Anyone interested in Coast 2 Coast Rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one ever finished an IBR without trying...

coolsmiley02.gif

IF I could give it away- I would give it to a rider from the 10,000 lakes area! After rewatching "Hard Miles 2" I am feeling an itch again.

I want to see what happens with the 200ccccc.

If all goes well, then it will be up to the wife AND some help putting the '05 in the ready mode.

IF I could give it away- I would give it to a rider from the 10,000 lakes area! After rewatching "Hard Miles 2" I am feeling an itch again.I want to see what happens with the 200ccccc.

If all goes well, then it will be up to the wife AND some help putting the '05 in the ready mode.
Ahh, Tony, the pull of the CBA is strong.. :devil:

Now then, go out there and ride the IBR thingie. Whatever that is.
flirt.gif

IF I could give it away- I would give it to a rider from the 10,000 lakes area! After rewatching "Hard Miles 2" I am feeling an itch again.I want to see what happens with the 200ccccc.

Did the thought of somebody nipping at your heels, trying to step into your shoes (was that a mixed metaphor?) get your competitive (or other) juices flowing?

Maybe the correct response was "Great! I'm moving to Minnesota! "

Too bad I was born in Buffalo, guess the Finger Lakes don't cut it...

;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
We got plenty of lakes here in Oklahoma. Not much else, but lakes we have :)

Did the thought of somebody nipping at your heels, trying to step into your shoes (was that a mixed metaphor?) get your competitive (or other) juices flowing?
That's the funny thing - I always thought I was competitive, but I guess I am not. In '13 I took my shot and was satisfied where I placed.

I could have done better, but then I could have done worse. I wish That I would have gotten into rallies earlier in life. When I was in the

Rally last year, I felt more like I was riding WITH others riders and not AGAINST them. I was so pleased to see Derek win and so many other friends

do well. At the start I remember looking around at all my heroes and riders I had followed in past events and thinking "What the heck am I doing here?"

It was my 2nd rally and it was the IBR… Thank goodness for full face helmets, because the fear in my eyes would have been quite obvious. The riders

that finish well in the IBR do not finish on top because of their names - they ride their butts off !

No, watching the movie just reminded me of the honor of being in the IBR. It is a grand event with tons of stress at the check points. Next years IBR

will be a great showdown of at least 5 riders who are just plain unbelievable. This forum will see one of its own duel against some past top finishers and

a newer member with a crazy ability to ride very long and difficult rides in amazingly short time frames.

I perhaps am disappointed at myself for taking a spot that could have been filled by some rookie wanting to ride out their dream… or perhaps a veteran

rider with a much better chance of finishing well. Either way it is water under the bridge and I need to get up for it or get out of it. Which brings me to my

thoughts at work tonight. I did my initial 100ccc with no gear. I wore a helmet that I had just purchased off Ebay for $15 just for the ride. I had a pair of

blue jeans, a blast jacket and I wore water socks- no shoes. But I carried determination ! Now I have the gear and I have the experience, but I have become

a wuss who wants to be comfortable and I lack determination that I used to have.

So I have decided to make this ride sooner than later and not wait till the summer temps cool down. I also want to start from home and end it so that I have at

least 10k under my wheels for another 10/10ths.

I hear the call of the 50CC/100CCC, but the time isn't right. My bride & I have a trip planned for late September/October.

BUT if your ride takes place in early Sept. And you need a signature/gopher/cheerleader in San Diego, drop me a PM and I'll be at your service. I'm just an hour up the coast and my bikes know the way!

Carpe Diem!

I hear the call of the 50CC/100CCC, but the time isn't right. My bride & I have a trip planned for late September/October.
BUT if your ride takes place in early Sept. And you need a signature/gopher/cheerleader in San Diego, drop me a PM and I'll be at your service. I'm just an hour up the coast and my bikes know the way!

Carpe Diem!
Leaning towards the 1st week in September.

I wish That I would have gotten into rallies earlier in life. When I was in theRally last year, I felt more like I was riding WITH others riders and not AGAINST them.
My thoughts exactly. I'm going to ask Lisa if she can use some checkpoint volunteers in the northeast next year. At least I can meet some of these legends and get a closer, slightly different perspective of the event.

I wish That I would have gotten into rallies earlier in life. When I was in theRally last year, I felt more like I was riding WITH others riders and not AGAINST them.
My thoughts exactly. I'm going to ask Lisa if she can use some checkpoint volunteers in the northeast next year. At least I can meet some of these legends and get a closer, slightly different perspective of the event.
Do you know something that I do not?

Released so far:

Start: Albuquerque

Checkpoint #1: Albuquerque

Checkpoint #2: ?

Finish: Albuquerque

Checkpoint #2 location is supposed to be announced in Denver (?)

Even IF I don't ride, I will be at the eastern checkpoint or at the finish.

That's the funny thing - I always thought I was competitive, but I guess I am not. In '13 I took my shot and was satisfied where I placed.I could have done better, but then I could have done worse. I wish That I would have gotten into rallies earlier in life. When I was in the

Rally last year, I felt more like I was riding WITH others riders and not AGAINST them. I was so pleased to see Derek win and so many other friends

do well. At the start I remember looking around at all my heroes and riders I had followed in past events and thinking "What the heck am I doing here?"

It was my 2nd rally and it was the IBR… Thank goodness for full face helmets, because the fear in my eyes would have been quite obvious. The riders

that finish well in the IBR do not finish on top because of their names - they ride their butts off !

No, watching the movie just reminded me of the honor of being in the IBR. It is a grand event with tons of stress at the check points. Next years IBR

will be a great showdown of at least 5 riders who are just plain unbelievable. This forum will see one of its own duel against some past top finishers and

a newer member with a crazy ability to ride very long and difficult rides in amazingly short time frames.

I perhaps am disappointed at myself for taking a spot that could have been filled by some rookie wanting to ride out their dream… or perhaps a veteran

rider with a much better chance of finishing well. Either way it is water under the bridge and I need to get up for it or get out of it. Which brings me to my

thoughts at work tonight. I did my initial 100ccc with no gear. I wore a helmet that I had just purchased off Ebay for $15 just for the ride. I had a pair of

blue jeans, a blast jacket and I wore water socks- no shoes. But I carried determination ! Now I have the gear and I have the experience, but I have become

a wuss who wants to be comfortable and I lack determination that I used to have.

So I have decided to make this ride sooner than later and not wait till the summer temps cool down. I also want to start from home and end it so that I have at

least 10k under my wheels for another 10/10ths.
My friend, you're in nearly the same predicament as me, only you have many, many more years riding & planning experience that I do. I attempted doing ten BBG's this June, and instead squeaked out just three (and a half). So much was learned from those 3, I am trying to convince myself to try again this fall with a whole new, much simpler, plan.

Dan

My friend, you're in nearly the same predicament as me, only you have many, many more years riding & planning experience that I do. I attempted doing ten BBG's this June, and instead squeaked out just three (and a half). So much was learned from those 3, I am trying to convince myself to try again this fall with a whole new, much simpler, plan.
Dan
Your IBA # is 48024 and mine was 38941, so I don't have much more time in than you. Perhaps experience is a liability?

You pulled off a BBG Trifecta … That is a heck of an accomplishment !

I miss the real VETS chiming in and mentoring new LD riders. When I started on this forum it was Iggy and SkooterG riding in the '09 IBR that got me into LD riding.

Some really great riders on this forum. The past 2 IBR winners were here. I am anxious to see Josh and Perry attempt to make it 3 in a row.

BTW- What is this "Planning" you speak of? I ride out of the driveway with junk falling off the bike! Perhaps thats why I like to start rides in Key West (It gives me time to remember what Ive forgotten

and pick the things up on my way back north)
rolleyes.gif

Good stuff for sure....and my mentor was the late, great John Ryan, over dinner one night here in PA.

My planning is really just redundancy - lots of damn redundancy - that is all. I had multiple spares of everything at the hotel just waiting for problems at the end of each BBG. And of course the only spare I needed was the one I didn't have (a spare Erica light). I came within 15 feet of doing a high-5 with a deer out there on my 4th BBG, and that was it for me - just too dangerous without real lights in rural WY. Sadly, they both failed when one failed.

Other than that? I personally visit each fuel stop just prior to the ride, purchase fuel, check receipts, then I walk in and confirm their hours. Then I look for a 2nd stop within eyesight of the main one (redundancy).

I only ride with a tank bag (full of tools, tire kit, pump, phone, flashlight, knife, food & drinks) and my fuel cell - no other luggage at all to keep weight down.

Getting sleepy is just horrible - you can't plan for it, as you know - and it can ruin a perfectly planned ride when you have to stop and sleep.

Your IBA # is 48024 and mine was 38941, so I don't have much more time in than you. Perhaps experience is a liability?You pulled off a BBG Trifecta … That is a heck of an accomplishment !

I miss the real VETS chiming in and mentoring new LD riders. When I started on this forum it was Iggy and SkooterG riding in the '09 IBR that got me into LD riding.

Some really great riders on this forum. The past 2 IBR winners were here. I am anxious to see Josh and Perry attempt to make it 3 in a row.

BTW- What is this "Planning" you speak of? I ride out of the driveway with junk falling off the bike! Perhaps thats why I like to start rides in Key West (It gives me time to remember what Ive forgotten

and pick the things up on my way back north)
rolleyes.gif