Anyone ride without windshield?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blacked out is most excellent on an ultra-shorty shield, too.
That's what I did to my scratched OEM after I cut it down. I liked the clean air-flow so much that after I sold the FJR I ended up buying a naked bike... :rolleyes:

To be honest though I miss my FJR every time I get to 65 mph or faster, but I am learning to tuck down instead. On an FJR a cut-down OEM shield still gives you the option of raising it enough to keep the air off your chest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode with the shortened windshield with Lip a bit today on both backroads and highway and it was great. I know it has scratches but don't really look through the windshield much anymore so not a big deal; also, when the windshield is at its lowest, you don't notice the scratches with asphalt as the background going by. Also, I'm not quite ready to paint it black. At this point, I'm still in the trail phase (trial is going well so far) but only have a day and a half into the trial.

The benefits include: sportier look, more wind in the helmet vents for a cool head and air in the jacket inlets, an almost windshield-less feel (like you get on a naked bike), etc.

The only downsides are obvious -- more bug guts on helmet, added noise fatigue, etc.
Dennis, are you saying the Lip adds wind noise to the shortened screen?

Which lip do you have - 10, 14, 18 incher?

Dennis, are you saying the Lip adds wind noise to the shortened screen?

Which lip do you have - 10, 14, 18 incher?
Hi, I am using the Laminar Lip and for 2010 FJR, it comes in one size. It helps to smooth out the air and gives a little more quiet pocket for me to duck into.

Without the Laminar Lip, the short shield is just too short for long highway rides.

Dennis

I rode all over California back in the early 60's with no windscreen or bags, just bungee cords and bugs in my teeth. Didn't have air conditioning in many of the cars then either. Those were the days. lol :lol:

I rode all over California back in the early 60's with no windscreen or bags, just bungee cords and bugs in my teeth. Didn't have air conditioning in many of the cars then either. Those were the days. lol :lol:
LOL Simpler times indeed. I loved the wind in my face but every time I got an any backroad, I got hit with stuff falling from trees, bugs and who knows what. Even at a tame 40mph it stings and makes me yell "ouch!" When I use that small shield, I wear the full face helmet or my 3/4 helmet with full face shield.

Dennis

If I lived in a more temperate region (and didn't require getting out of the midwest) I wouldn't own a FJR.

Think I remember you. Didn't they used to call you

Probably so, Mike. Seriously, I was stationed at El Toro Naval Air Base as the time. Loved to get on Hwy 1 at San Luis Obispo and ride up to Monterrey. I miss those days. :)

my cee baileys -3

polomarpic2.jpg