Arai Corsair v. Shoei X-11

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
Can anyone compare these two? It's just about time for me to update my lids and am considering these two...

That tough to ask subjective questions like that. It's like "which oil do you use?". You're going to get 1000 different answers. But mine would be the Arai. I've never had a better helmet. I've had Shoeis, HJC, AFX, and I found the Arai to be the most comfortable. Just my $.02. Good luck.

Can anyone compare these two? It's just about time for me to update my lids and am considering these two...
They're both good helmets. Try them both on and see which fits best. The x-11 fits me best.

LZ

Comes down to what fits you best. I just got an X-11, and like it quite a bit. I leaks a little bit is a hard rain, when doing about 80 MPH, but it vents so well, I am willing to deal with it. The ONLY thing I heard as a negative about the Corair was problems with parts breaking when changing the shield, and more problems getting the parts replaced. I was able to get a great deal on my X-11, which decided it for me. Check out www.notorcyclegearreview.com for more opinions.

Although I use exclusively Arai, I would stick with whichever brand you currently wear if you like your current comfort. If you find that you want more comfort, you should check out Arai's site regarding fit and head-shapes. I have a long-oval head -- so i wear a Profile. The Corsair and Quantum are round-oval shapes, wheras the Vector is an intermediate oval. I like the Shoeis I used to wear, I found them quieter, just nowhere near as comfy,, and the paint on the Arais are second to none.

i own both. both seem to fit pretty well. Comfort is about the same. The Shoei x-11 is quieter - better aero shape and a bit taller with better sealing at the bottom to keep wind noise down around the bottom of the helmet. z-11 is warmer in cooler weather. Ventilation is about the same, with the Shoe being a bit more controllable. The Arai seem to allow more air in the helmet in warmer weather - not sure if its through the vents - but I think that a good bit of air flows in from the bottom of the helmet - there seems to be more air flow around my face with the Corsair than the x-11. Probably most telling is that I wear the x-11 most of the time, mostly because it's less noisy.

Having to do it over again, I'd probably look at the Quantum from Arai, vs the corsair - again mostly because of the noise level. I had a Quantum a number of years ago and it was very comfortable.

Rack my opinion with those that say you should pick the one that's most comfortable. They're both excellent lids. I wear a Nolan because it makes my head happy.

And kind of off topic, but cool: Watchng the F1 race today, the announcers mentioned that Adrian Newey -- legendary designer who now works for Red Bull Racing -- insists that drivers wear Arai because they work so much better with the car designers on aerodynamics.