Anyone using G2 "competition" cam throttle tube on Gen2/09?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakmambo

Reaction score
I've read through a number of posts and threads on the G2 throttle tamer, but searching here and google didn't seem to find anything on the "competition" option from G2. After riding the 09 for awhile I have grown used to the off/on lean bog and the problems of that in the turns, for which I'm seeing from posts that that problem was "fixed" in 08 and "gone" in 09--I can "work around" those issues.

The more significant issue now seems to be the amount of wrist twisting needed to get the bike into freeway speeds, combined with a heavy throttle pull; I have an old ZG Kawi that doesn't require much twisting at all to do **legal** speeds, but the FJR in comparison does. Can anyone offer any comment on using the G2 competition (.050) cam as far as whether it is tractable enough to run through tight turns, and then jump on the freeway and be able to get into CA speed zone without re-gripping or riding along with the wrist bent way down?

I don't need to be the first guy away from the light or through the turn, I'm riding two-up much of the time, I need smooth acceleration w/o going to WFO such that the better half isn't dumped -- yet be up with the traffic. I have a Throttle Rocker which helps with the heavy throttle spring problem, but it seems like the stock 09 throttle needs to rotate quite a bit and then it's drag race time. Looking for quick but smooth and controllable in the turns--any hope that the competition cam could help out there OR nope it's way too twitchy????

TIA

Mambo

I'm thinking your issue is RPM rather than the throttle needing to be open more (maybe). I have never found that the throttle needs a lot of twist but it doesn't "leap" much until RPM hits 4500 or so. Try winding it up and shifting a bit later. On the other hand, is there a possibility that timing is off a tooth from the last valve check or CCT replacement? A symptom is poor response at smaller throttle openings.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ross:

Thanks for the thoughts, but bike is ~19K so no valve check in the last two years and no CCT replacement. If I was riding alone I suppose I could "wind it up" and/or ride the freeway in 3rd at higher rpm, that's just not an option with the cautious gal sitting behind me w/o backrest--hence my question about the G2 comp. cam to get a little more action on the throttle w/o having to move it through a larger range. It all needs to smooth and easy with my pillion on board.

BlkMambo

Quicker acceleration is quicker acceleration. Whether it's a "faster cam" or a down shift, they both mean getting from lower speed to higher speed faster. Your solution may be a backrest.

I absolutely do not have throttle issues, like you describe, with my '07. When I want to go, she goes.

No need to ride the freeway in third but don't run 45 mph in 5th and expect your arms to be pulled out of their sockets when you want to pass something or accelerate to freeway speeds at an on-ramp. For reasonably spirited performance, the FJR likes to be 4,000 rpm or higher. Roll-on acceleration from 2,000 rpm in any gear is not particularly impressive. In any case, the G2 isn't going to do a thing for you.

Well, your the first person I've heard of with this problem and I never heard of anyone changing out to a G2 competition. Why don't you give one a try and report back to us. That seems to be what this forum is best at. Finding a problem the rest of us didn't know we had and convincing me to throw money at it.
smile.png

I installed a G2 throttle tamer on my 07AE FJR on my first FJR when I first joined this forum because of the recommendations from others, but I didn't know I had a throttle problem until I read it here. That was the start of a long expensive FJRForum.com membership.

No need to ride the freeway in third but don't run 45 mph in 5th and expect your arms to be pulled out of their sockets when you want to pass something or accelerate to freeway speeds at an on-ramp. For reasonably spirited performance, the FJR likes to be 4,000 rpm or higher. Roll-on acceleration from 2,000 rpm in any gear is not particularly impressive. In any case, the G2 isn't going to do a thing for you.
I just brought my new (out of the box) 2006 FJR1300A home last night and rode it for the first time this morning. I love the bike and had a great ride except the throttle is so hard to twist I came back with my wrist throbbing after just an hour ride. That has never happened with any bike I have ever ridden. My wrist strength is good and I don't have carpal tunnel syndrome. Did the dealer forget to adjust it?
@Ross:

OK, thanks for the reply and typically I have no problem reving to 4K or more to @ upshift; thanks for the thoughts about "roll-on acceleration from 2K not being to exhilarating" which sure, wouldn't expect that to be the case and not asking for that--possibly that could explain parts of the issue, but this would be roll-on from 60mph that isn't too snappy. I find the bike to be consummately smooth, great in the turns, but more like a freight train on freeway acceleration in the 4 - 5K rev range--we will "get there" in due time--possibly taller gears than the Gen1???

I still am looking for direct experience with the competition G2 installed; I found a thread yesterday where someone was asking about a "quick turn" throttle, but they didn't post back with results and I couldn't find it again today. Instead I found the other quote of someone posting about a similar issue of "tight throttle"--possibly with more miles the bike will "loosen up"??? Question is how long will that take, or if some small mods will impact the issue.

@HRZ: Yes, could be backrest would be one of those "less expensive" "solutions."

Mambo, if your bike has "lax acceleration" something is wrong. Try and find another owner near you, willing to swap bikes for a couple miles. I have never thought, even once, that my FJR is lacking acceleration.

Was that valve check done when you were the owner? Has the bike ways felt this way? You're having a problem that shouldn't be a problem.

Mambo, if your bike has "lax acceleration" something is wrong. Try and find another owner near you, willing to swap bikes for a couple miles. I have never thought, even once, that my FJR is lacking acceleration.
Was that valve check done when you were the owner? Has the bike ways felt this way? You're having a problem that shouldn't be a problem.
HRZ:

No valve check since I've owned the bike, still at 19K or so. Nothing has "changed" in terms of handling. I'm monitoring the issue, but it would be good if there was a way to confirm my experience. I'm usually not in a hurry, as I use riding to "decompress" from life in LA; but freeway is the place where some more zip is required for survival.

... with a heavy throttle pull ......

Mambo
Have you done the throttle spring unwind? Helps the wrist significantly.
Have not gotten there yet, I saw the posts where guys have even "removed the center spring" rather than unwinding it-which seems perhaps questionable safety wise. If I have some other reason to get under the hood on it, might give it a try; busy with real life stuff these days. I was thinking it would be quicker/easier to get to the throttle tube than to dig down through the layers to get to the spring--leading to my question on the competition cam.

If you have a "ZG Kawasaki" Concours that you think is faster with a stock throttle than a 2009 FJR, you need to attend a Tech Day ASAP. Your bike is broke, or you are. That's just plain ridiculous.

If you have a "ZG Kawasaki" Concours that you think is faster with a stock throttle than a 2009 FJR, you need to attend a Tech Day ASAP. Your bike is broke, or you are. That's just plain ridiculous.
The actual quote:

I have an old ZG Kawi that doesn't require much twisting at all to do **legal** speeds, but the FJR in comparison does.
So it has to do with twisting effort/distanced turned that is required for speed gains, not whether one is faster than the other. Possibly relating to the throttle spring issue.

The actual quote:

I have an old ZG Kawi that doesn't require much twisting at all to do **legal** speeds, but the FJR in comparison does.
So it has to do with twisting effort/distanced turned that is required for speed gains, not whether one is faster than the other. Possibly relating to the throttle spring issue.
I guess that's why those of us with superior gen I FJRs are just wondering....WTF?

The GenII does not have a throttle "distance" issue. Some people whined because the spring on the '06s and '07s were too stiff for their delicate hands. Yet another problem my bike never had. Now that I think about it, my '07 must be magical, or maybe people just like to bitch and cry for no reason.

Either way, what the OP says he has is not what that prior discussion was all about. Reading comprehension and an accurate memory should help with that. I love how now, we just make shit up.

Thanks for the various opinions, I'll probably see if I can re-find that thread about the "quick turn" throttle and if I can find it PM the OP there and see if he did the mod and survived to post back on it.