Anyone ride with ski gloves?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was me, I'd get the heated jacket and wear warm gloves or use cheap heated liners (that's what I do) under MC gloves. Keeping your core warm is much more important and difficult. Considering you can buy a Gen 3 liner for $200, it's a good deal, and saves packing a lot of bulky insulating items. The only wiring is a connection to the battery terminal with the wiring harness. I got my heated gear after taking a long cross country trip in 2010, and ended up extremely chilled in Ohio. It wasn't even that cold, just a long day and my reserves were gone. No insulation can make you warm like an electric liner. I don't have a problem with cold hands, so that has not been a real big deal for me, but a cold core is the end of the ride. Get the jacket. With regard to brand, I prefer W&S but it's kind of like an oil thread. Every one has good gear, and it's a major step up over not having electric gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a problem keeping my core warm. Maybe it's just me, but a base layer and a sweatshirt under my jacket is more than enough to keep me warm. Same with my legs. And if I really need warmth - you know, when it's below zero - I can always put on my BMW Motorrad rainsuit and I'd be warm riding to the North Pole. All I really need is the heated gloves because my hands get cold quickly. I know, I'm weird, right?

Okay, gentlemen, using the search feature I will do my research on Gerbings versus Warm & Safe.

Here's another question: any truly great motorcycle shops in the Rockies. My trip will take me through Pueblo, Montrose, Gunnison, Grand Junction, Jackson, WY, Billings, MT. I try to avoid really big cities because, really, what the heck is there to see in the city? I might be hitting Salt Lake City. I might also be riding through Rapid City, SD. Any recommendations for a great motorcycle store where I can stop and browse the inventory, and maybe try on some of these heated gloves I'll be dropping several hundred dollars on?

I have several pairs of good quality ski gloves, but none of them worked well on the bike. Either way too bulky or not warm enough, or both. I sprung for a pair of Revit Alaska gloves, and they were much better, but still not quite warm enough for me in subfreezing temps. Next season I'll try some heated liners.

If it was me, I'd get the heated jacket and wear warm gloves or use cheap heated liners (that's what I do) under MC gloves. Keeping your core warm is much more important and difficult.
I think it depends on the person but, speaking from experience. both are equally important. Cold hands make feeling the bike and managing the controls difficult.

Anyone have any experience with Gerbing's S2 battery-powered heated glove? I am seriously considering these gloves because I can use them on the bike, and away from the bike, also, without having to be wired.

I've gotten good use out of the Gerbing G3 gloves. Use them with a jacket liner and a dualtroller. That said, the gloves I use skiing are probably as durable and the nylon is heaver than the leather in the gerbings. I've used them on a couple of occasions before getting the gerbings, not quite as warm, but better than the other riding gloves I had at the time.

Gerbing is moving their production back to the USA. This won't be of interest to some folks, but for me it is a major factor. I try to buy US sourced stuff whenever I can, and its nice to have a first rate company like Gerbing on their way home.

Some nice non-heated winter gloves are BMW Pro Winter 2 Gloves, for about $145/pair. They're not made in the USA, but they're not made in China either. In any case, the quality is good, they are warm, they will keep you dry, and they work well with your heated grips. I like these better than my ski gloves.