Anyone use tank bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicrocker

Reaction score
Thinking about a low profile tank bag for my 08 FJR. dont need to put much in it. Just thinking about ease of access for stuff like garage door opener, charger, drink, etc.
What are your thoughts, and options.
P.s. I do like to take very tight turns, which is why I think low profile might work.

Tank bags are awesome! I have many! I don't use one for my daily driver, but for a longer day ride and definitely for touring I have one on there. I use bigger one's for touring. Smaller one's for day rides. I have the old magnetic Yamaha FJR bag which is pretty big and two of the SW-Motech bags like the fart smeller escapefjrtist above. One med-lg, and one small.

The small tank ring SW-Motech:

1000004628.jpg

The large old Yamaha FJR magnetic tank bag (In the awesome Swiss Alps this past July btw):

1000009739.jpg

- the other G

Last edited:
Have and use a couple different SW-Motech tank bags with gas tank rings. Easy on/off and convenient for stashing small items for quick access.

~G
Agree on the SW, used an Oxford, magnetic attachment which I liked, without any problems whatsoever for 15 years, only drawback was it was not waterproof and relied on a cover which had a tendency to blow off the very few times I got caught in the rain.

+1 for SW-Motech bags. Several sizes. I've used a magnetic tank bag for decades and never had a problem with stability with any of them. But they will mar up your tank. Used the Held II carry magnetic for years and loved it, until I needed to replace it and didn't like the "improved" version.

I've moved to the (albeit a little pricier) SW-Motech with their tank ring that holds the bag up off the tank. Like previously mentioned, their new design is very easy on / off. You can find a bunch of videos on YouTube about them.

SW Motech MICRO with the magnetic tank ring. Very easy on/off as the bag finds the ring and locks in securely. A little pricey but worth it. Grab n Go when I park the bike,
What he said! I've used either the micro or next size up depending on tank size for years, they are a bit pricey but you'll smile every time you use them for the sake of convenience
another note , Ive tried two different magnetic bags over the past 45 years but have NOT ever found one that didn't scratch your tank with fine hairline marks from sand and grit collecting underneath. The FJR has a beautifully finished tanked but it is not the most durable finish.

Curious, is that FJR a bike you have kept overseas? Or did you find a rental company that rents FJR's? Just looking for information for a future trip.

Thanks,

That is one of my FJRs I shipped over in 2019. I did my dream trip - 2 months riding across Europe. Back then, the break-even of shipping one of mine over vs. renting was about 3.5 weeks. So, for a two month trip it was a no brainer to ship one of my FJRs over. Other advantages were having a bike set-up/farkled the way I want it, and the copious amount of speed cameras in Europe don't work with an Arizona license plate! ;)

While doing all the research for this I ran across Knopf Tours. He does all the work. He also makes it easy to get bike insurance, health insurance, Euro version of AAA roadside assistance and whatever else you need. He has a Moto BnB with approximately 15 rooms. Fly to Frankfurt. He picks you up and brings you to his location in Heidelberg. Your bike will be waiting outside your room. Also he tells me during all this initial research that he will store the bike for $375/year. Well, that was a no-brainer!

So, I have been back every year since except 2020 due to Covid. Riding around Europe, especially the Alps has been highlight of my life. I can't recommend strongly enough that everyone should do this once in their lifetime.

Currently, shipping bike from Orlando to his location is $1,400. That is via container and sea. Bike should be shipped 3 months prior to planned trip. Just need to figure out how to get it to Orlando. Check out his website for more details.

Last edited:
I use a fairly large Nelson Rigg magnetic tank bag on trips. Not waterproof but it has a waterproof cover. Interferes with the bars at full steering lock (with Genmar risers) but not during normal riding.
Note for magnetic tank bags: Grit ALWAYS finds it way under the magnets no matter how carefully you clean them. To prevent scratches to the paint, I use painters tape on the tank at the landing spots for the magnets. I used to put a microfibre towel under the tank bag as well but I found it to be a pain to resituate after refueling and a mess when it got wet in the rain.

Tank bag gets used for water, spare gloves, waterproof glove covers, camera, phone, sunscreen, snacks, power bank (to recharge), spare earplugs, etc.

What he said! I've used either the micro or next size up depending on tank size for years, they are a bit pricey but you'll smile every time you use them for the sake of convenience
another note , Ive tried two different magnetic bags over the past 45 years but have NOT ever found one that didn't scratch your tank with fine hairline marks from sand and grit collecting underneath. The FJR has a beautifully finished tanked but it is not the most durable finish.
I have always used 3M PPF (paint protection film) on my tanks so scratching has never been a problem, 2 FJRs and a VFR, because the BMW I have is plastic of course no magnets work.

I have always used 3M PPF (paint protection film) on my tanks so scratching has never been a problem, 2 FJRs and a VFR, because the BMW I have is plastic of course no magnets work.
I have the PPF on some locations on my FJR, but not the tank. Painter's tape is ugly but works and can be easily removed (or refreshed). If I used the tank bag all the time, I would probably use the 3M product on at least the main contact points.
I also have a BMW (F700GS) with a plastic "Tank". I managed just fine with the magnetic tank bag on a TransLab trip last year. I put patches of painter's tape on the magnet landing points. I then taped on large galvanized steel fender washers. Held the tank bag just fine.
Edit: Just make sure that the fender washers are buffered by a few layers of tape between the washer and body parts and they are on a relatively flat surface so the edges don't dig into the paint.

Last edited:
Thinking about a low profile tank bag for my 08 FJR. dont need to put much in it. Just thinking about ease of access for stuff like garage door opener, charger, drink, etc.
What are your thoughts, and options.
P.s. I do like to take very tight turns, which is why I think low profile might work.
I have a magnetic tank bag, made my life much easier for producing an ID to get on post, keep my shades and a hat easy to get to. Put my insurance card in it. No issues with the magnets sliding.