Anyone heard from Groo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy shit, Groo. What a story. There must have been something in the air - I got the mother of all nails in a tire this past Saturday as well. But my story is nothing compared to your adventure.

Hopefully we can get together soon so I can hear all about the trip!

Holy shit, Groo. What a story. There must have been something in the air - I got the mother of all nails in a tire this past Saturday as well. But my story is nothing compared to your adventure.
Hopefully we can get together soon so I can hear all about the trip!
GROO

Great meeting you at WFO5 and great way to end up your your trip the hard way and CONGRAT"S on doing your 1k and 1500 k in 24 hrs.

rogerfjrfaster :D

IBA#21261 2 1k BBG 50cc

Way to go Groo...you da man. It was great meeting you and glad you made it home safe. Hope to see you and all the other folks at WFO-6. PM. :fan_1: <><

Dan - You have fortitude my friend.. or shit for brains. not sure which.. :D

And what about that ODOT dude? Good on him too for riding with ya and going farther than planned.. I think if ODOT ws chasing me I'd keep running too.. :blink:

Seriously - congrats to both of ya.

Most importantly, glad ya make safe and sound.

And what about that ODOT dude? Good on him too for riding with ya and going farther than planned.. I think if ODOT ws chasing me I'd keep running too.. :blink:
Fortitude vs. Shit... I think it's more of the later than the former... :lol:

Odot is my homie now... maybe I'll get a tattoo to commemorate the BBG... He got an unofficial SS1K in, almost by accident... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Fortitude vs. Shit... I think it's more of the later than the former... :lol:

Odot is my homie now... maybe I'll get a tattoo to commemorate the BBG... He got an unofficial SS1K in, almost by accident... :blink:
So I'm guessing in order for Odot to stay on his bike for that amount of time, the Reno Hilton was giving away free beer holders for motorcycles? :lol:

Congratulations to both of you guys. :clapping:

So I'm guessing in order for Odot to stay on his bike for that amount of time, the Reno Hilton was giving away free beer holders for motorcycles? :lol:
Congratulations to both of you guys. :clapping:
We got in a few smoke breaks to keep his DTs at bay... that and lots of coffee... :rolleyes:

Thanks Ian, and for making the longer sliders too... hope I have a repainted bike one of these days soon to put them on.

Congrats Groo!

Nice work, glad to see the Smartire system did it's job.

Not to say you wouldn't have noticed the feel of the flat tire, but you never know...

In all the excitement of the Man-Boob contest I forget to grab the triangle from you.

Sorry you had to take up all that space in your tankbag for no reason :rolleyes:

If someone else wants it, feel free to offer it up.

I missed my chance.

Ah - Winnemucca! Hit a 4-foot jackrabbit near there last year. Now there are two of em.

Happy for your LD success Groo. I had to bail on my BBG near KCMO a few weeks ago. It was 105 and 100% humidity ... Us CO folks just can't take the humidity. I motelled it by day and rode at night. Wimpy-ass IBA'er, eh?

Wow, Groo. You've got some serious sticktoitness. That's a hellish story. I'm glad you're through it.

Glad to hear you made it home safe and relatively sound. Congrats on the IB as well. JB :yahoo:

Now, how many miles had you ridden on the bike previously and never, ever had a flat tire?
Lots... which is why that tire plugger kit is a permanent fixture under my passenger seat space. I figured it would happen sooner or later, just didn't know where. Glad I've got those 2 engineering degrees so I could figure out how to work it out... :rolleyes:

Just bought a patch kit with c02 bottle here in minneapolis. Tell them about the close calls with the LEO's, Groo.

Tell them about the close calls with the LEO's, Groo.
Yes, do tell Groo :) LEO stories are always entertaining/informational

Going home myself required some Jedi senses luck

The thing I hated about 395-S from Reno to San Diego are the radar signs.

-You know the signs under the Speed Limit sign that tell you how fast you are going

-I wish they would make those signs 3 digits instead of 2 :rolleyes:

My Valentine1 would pick them up 2-3 miles out sometimes

We saw 3 or 4 people pulled over having a conversation (only one bike though & not a FJR :) )

Are we there yet? :blink:
Dang, what a f'ed up day that was... :lol:

As was mentioned, I got started at 12:30AM with GZ and Iggy witnessing my docs... my SmarTire system told me something was honked with my rear tire half way to Winnemucca... pulled in there for gas and spun the rear to see a nice silver circle staring back at me from the middle of the tread. Guess it's time to test that tire plug kit I bought last year!

Plugged the tire, and while pondering my options, tried GZ's cell phone (got the voicemail), and decided my best bet for a new tire was back in Reno. Trecked back, only to remember that it was Sunday, and everyone was closed. Talked to Madmike and Warchild. Madmike offerred a can of "fix-a-flat", and Dale said if it was in the center of the tread, and had been holding pressure since Winnemucca, then ride it like I stole it. So I got H. Marc to restart my clock at 7:30ish, and started AGAIN.

Ran into Odot on the road (not literally) :rolleyes: and we decided for one reason or another to haul the mail together going East. Based on the next 1000 miles riding together... I got Odot's back from now on... we hauled ass through Nevada, rode through some blistering heat in Utah, some crap weather in Wyoming (thunderstorm from hell), and he finally peeled off in Cheyenne Wyoming (going 500 miles farther than he'd intended on Sunday). I however had another 500 miles to go to get to KC, and all I know of Nebraska was it was dark, had a f'ing crosswind that kept beating the crap out of me, and it never seemed like it was going to end.

Finally, mercifully, I wound up in Lincoln, NE and took a short jog off the main freeway to go south to KC. Rolled into KC just before 7:00 AM (9 AM central), and got my gas receipt after 1600+miles. Got to my Aunt/Uncle's house and promptly passed out (I'd had 1.5 hours of sleep over the previous 50 hours). Woke up in time for dinner... I had already mentally bailed on the attempt at an SS2K by getting to Dallas on Monday. Got some good KC barbeque, a good night's sleep, and then did 800+ miles to Houston on Tuesday.

Near as I can tell, I picked up the screw in my tread at the very tail end of my ride with Ovale, Radman, Bluebullet, etc. coming back into Reno. Glad I decided not to let the initial goat rope mess up the BBG for me. Quite happy I got through it, and was extremely glad to have Odot along for 2/3 of the ride.

Still recuperating from 6200+ miles over the 10 days. Need R. Mayer to mod my saddle... will post more at length in the upcoming days.

Groo
Groo, great meeting you and congrats on the ride with Odot. Last time I saw you on Sunday morning you were looking for a dealer to get a new set of tires. I told you there were several across 395 near the Hilton. Guess you did it on plugs and it worked out. Nice job and look forward to more of your stories, did not know about the two engineering degrees. That explains a lot. When I was directing airplane mod programs for Lockheed-Martin, I used to have a sign behind my desk for all to see, it said,

"There comes a time in every program, where you shoot the engineers and get on with the program"

Want to let you know that some of my best friends are ENGINEERS!!, and that includes you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunn bros coffee shop...downtown minne. About to get some grub....probably sunnyside up across the street from bobs java hut. Don't have access to computer except for this here coffee shop. Will try to hit valetz's cookout on sunday.

We saw 3 or 4 people pulled over having a conversation (only one bike though & not a FJR :) )
I saw 4 in a 40 mile stretch of 395 on Thursday. One almost involved me. I was blasting up the hill leaving Carson City as I came across an underpowered American compact full of 4 teenage girls camped in the left lane. I went by on the right. I guess they took offense, cuz, as I was still bombing along in the level section up top, they came flying up and past at 85, still in the left lane. Just after this I got back to enjoying the scenery and, as I panned from right to left, through center, where they were receding in the distance, I noticed they were receding right past a car parked on the shoulder under the bridge. I took this as my queue to slow it down a bit. As I passed the car, the damn lights came on and I started daydreaming about the attention that would be fawned on me as I received my performance award. I started to slow and pull off to the shoulder, just as the cop went flying by in rapid pursuit of that American compact. I'm glad the car was full of 4 teenage girls. It pays not to be the most interesting thing out there on a hot day.