Anyone use tank bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No argument here, the Alps is the one to beat!

I use an SW Motech ION with tank ring for short stuff and an RKA expandable for long stuff.

No issues with the magnets sliding.
Magnets on mine are VERY secure as well. Scratches happen when lifting and replacing the bag. Inevitably, some movement no matter how careful you are in lifting (and replacing) the magnets individually.

I never leave home without it. I have the Yamaha offering, it has a permanent base that attaches around the steering neck, and back of the tank. Covers the entire tank. Then the bag itself detaches for fill ups, etc. Not waterproof, but very few are. (Even when they say they are) Tank stays nice; AND it was a deal! Yamaha products are typically well-made and very robust. Com'on Spring!!

Pete-o

Attachments

• IMG_1704 FJR.jpg
    IMG_1704 FJR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
We have saved a ton of money and gone with a smallish cortech 2.0 magetic bag. Expands to 10 liter but the standard unexpanded size works 95% of the time.

Buy on Amazon for under 125$ and no regrets. We have 2 one for wife one for me and just move from bike to bike.

https://amzn.to/49whE64

Last edited:
I have a few SW Motech bags for my different bikes. If you want a larger bag, I've found that the SW Motech City bag fits well on the FJR. The SW GS bag is too tall to fit well, although it might work with a Frankentank and/or the seat in the low position.

RKA makes beautiful, durable stuff, but have become amazingly expensive. I have had several of their products. For the last 15 years or so, I have been very happy with a couple different Cortech bags. I don't go anywhere on either bike without my tankbag. When I was young, I thought tank bags were stupid because they "ruined" the looks of the bike. Now that I am older, I realize how utterly stupid that theory is and was. As a matter of fact, the rider ruins the look of any bike once he mounts the steed. Cripes. I am still stupid, but in my youth I was stupider.

I don't use a tank bag daily, but need it for travelling. This is my load to go to Sebring for the 12-hours one year. Not just clothes, shoes, and hats, but tent, sleeping bag and pillow, camp chair, rain gear, and my laptop and camera gear. That bag does hit the kill switch, so I keep my thumb over it when maneuvering in parking areas. As someone said earlier, not waterproof, but the cover that it comes with is, and has been tested.

34329073961_950c9b9e39_c.jpg

53557976438_5234d48480_b.jpg

Last edited:
I don't use a tank bag daily, but need it for travelling. This is my load to go to Sebring for the 12-hours one year. Not just clothes, shoes, and hats, but tent, sleeping bag and pillow, camp chair, rain gear, and my laptop and camera gear. That bag does hit the kill switch, so I keep my thumb over it when maneuvering in parking areas. As someone said earlier, not waterproof, but the cover that it comes with is, and has been tested.

I hit the horn too when I use mine...

What is the manufacturer name and model number, please? Also a recommended vendor if you have one. Thanks!