first thing i thought was how easy it would be to snap. It did give me an idea to use a black zip tie so the button could not be pushed. I never took the 550 of of my bike except for updates, I use a cover when I am away and it sits in the garage otherwise when I am home so I never saw the need to remove it but this mount almost screams take me, take me.
Yep, I read about using the zip tie and do have a nylon cover that fits very nicely over the unit too.

I may install the zip tie but I have to heli coil (once the kit arrives this week).

The aluminum stem nut (custom made as its much smaller than the FJR) threads are mostly

gone. Its currently tight but I don't trust it..

Being I just got the unit, I've been pulling it on and off changing settings, setting up the stereo, etc so I'm holding off on the zip tie for now. I'll probably go that route once

all done with the stem nut repair

Hey guys,

The 590 mount appears to be an updated version of the zumo 66x mount. When I was working on a security solution for my 660, I found that the actual latching device (part that engages the GPS itself) is spring loaded and will pop up if the GPS is yanked hard enough, even without pressing in the release button.

I devised a locking plate that both prevented the button from being pressed and also prevented the spring latch from opening if the unit is yanked or you hit a severe bump.

The thread starts with my zumo 550 locking mount (which I still use to this day). But, here's the direct link to my post about the 660 mount.

Very ingenious Fred.

I have mine bolted, (with rubber washers in between) to the bracket. I likely wouldn't add the top mount but the lock attached (that's exactly what I have) would work great!!

Thanks, back to the band saw, and a couple hours of a "do-over!!!!

Hey guys,
The 590 mount appears to be an updated version of the zumo 66x mount. When I was working on a security solution for my 660, I found that the actual latching device (part that engages the GPS itself) is spring loaded and will pop up if the GPS is yanked hard enough, even without pressing in the release button.

I devised a locking plate that both prevented the button from being pressed and also prevented the spring latch from opening if the unit is yanked or you hit a severe bump.

The thread starts with my zumo 550 locking mount (which I still use to this day). But, here's the direct link to my post about the 660 mount.
Thanks for the updated idea Fred.

I just finished making a new one but with the tab and hole included in the top rt corner by the release. I also drilled another hole at the bottom by the release tab.

The lock isn't quite as visible in the lower hole (and MUCH harder to access/cut). There is still enough room to remove the lock for access to the release mechanism.

Thanks again Fred and Madmudder!!!

*BTW, with the new lower hole, slightly larger, I can also use the larger zip tie which can wrap around the release by itself or BOTH the release and bracket.