Anyone see this?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a Gen I? If so...would it possibly work on your Gen II?

I've never found vibration substantial enough to warrant purposely making the handlebars more spongy....at least nothing a TBS or different set of grips didn't fix.

With my level of nerve damage I am willing to try anything to be able to ride without pain. :angry2:

Cary

Horseshit. I did that many moons ago. No discernable difference whatsoever. Except placebo maybe.

You added ape hangers on yer scoot? When was that?....the sixties?

You added ape hangers on yer scoot? When was that?....the sixties?
Hey, I like the "Free" feeling of having my arm-pit hairs waving in the breeze.

No, really I was replying to the original post and not you nut-heads replies. ;)

:clapping:
Came across this at the TivoCommunity forum. Maybe we should consider adopting it? :glare:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems we have a lot of members with nothing better to do with their time than to reply to new members with things like "Search the forum" and "Read the manual". These replies will now be getting you suspended. The average Joe doesn't have time to sit around an internet forum for hours on end. I know I don't and I work here. They just have a question they'd like answered. Either answer it or move along to the next thread. This forum was built for people to help others, not to tell them they should be able to find the answer without asking. Keep in mind, you only get two suspensions before your account is closed. It takes less time to answer a question (and even less to walk away) than to come up with a sarcastic reply that seems witty to you.
:rolleyes:

That is a classic fix that was common for dirt bikes from the 70's. If it works great .

I have thought about doing something similiar to my bars.

If it seems rather crude and foolish than why do they engine mounts use rubber in their mounts................

VUBRATION VIBRATION AND MORE VIBRATION

My personal opinion is "Don't do it!" The handlebars are designed to be hard mounted. Bars could loosen due to not being in complete contact. Only true way to do it would be to bore the handlebars for rubber isolator w/steel bushings and steel washer to capture it on top so that the handlebar would float. Even then I don't like the thought of the bars moving around. No feed back! Just buy bigger/softer grips!

I suppose it just stands to reason that some people are more sensitive to vibration than others. I see plenty of people riding around with stock grips and nothing seems to bother them. I use tacki grips because the vibration did bother me and the grips solved the problem. Whether the looseness is where the bar joins the triple tree, or where my hand joins the handle, I don't know if it makes a big difference. I do know that the tracki grip seems less invasive and less likely to cause problems down the road, and easier to reverse out if I change my mind.

If it seems rather crude and foolish than why do they engine mounts use rubber in their mounts................
Rubber engine mounts "isolate" the actual connection. This doesn't due to the way it is bolted together. For it to even attempt to isolate the vibration, the bolts would have to be loose enough to allow vibration absorption through the rubber. The bolts would then continue to loosen due to the very vibration you're trying to isolate. BTDT. Then, if you tighten the bolts a torque value that will prevent them from loosening, you have just reinforced a path for the vibration. Ya'll feel free to try it if you think it will help. I did it and I could not tell any difference whatsoever.

[I did it and I could not tell any difference whatsoever.

Thats what I was looking for ...Thanks. I did have ape hangers :yahoo: ............................on my stingray bike!

Cary

Hi guys,

I'm the guy on the other site that did the mod to the bars. It is an 04 and it did get rid of the vibes. It has not worked loose yet, but I guess it is possible. If you don't carry tools with you, and you are not smart enough to lock-tite the bolts, and you are not smart enough to check the bolts periodically, then I wouldn't try this either. I have had a TBS done, but it was just set at idle, not at higher rpm's. Waiting on my sync tubes so I can do the sync myself, hope that works. There is absolutely no loss of feel in the bars, and they feel as tight as they were. I ride hard and have been doing so for about 16 yrs. (got my first scooter at 18). If the in depth TBS works I will undo this mod. This bike is the only FJR that I know of personally that vibes this bad, I've ridden others (my stepfather's) and they are super smooth ,like the ones you guys have that make the comments like , " I guess some people are just more sensitive to vibes than others ." Bullcrap, there are just a few FJR's out there that vibrate like hell!!! I was lucky enough to but one. As for the bars working loose, they are sprayed with 3m adhesive on both sides of the rubber, the bars aren't moving.